Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting again after a RSI
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2004 :  11:01:40 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Hi everyone,

To make a long story short, I knit for years, until I got Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I haven't knit now for more than a year. I'm making a slow but steady recovery from my T.O.S., and I want to knit again, but I'm nervous about it since knitting contributed massively to my injury.

Are there any knitters out there who have T.O.S. and have figured out how to manage it and still knit? Is there anyone who started knitting again after having a repetitive stress injury? How did you manage it? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance,
Katie

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  02:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I don't have TOS per se. I do have nerve damage in my dominant hand so it makes holding a knitting needle AND yarn hard. So I do a sorta combo style. It works for me.

Craftiness is Sanity
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  2:23:24 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
TOS is caused by the shape of your ribs and can be repaired surgically. The thoracic outlet is too small and puts pressure on the nerves to your arm causing them to swell. If this is a serious problem, my advice would be to consult a physician who specializes in this type of problem, or if there is none in your area, consult a thoracic surgeon. The surgery involves removing a small portion of the first rib (usually about an inch) which frees the tight spot.

I feel very confident in saying that although knitting may have contributed to your problem and taken the blame for it, it did not cause your problem. Any activity involving your arm will contribute to the problem. It needs to be addressed at the source. As for knitting, learn and do continental style and in particular the combined technique described by Annie Modesitt as they are the most conservative of movement.

fran
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?