Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 getting supplies organized
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ladyjane142@hotmail.com
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  05:00:00 AM  Show Profile Send ladyjane142@hotmail.com a Private Message
I really have to get more organized with my needles (especially circulars) and yarn. Any ideas?
Thanks, Jane

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  06:54:25 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I got this idea for organizing needles on here a few weeks back. I went to Staples and bought a 4 inch ring binder and some plastic sleeves (page protectors) that have a flap at the top to secure whatever you put in them. I put one circular needle per page, labeled them with a sharpie and then put them in the binder in order by size. So far, it works great!
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1940 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  06:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
Jane, I use and LOVE the Circular Solution for circulars. It hangs from the back of my bedroom door and I have loaded it with the circulars. Purchased it from KnitPicks.com.

As for straights...Lantern Moons are in a vase on the mantle, bamboo and wood are in a teapot in the dining room, older metal are in a box that's under my knitting chair.

Double points are in a large zip lock bag. The matching double point solution from the same company is on my wish list for Christmas.

Yarn...it's everywhere! The just bought yarn is in baskets around the house, and then I have a shelving unit that has more packed into it. It's covered with a quilt so it looks like a table.

I hope that helps.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  07:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
I purchased a hanging shoe rack that hangs in the guest room closet. Each pocket holds a type of needle - circular, straight, wood, metal - with the other pockets holding notions - row counters, cable needles, etc. It's been a great solution for me.

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:22:45 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I like the binder with page protectors idea. I have a 3" binder with these page protectors that I use to keep my favorite patterns, notes, sample swatches, etc. I like this because I can slide it under a piece of furniture, or prop against the wall, and it's always handy to pull from or add to. This is the only way I have found for me to keep the paper organized. Now, I just put my circs in a big zip-lock plastic bag, but I think I'll try the page protectors, or maybe punch 3 holes in a couple of bags. Thanks for this idea.
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  1:01:29 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
I like the Circular Solution because my needles are always ready to use without having to uncoil them each time. Mine has plenty of room in the pockets, so I have all my straight needles in there, too. At a glance I can see if the needles I need are there or wrapped around another project somewhere.
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  07:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
I am so boring, I keep my ciurculars in one of those plastic shoe type boxes. I also keep my other small items like stitch holders, tapestry needles, etc., in there. I love those boxes because I have tons of craft supplies and I can see through them to tell what's in them. That's a big plus for me because if I can't see something I tend to forget I have it.

"SmellyCat, SmellyCat, what are they feeding you?"
Go to Top of Page

knitstuff
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitstuff's Homepage Send knitstuff a Private Message
I keep all my circs on a skirt hanger, the kind with the clips at either end. I've also found that for most of them, well 24" and longer, that this keeps the cord in between the needles straighter as well.

Best part of all it really didn't cost me anything because it was a hanger I had around the house!

Jen

I'm walking 60 miles for a cure for breast cancer, will you sponsor me? https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=61809&lis=0&kntae61809=F166DFC98F0C4702A05AE84E4F484E02&supId=62177617
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  8:56:39 PM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message
Hi Friends,

As for storage of straights, I received a large canister filled with snack mix as a gift. I figure I can wash it out when empty and then put in straight needles. It looks like it can hold 14 inch ones without a problem.

It's also a way to Reuse something.

Linda

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

knitstuff
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitstuff's Homepage Send knitstuff a Private Message
Just remembered one of my hints for organizing little items such as stitch markers, bobbins, yarn needles, point protectors and the like.

I use old Altoid tins for all the little stuff like that. I'm currently using the Altoid Sour Candy tins (the round ones) for this. I like these as they are a bit deeper than the regular Altoid tins, and they just look cooler. Another good thing that comes from me liking these sour candies is that they come in different flavors, so each color of tin can hold similar items such as stitch markers in one color tin and so forth.

Sorry if this seems rambling, but I am fighting a horrible cold that I thought I would be over with by the time I go back to work tomorrow.

Jen

I'm walking 60 miles for a cure for breast cancer, will you sponsor me? https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=61809&lis=0&kntae61809=F166DFC98F0C4702A05AE84E4F484E02&supId=62177617
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:27:56 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I use see-through cosmetic-type bags for circulars in my knitting bag and wash pill containers to store stitch markers.

By the way, get better, all you people out there with colds and flu!

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I tried Kristi's suggestion (knottyknitter) and it works GREAT! I also use the binder to hold cable needles and dpns, and there is a slot for the needle gauge. I feel much more organized now!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  09:25:45 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
My binder came from the Bass Pro shop: it's called a bait book, I think. It has small pockets I can keep stitch markers etc. in plus you can add more "pages" as you need to.

I think the circular solution is terrific...but I'm usually running out of the house at the last minute. I need to be able to grab and run. One of these days, I'll get organized. Yeah, right!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
I guess I'm getting off relatively easy compared to lots of people here--my stash doesn't quite consume my entire apartment--yet!

But it was taking up a lot of room in my bedroom because I just piled up the bags from the LYS's in a corner by my window, which looked horribly messy and was getting on my nerves!

I don't have a lot of room in my apt. for any more bookcases and stuff, so I bought two plastic under-the-bed storage bins from Wal-Mart. So one contains all my yarn, and the other contains all my needles and some magazines and stuff. I'd love to display all my needles in some lovely jars but I just don't have the room. Sigh-someday I'll have my own studio/yarn room. Until then...under the bed goes everything.

http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  1:24:46 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I use the Circular Solution and love it. I have it in the hallway coat closet. The shorter circs ie 12" and 16" I use one of the girls discarded CD cases. It works wonderfully and isn't as expensive as the ones you buy for needles...That's where I got the idea actually, I saw some circ cases on line and they wanted 35 dollars for them...the CD cases which will hold up to 50 pairs are less than 15-20 dollars. I have my favorite bamboo circs in a wonderful homemade case from Dee. It works wonderfully and it goes easily in my knitting bag. I also have some of my favorite DPN's in with the circs. My ebony and other precious wood dpns that I love. I use a beautiful hand made vase to hold my prettier straight needles in the living room. It was made by a forum member I purchased at year before lasts retreat. My metal straights I have in the top drawer of the knitting dresser I have in the dining room in long plastic boxes. I have another cloth case I use for my everyday DPN's. Then of course everywhere you look that I sit there are loose needles hanging around. Once in a while I take a walk around the house and pick up all of them and put them where they belong. It felt great once I had all my tools/needles organized. Now for my stash that's pushing me out of house and home!!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  1:48:40 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
I just keep my circulars in gallon ziploc bags labeled with the size which are kept in a large plastic box. I have also read that accordian files work well also.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

myholidayboyz
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  3:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit myholidayboyz's Homepage Send myholidayboyz a Private Message
I made my own needle holders using patterns in the SnB. I'm finding that I'm pretty crafty with my sewing machine. Pictures are posted on http://barbknits.blogspot.com.

~barb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?