Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Is it time yet?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mom.inc
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  07:19:12 AM  Show Profile Send mom.inc a Private Message
Received word last month that my daughter will be remarrying next spring and was requested to "do something" for him, his 4 daughters and a boyfriend. 6 of 7 Christmas stockings are done! Now I need to figure out what to do for the rest of the family, as that was the gift last year. May actually have to break down and purchase gifts (a real no-no at my house). M

Marian Kinkead
Go to Top of Page

iknitsox
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  09:21:34 AM  Show Profile Send iknitsox a Private Message
I keep trying to work on my Christmas projects (always wool socks - the relatives beg for them!) but we've added two new little members to the family this August so had to do baby blankets. Also have done knitting and crocheting for the charitable project "Afghans for Afghans." They need afghans, mittens, hats, sweaters, anything homemade for the displaced folks in Northern Afghanistan where winters are bitter cold. Website is easy to find and next mailing deadline is Nov. 10. I could knit all day and never get all the projects done! Isn't it great?

Cindy L.
Go to Top of Page

mjh1606@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile Send mjh1606@aol.com a Private Message
Talking of Christmas - does anyone have a pattern for a Christmas Stocking? Or know where I can get one from? I used to have a knitwear boutique about ten years ago but am just getting back into knitting. Started a Rowan sweater this week and have nearly finished the back, quite good going as I'm a bit rusty!!
Go to Top of Page

GK
New Pal

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  07:47:07 AM  Show Profile Send GK a Private Message
I'm interested in the chenille cloths. It seems so many of you have made them. Are they just the regular dishcloth pattern knitted with chenille yarn? The one that starts off with 3 stitches. What yarn? I love making the dishcloths. They go so fast. At Convergence 2002 in Vancouver this year, I bought some hemp yarn to make a bath mitt and cloth. There is also a pattern to make a water bottle carrier in two different sizes. Hope to make that soon.

Go to Top of Page

cwolfram
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cwolfram's Homepage Send cwolfram a Private Message
Hi,
I started knitting about a year and half ago. A simple sweater on size 13 needles. That was fun. Soon after I started a Fair Isle sweater for my boyfriend. I took a class on it. I couldn't figure out how-to switch colors, it took a while to get used to it. Now I'm almost done - 1 sleeve to go!
My speed has really increased, so I'm going for a knitting from the neck down sweater with cables for my Dad this year as well. I'm taking a class on it, so I should be able to finish it.
My best friend is getting a knitted bag. It's kind like of a large sachel. I like the variety of stitches, it keeps it fresh and fun!
I enjoyed reading all the ideas everyone listed.
Thanks Cheryl of Kent Washington

Go to Top of Page

caroline@corbettstaff.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  05:49:30 AM  Show Profile Send caroline@corbettstaff.com a Private Message
I have planned the items and purchased the yarn - as for actually starting - not yet and am already beginning to panic a bit - think it will be hats and long scarves as well as socks!!
Go to Top of Page

lauraks555
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  07:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit lauraks555's Homepage Send lauraks555 a Private Message
Jenanne, I love your website and have bookmarked the Star Wars pattern. That is such a cool idea, I never thought to do sci fi and video games. Odd considering how much a fan I am of both. ;)

Otherwise....Holiday knitting.... I'm working on my mother-in-law's afghan and ready to start the one for my own mom. They're both very similar to the one patterned in Knit It! I used the same yarn list, just substituted different colors. For my MIL, I'm using whites and the red family, for my mom, I'm using greys and the green family of colors.

I'm going to make an entrelac sweater for my husband. Of course I have the yarn. :D I also have the time, after the two above. Since the afghans must be mailed, I want them done ASAP.

Not sure what I should do for my sisters (2), brother in law, and father. I'll have to rummage around in my patterns and yarn stash to see what I have.
Go to Top of Page

YarnAddict
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  09:23:11 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAddict a Private Message
Wow, some of you must be pretty darn fast knitters! Over the summer I made a vest for one brother and a sweater for the other one, and now I am working on stuff for my parents. Dad is getting a pair of nice socks out of some gorgeous red burgundy wool I found. He's sensitive to a lot of synthetics so these should be nice. I finished one already but I think it may be a little on the small side for him as it fits me quite nicely. I have size 11 women's feet, while he is an 11 men's. Still, it was my first sock ever and I am quite happy with how it turned out and I have enough of this yarn to make two or three pairs of socks (it's a big huge cone), so all is well. Mom is getting a rose coloured cardigan. I am using a cone of Rowan DK and a cone of Rowan chenille and strading them together, it creates a really nice and subtle variegation in colour and texture, ans the chenille is just a little bit lighter in color than the wool. I've knit almost half the back. And then I am hopefully going to be able to knit up a few hats, scarves, and coin purses for various friends. I'm starting to feel that I may have been overly ambitious as my courseload this semester is getting quite heavy, but I'm not too terribly concerned. Some of my friends have been known to give Christmas gifts in February, so it's not a top priority to get them done exactly on time.

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

ccondon
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  10:05:21 AM  Show Profile Send ccondon a Private Message
I'm making felted clogs for everyone. They really go quickly and are such fun to make.
Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  09:38:33 AM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I am a number of children's sweaters on the list (5 to be exact) (1 finished, the other I need to do the sleeves and neck and 3 more to be decided on--I have various possibilities in my stash but I haven't decided yet). I also want to do three pairs of socks for friends. I have yarn to knit my Mom a red sweater (she loves red) but I have no idea if I will finish it in time. For my future sister-in-law, I plan on giving her a coupon for one sweater of her choice in the color of her choice and as her birthday is in January it may serve double duty! (I don't know her taste and size well enough to choose for her). Of course this all depends if I can finish that afghan for my friend (wedding was a week ago) and the baby blanket for my other friend who is expecting in November.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  3:24:23 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Yes! I am the Queen of Tecnohair scarves - again! Hey! Everyone loves and wants them, so why argue?? I started the first one today. And I ordered a Sirdar pattern for animal helmet style hats plus a load of Snowflake Magic Chunky to do them. The yarn is self striping. You can see a picture at www.beehivewool.com on the opening page. The ladies get scarves and the kids get animal hats. The guys don't want any knitting(that's easy to do!!)

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  11:38:50 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Greetings! I now have socks flying off my circulars thanks to Cat Bordi!
Everyone who has seen my Regia/Fortissima/Jawoll socks is begging for them. At first, I said no to most requests, but with the two circulars technique, I can easily make a two pairs per week! I managed to get my hands on some Opal in the tiger, bumblebee, and zebra, so I'll make socks for my son & his friends from that.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  07:53:54 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I've decided to make my kids' teachers their holiday gifts this year. We are forbidden to spend much on them but people give gifts anyway. My daughter in middle school has too many teachers to count but my two sons each have lovely teachers for whom I am happy to knit! So I bought some fun novelty yarn, acrylic wispy stuff, and a pair of size 15 Clover short needles and boy is it fun. It goes so quickly.

My family now only gives gifts to the kids so that probably sums up my holiday knitting. Good thing, since Chanukah starts the day after Thanksgiving!

Carin

Go to Top of Page

wildflower
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  09:11:54 AM  Show Profile Send wildflower a Private Message
I am nearly done with sister-in-laws blanket. Maybe another week or so. I think that may be all I make this year.

I still want to make up both dss' socks and if enough wool is left over, a pair for dnephew. It would not take so long but I am having a small problem with the pattern. I will go to my knitting group tonight to get help.

And as soon as I get all this done, I need to get busy making our newest niece/nephew due in Feburary a blanket and toys and botties.

Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  04:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
I finished my sister's sweater: http://www.jenanne.com/sweatervogue2002no26.htm

I've finished today a bit of "other knitting" - a sweater for my daughter's 18" doll - as my daughter's birthday is this weekend (and her party is tonight).

Next it on to working on some socks I need to photograph for another project, then back to Christmas knitting!

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom2
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom2 a Private Message
I am busy knitting socks for my Mother, SIL, DH and DS for Christmas, not to mention a few pair in there for myself. Thank goodness I LOVE to knit socks! I have been tossing around the idea of including a sweater or some other item for my Mother, but haven't settled on anything yet. Two years ago I gave her two lace scarves I had done in mohair, that I thought were lovely. She seemed to like them. But last year I gave her 6 pairs of socks and she burst into tears! Of joy! She slept with all of them clutched in her hands (she visits me at Christmas) and the entire time she was there I kept hearing over and over how I would never know what it meant to her to have something so beautiful, made by her own daughter! So, she asked for it, more socks for Christmas!

Kim

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  10:37:47 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
CCR - thanks for the idea! My son's teachers are now getting socks for holiday gifts! The more wool I use, the more I can buy!

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  12:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I'm ready to jump on the chenille facecloth bandwagon for holiday gifts. Can someone (Bess???) recommend a brand and/or an online supplier??? Any tips (Do you double it with another fiber or knit on smaller needles to prevent worming?) And would it be possible to try double knitting and make something like a mitt????

Thanks!

Patti
Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  1:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
I've only finished one chenille washcloth so far. I used Crystal Palace cotton chenille that I bought at www.carodanfarm.com They got it to me inside a week of ordering it. I used a size 6 needle for it, but I know that I knit pretty tightly. Hope that helps

Christy

Go to Top of Page

Kelley
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  2:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send Kelley a Private Message
Cotton Chenille washcloths! I love the regular cotton washcloths but the chenille sounds wonderful. What patterns and yarn would you suggest? I made a couple of washcloths from Louet linen in Knitter's Stash. They turned out very nice!

Thanks

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.