Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Is it time yet?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  6:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
I've started my holiday knitting - has anyone else?

I've finished both a sweater for my Grandma Marian, and tonight I made this stocking ornament for my Aunt Karen (http://www.jenanne.com/0924karengift.jpg).

I'm nearly done with a sweater for my sister (I'm just waiting for the yarn to arrive to finish the sleeve caps - as I ran out - shame, shame!) and I've done the front of a sweater for my mom but gotten no further.

I do have some others planned already:

1) video game themed Fair Isle hat and mittens for my husband
2) mittens for each of my kids
3) Star Wars themed neck warmer/scarf thing for my dad
4) small ornaments (probably the hat and scarf from FCEK holiday issue) for the rest of the family

I may add more before I'm done - but this feels ambitious enough already, ya know?

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm

madams716
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  06:10:53 AM  Show Profile Send madams716 a Private Message
I have started, but don't have as much done as I would like so far.

I have made one scarf (out of Stars yarn - fuzzy, textured yarn) for one sister, and have purchased yarn to make another for a niece.

I also have one Christmas stocking done except for the trim for another sister.

Since I have discovered socks, I am hoping to make a few pairs of socks for my sisters as well.

This should take me right up to Christmas, but next year, I'm going to start even earlier.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

Ann
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile Send Ann a Private Message
Every year I knit either mittens or socks for my daughters' teachers. This year both of my daughters chose socks. I have one pair done (used the New England pattern from "Knitting on the Road". I'm almost done with the second pair. The teachers really seem to appreciate handknit items. And, it gives me something to work on while I'm watching my lectures.

Then, I need to finish my Poetry in Stitches sweater for me. I want to wear it for my graduation on December 15. I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. I've even asked my girls' piano teacher to start using the Christmas music. That may have been a mistake. I'm already tired of "Jingle Bells", and it's only September.

Ann
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  10:14:58 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I have several scarves and 29 of 32 placemats done. I'm not advanced enough to give sweaters for gifts. Maybe next year.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  10:28:11 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
I've finished a hat for my youngest nephew and now need to make another one for his older brother. Plan to use two circulars to see if that improves my speed. Since my pattern has cables, I think it will.

I also make mittens for my boys every year. This year they've kindly, but firmly, told me they are too old for mittens and would like gloves.

I also plan to make my own scarf with the yarn my DH got me for my birthday in March. Have swatched it and it is WONDERFUL! I'm also making myself a pair of gloves, hopefully with the back in the same pattern as the scarf. I've only made one pair of gloves before.

And I still have to finish Luke's (DS) house socks.

I think I can, I think I can!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  10:30:56 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Jenanne,

You must be a very talented and QUICK knitter, or you started all this back in January.....I'm so impressed with what you've already finished!

How long does it take you to knit a sweater, say for your grandmom? Is it a pullover or a cardigan? Tell me more about both of your completed sweaters because it sounds like your family is going to be very happy campers this Christmas!

I really haven't started anything yet for this year and I know the next 2 months will fly so it's a bit late in the game to begin but I may try to finish a pair of Lorna's Laces socks for my daughter.

I'm working on a Fair Isle vest for my husband but no chance that it will be done in time. I'm also trying my best to finish my Philosophers Fair Isle cardigan but the going is slow. These things aren't for Christmas, so I guess I'm already off topic, LOL.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  11:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I have 4 3/4 pairs of socks out of the 7 pairs I have planned for my family this year. One niece will be getting a beaded hat & scarf set, while the other two will be getting an assortment of Barbie clothes. I still need to get yarn for one more pair of socks. Other than that, I am in completion mode and have been slowing down my pace.

I think I may do something simple and small for my friends. I haven't decided yet what to do. I'm thinking about maybe washcloths and some smell good soap. I don't think they would be into the Barbie clothes.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  12:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
everybody on my list will be getting plush cotton chenille face cloths and a bar of white lilac soap that a friend of mine makes. except mama who will get the red felt hat.

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  2:44:06 PM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
I'm a sloooooooooooooow knitter so I've committed myself to, at the most, making two pairs of men's socks between now and Christmas. The good news is I've already finished one pair! I used a beautiful wine red worsted weight Falk superwash and Evelyn Clark's Railroad Tracks pattern from FiberTrends. (Easy, tailored unisex pattern! I recommend it!) The second pair of socks, which I'm working on now, is in Lorna's Laces sock yarn with a lovely subtle medium-sage-to-dark sage variegation. I'm doing the sock in a moss stitch rib -- a very pretty stitch!

If I have time I want to do some miniature socks for Christmas ornaments, but don't quote me on that!

Pookie in Seattle (where we've only had two days of rain since early July. Who SAYS it rains a lot here?)

Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  3:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
Last year I made dish cloths for everyone on my list - but when I later visited some of the relatives who received them, I found everyone was using them as doilys! These weren't light and lacy things either - big, plush, wonderful cottons and cotton chenilles. Go figure. :) This year when the family comes to visit me for Christmas I plan to demonstrate for them that's it definitely okay to use the dishcloths as dishcloths - that's what they're made for. Everyone just told me "they're too pretty for dishes". So this year, its sweaters and socks and such. *g*

Patience, I'm more of a bored insomniac with time on her hands than a fast knitter. :) I did grandmas sweater (a long sleeve pull-over tunic length thing) out of a bulky wt wool. It took less than a week to finish. My sister's sweater would have taken three days if I hadn't run out of yarn. Its three-quarter length flared sleeves with a gathered v-neck (up and down gathered - like ruching) out of the cotton/lycra yarn. It was very fun to knit!

--
Jenanne
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  11:38:08 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Greetings from Toronto! The beautiful autumnal weather here has me knitting any chance I get. I will use my knitting machine to make several face cloths out of Tivoli chenille. For hand-knitted projects I am making lots of socks out of Confetti(like Regia but half the cost). I am making my mum and one sibling Philosopher's Wool sweaters, but in lopi type designs to save time! I just bought the Socks Soar book by Cat Bordi and will test it out when my Addi's arrive. I have learned that if a project is not finished the week before Christmas, forget it! I knit because I enjoy it, not to get stressed out from self imposed deadlines. I have found that most people are thrilled to get a photo of the item to be - just the thought that someone was thinking of them that far ahead is great! I then mail it out just after New Year when I've had a bit more quiet time to knit!

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  10:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I started on Christmas gifts early. Unfortunately, I only have one of them completed.
1. A lace scarf for my friend, Susan (it's on my website as the Susan scarf http://erica-lee.org/crafts.html).
2. A lace shawl for my mother, her first name is Barbara, so I'm making her the Barbara shawl http://erica-lee.org/knit/bshawl.html. It is going fast at times and slow at other times. Once I get going with the pattern for a row, it goes pretty quickly. I feel like I've accomplished a lot for the amount of time I've been working on it. I surprise myself at times with how much I get done in one day.
3. Socks for my dad - only have about three inches of the first cuff finished. I really need to work on these more since he has a guys size 10 foot, which is going to seem like a huge foot.
4. Lace sharves for my sister and my aunt, both from the Stahman's Shawls & Scarves book.
5. For my grandfather, I can't decide if I want to do socks or a hat.
6. My grandmother is getting a hat and scarf.
7. My friend, Brandi, is getting a shawl exactly like the one I made for myself that I designed http://www.erica-lee.org/knit/knit1.html.
8. My boyfriend, Bryan, is getting a hat - which will be out of the Bollicina, it's cashmere and silk and I know it will feel good on his bald head. Yes, I now have a boyfriend, he's been promoted from "library boy" to boyfriend!

As usual, I also have several projects in the works for myself.

erica :)
(knitgrl is my license plate)
Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
http://erica-lee.org/crafts.html
Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
My daughters teachers will be getting scarves made from Rowan Big Wool. The nieces and nephews are getting mittens. Other than that no other knitted gifts.

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I've already given my list on another post so I'll just add that I'm unhappy with the amount I've accomplished. I started early, but I just can't seem to get these projects finished. It doesn't help matters that I feel compelled to make a knitted wardrobe for my daughter. I have plans for 5 pull-overs and a cardigan for her...completely unrelated to Christmas. These are going to be done in plain stocking stitch with variegated yarn. Perhaps it's time I bought a knitting machine. I am making progress on my MIL's wool shawl; it's almost done. I have about 8 inches done on a lace alpaca scarf for my DH. Luckily, my FIL, and stepFIL want worsted weight socks...they should go fairly quickly. The lace shawl I'm making for my mom has been put on hold for quite a while now. I guess I'd better step-up production...I vowed to have a stress-free holiday for a change (or as close to it as possible). Has anyone else stayed up late on Christmas Eve to complete a project? No fun! Have a great weekend, everyone.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  4:09:45 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
Yeah, Wendy, same here. Good intentions and good ideas but slow on the progress. When I planned my holiday gifts I sort of forgot almost all my friends' birthdays fall from August through November, so I've been hustling on bday presents. Fortunately, most of my friends and I don't exchange holiday gifts--just bdays. So it's only my mom, sister, and brother-in-law and one friend family (3 people)that I have to knit for. But I've still got a couple of more months of bdays too! Finally decided this week that it's going to be washcloths for all, with the possible exception of one hat. And I really do want to work on a couple of sweaters for me.

Jenanne, had to laugh at folks using your dishcloths as doilies. I gave my mom a set of cotton washcloths this summer. She declared them too lovely to use. Spent a few days convincing her that I made them to be used and that she'd never want to use a terry cloth again after she'd bathed with these. Besides, if they were so lovely, why would she shove them in the linen closet? I finally convinced her to actually use one and now she's hooked.

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  4:10:24 PM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
If it makes you feel any better, Kepkake, I've been knitting furiously for a year, and all I have is 12 pairs of socks to show for it. No scarves, no hats, no sweaters, no teacozies, no placemats, no baby layettes, nuthin'. I am always so AMAZED by the variety and number of items some of you knitting geniuses are able to churn out.

Ryan in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  7:01:37 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I'm taking the easy way out this year. Shopping for gifts on Ebay. I have my daughters and grandaughters finished and only 4 grandsons and one son-inlaw to go.

I plan on making more christmas ornaments this year and want to try out some ornament sleeves. (tubes of lace knitting that fit over Christmas balls)

In other words, I am just going to play this year.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  10:40:04 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
At this point I have made eight scarves for my cousin to sell at her Holiday Botique to raise money for school where she works. I hope to get several more made for her. Might just make a few hats too. If there is enough time I might make a baby blanket or two also. God knows I have more than sufficient yarn for these projects.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  10:44:55 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Jenanne: Don't worry about how people use your gifts--just be glad that they are using them. I really don't think you want to give them lessons on what they are for--you might hurt their feelings or make them feel, how can I say this--a little dumb and/or stupid. I think its great that they are using them as doilies. You must realize this is a complement--or I hope you do. Think about it.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  05:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
Finished a pair of socks last night - gift for my Godmom.

Hiya, Bev! Its really more that since I only have home knit dish rags and wash cloths here I figure they'll see them in use and possibly consider using theirs when they get home. :) I wouldn't actually hold a mini-class in dishrags for family.

--
Jenanne
Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  06:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
I am working on a lace stole for my Mom as an early present (she wants to use it on a trip next month). I had intended to make chenille washcloths for several people & some Christmas ornaments. Unfortunately my carpal tunnel is flaring up trying to get this stole done in time, I think that I am going to have to take some time off knitting when I finish it. Maybe I will finally finish a cross-stitch picture for my DD while waiting for it to settle down.

Christy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.