Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Christmas gifts for future in-laws who knit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

latebloomer
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit latebloomer's Homepage Send latebloomer a Private Message
Both my future mother-in-law (FMIL) & sister-in-law (FSIL) have taken up knitting. They're both at the scarf stage still, and FSIL is an admitted craft-jumper. But I thought I'd give them knitting-related gifts anyway, with things they could use straight away.

I got some Clou and thought I'd give FSIL a skein, plus a pair of #15's and a printout of the BonBon pattern from Knitty.

For FMIL, I made a set of stitch markers, and I'm giving them to her b/c they turned out so pretty, even if she doesn't use them. She likes to knit for charity, so I wondered if the "ingredients" and pattern for a chemo cap would be okay? That way she could use the stitch markers, and make something pretty but have it go to charity.

Any other suggestions? We're on a tight budget, but I want to give meaningful gifts. FMIL made a comment about not making me anything b/c I knit too, so I figured making her something (even if I had the time) wouldn't be the best idea.

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  1:03:42 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Depending on how much it costs, and if there are any LYS near them, what a about a gift certificate to one? For the charity knitter, your idea sounds great, but how about adding a printout of various knitting charities found online? I would also suggest that you give each a printout of some great online knitting sites(KR,knitty,etc.) Have you considered getting them a small book, such as Nancie Wiseman's Finishing Techniques? Or maybe The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville?

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  1:30:51 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Or a blank journal to use as a knitting journal? A zipper case with accessories like point protectors, a Knit-Check gauge thingy, ring markers, etc? Admittedly I am prejudiced, as I am friends with the author, but Lisa Myers' The Joy of Knitting is an absolutely wonderful book.
Carol S.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  1:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
What about a kit? Martheme's got the mystery kits (www.inspirationsyarn.com) which are inexpensive, and Jen's got some AMAZING kits as well from luxury fibers... (www.spirit-trail.net)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

latebloomer
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  1:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit latebloomer's Homepage Send latebloomer a Private Message
Thanks for the suggestions! I have some good ideas now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe