Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 quick project to teach kids - real quick
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I'm just back from a mini-knit-out at a local school fair. A buddy and I had a Learn to Knit booth. We had a display of our knitted projects (the felt hats were the most popular) and several skeins of yarn and a motley assortment of needles. The idea was to introduce kids to knitting so we had them make Penny Pouches. The knitters cast on 10 stitches and then had the children knit 8 rows of garter stitch. We did the casting off, leaving a good size tail - maybe 6 inches. We then gave them a tapestry needle and showed them how to fold the tiny strip in half lengthwise and sew up the sides. With the bumps on the ends of the garter stitch selvedges now marching around the opening of the little bags, it was easy for the kids to thread the longer of the two sewing up threads through the bumps to make a drawstring. I had a bowl of plastic beads with wide holes and they threaded the tail yarn through a bead and tied it off. Voila - a little drawstring bag big enough for a ring or a pair of earings, or a penny : the Penny Pouch.

The rankest beginner could finish this in about 15 or 20 minutes and the pouches were the "coolest thing at the fair" according to one girl.

I also had a signup sheet for anybody interested in classes. Just maybe we started some future knitter on the journey.

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  6:18:16 PM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
Bravo Bess! I am 100% for teaching the next generations the lovely art of knitting. I was taught by my Mom, I have taught my daughters, and I try and teach anyone who shows any interest should they see me knitting and ask. I have even been known to make a pair of needles from chop sticks - and "armed" with a scrap ball of yarn for when someone shows interst and there is time - I teach them on the "chop sticks" and send them home with the needles and wool - happy as clams!

It stirs quite an interst at the doctor's office waiting room!!!!

Keep up the good work! We should all follow your example!

KathyT

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?