Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 "Stalking" Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  11:56:29 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I've recently developed this really strange habit and I'm wondering if anyone else does this too. Every couple of weeks I read about a yarn that intrigues me. I then end up spending hours online searching for the yarn and patterns to go with it, and looking at dozens of yarn web sites for the very best price, even though I don't have any current plans to buy it. I've filled up all sorts of electronic shopping carts.

It's like I've developed a romantic "crush" on it, and I end up thinking about it throughout the day. Then, another yarn catches my interest and I do it all over again with my new "love."

So am I psycho or do other people do this too?

(Actually, I have a co-worker who once admitted to me that when she is really stressed she goes to real stores and fills up shopping carts with stuff she has no intention of buying, and then leaves them there. So I guess I'm not as nuts as she is.)

Meg

"Do not meddle into the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  04:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I stalk books on Amazon.com like that all the time (I have 4 in my cart right now!) and don't always put yarn in cyber-carts, I do tend to look at yarn and patterns - particularly Regia yarns, where I'll go so far as to have up multiple screens so I can compare solids with pattern colors so I can decide which colors to make toes and heels...

Sounds like you're just using the part of knitting that is among the most fun for you - shopping for yarn and patterns - and using it as a therapy without actually going so far as to spend money! Astounding self control!

Keep it up and don't feel at all guilty!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  07:14:11 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
LOL...you sound like me!

I'll find a yarn that catches my fancy and then I'll scour the net trying to find a good deal on it, look at all the colours, check out patterns, spend my day imagining what I'll make with it, etc. I think that's one of my favourite parts of knitting: visualizing what I'm going to do!

I'm in between "stalks" right now. My last few were with Jaeger Chamonix and Noro Silk Garden. I'm eyeing some cashmere right now but have to wait til after Christmas to even consider it.

Ahhhh, it's always fun to dream!

--Kristin
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  08:13:23 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I can't do that! If I do, I later can't remember whether I actually bought it or left without going through the checkout. No estrogen in my brain at all!!!

However, I have been doing a similar thing with spinning. I read the posts in the spinning section with something akin to a deep hunger. I've checked out sites that have spinning info, fiber, spindles, etc. I have actually put things in carts, but then backed down. I've thought about signing up for the classes at Fiber Factory. (You should hear the arguments in my brain over that one: what if Tony gets a job somewhere else and you have to move before the classes start? what if Tony doesn't get a job; that's a lot of money for your diminished income! and on and on and on. sigh) So, I don't think your abnormal. If you are, I am, and I know I'm not!

hugs,
chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

maya
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  09:54:50 AM  Show Profile Send maya a Private Message
I have found Noro silk garden on ebay.
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom2
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  10:00:42 AM  Show Profile Send GreysMom2 a Private Message
I too stalk yarn on the internet. I go through obsessions, one after another. I don't even limit myself to yarn. Sometimes it's needles, sometimes a knitting book.

I am currently stalking Opal sock yarns and anything on the web about kool-aid dyeing.

Is that so wrong? he he he

Kim
Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  12:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
This is the *best* topic! ;-)

I know exactly what you mean. This summer, my obsession was Mountain Colors. I had online shade cards from various websites bookmarked, so I could compare the different scans and try to figure out which ones were closest to "true". I made lists of which colors I liked best and which sock patterns I thought would show them off to best advantage. Really good scans of finished projects, full skeins, etc I saved to my hard drive for easy access, and I pored over them while I should have been studying.

If this yarn were easier to obtain (it's hand-dyed and frequently out of stock), I'm not sure I would have developed such a powerful interest in it. But now that I have managed to get several skeins in my stash (and one on the needles), I still think it's the most amazing stuff in the world, kitten-soft and uniquely lovely.

I do feel a new interest coming on, however: Jaeger Shetland Aran. I saw some at the LYS yesterday and very nearly brought home a sackfull. It's not especially colorful, but it's soft and luscious and would probably make the world's most comfortable sweater. Or socks. Or a hat-and-mittens set. Mmmm.

--beth ;-)
Go to Top of Page

crombie
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile Send crombie a Private Message
heh. me too!! me too! i got into knitting cuz i wanted to knit my husband a cap. it turned out abt 3 caps, and 2 lace shawls and more projects on the way! i read up on the yarns i think i am interested in.. i got into fibers and daydream abt rearing alpacas. i surfed the net to find the best deals on my latest "crush" that i have on e particular yarn and think abt it for days. i have the same obsession but i think i look more for projects then go around madly looking at available yarns. :P

Go to Top of Page

elliela
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  10:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit elliela's Homepage Send elliela a Private Message
OMG...I am amazed to see others out there like me!!
I have been "stalking" Colinette's Tagliatelli for months and months. Every LYS I went into, never heard of it, since it was available in Europe first.
It's in the USA now andI finally got to see it in person..gorgeous! By some stroke of luck, found an eBay seller offering it and got it for tons cheaper than if I had bought it outright.
Wonder what my next "victim" will be?
Ellen
http://naturallycurly.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

fotyc
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  07:03:12 AM  Show Profile Send fotyc a Private Message
I do this if I hear about a new yarn in a book I'm looking at - this happened recently with Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting, I fell in love with a sweater in Garn Silke-tweed (a Norwegian yarn that's half silk and half lambswool) and started looking everywhere for the best price on it. It's about $10 a hank everywhere but would you believe the best deal I found was to buy it from a shop in Denmark. It would have been $8 a hank INCLUDING shipping. IF I had bought it which I didn't...yet...
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Dear Meg,

You're not alone, as you can see! I stalk yarn, fabric (for quilting), threads (quilting and embroidery), patterns and books online! I also love to go to real stores to "feel" fabric and yarn. My friend Susan calls it "getting endorphins", and we do this regularly -- generally without buying anything, but often starting a wish list.

One of my biggest wishes is that I could afford to send away for some of the wonderful stuff available in the US -- or that it would be easier to know where to get it in Western Canada. Anyone any tips?

Thanks!

-- Margaret Blank, Calgary
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  07:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
I must say this is happening to me also. I haven't knitted for about 10 years and decided to get my needles out of storage. I can't believe how things have changed. It was always hard to find yarns when I was knitting and now WHOOPEE!!! There is so much out there now, it is great. I am an avid quilter also and I am afraid this disease is rampant among quilters also. I have more fabric then I can use in a lifetime and it seems my knitting stash has started growing also. But it is better than going to therapy!!! We could be doing much worse things right?

Go to Top of Page

kmpeds
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile Send kmpeds a Private Message
I hear you! I've got it bad too, it's called OBSESSION!!! Time to join knitters annonymous!
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom2
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom2 a Private Message

I'm stalking right now...

Be vewy qwiet, I'm Regia cwazy cowors hunting.....he he he

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  4:09:27 PM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
Wouldn't that be "Wegia?"

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

GreysMom2
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  4:24:56 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom2 a Private Message
Pookie

You would be absowutewy wight!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

YarnAddict
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2002 :  10:03:34 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAddict a Private Message
I kind of do this too! I will dream up a project I'd like to do and then spend hours looking for the perfect yarn, ideas to adjust it, etc. Right now I am dying to make a fair isle style cardigan similar to one I saw at a crafts gallery a few weeks ago (anyone living near Asheville, NC can go check it out and see what they think!). I have been sketching out possible designs and scouring the internet for the "perfect" yarn. Trying to hold off though, as I have two sweaters and multiple smaller project going right now and I really can't afford the yarn!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

tomato
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2002 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile Send tomato a Private Message
I LOVE to do this!! Mostly with yarns and patterns - but sometimes also with shoes.... I call it "giving it a ride" and most of the time, that is quite enough, although there was the Kolibri fiasco.... never mind.

tomato
Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  12:04:59 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
like everyone else, i am so glad that i am not alone (although my husband has totally given up hope)! i spend hours looking, filling cyber baskets, emptying them, refilling them, and re-emptying them. if i do that at 5 different online shops, i usually buy from one. . . only to find out that the main color i need is already sold out! then the search begins again. . . viva la stalk!

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  2:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I don't necessarily stalk a particular yarn. I love patterns and books of patterns. I love dreaming about projects that I can do. Most times, I don't get far enough to buying the yarn for the sweater. I always look at patterns with the intent of making and who I would make them for.

erica :)
(knitgrl is my license plate)
Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
http://erica-lee.org/crafts.html
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  10:20:04 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
My mom and her best friend used to spend HOURS going to jewelry stores, looking at rings and pretending that one of them had a birthday coming up (presumably the husbands would be shopping for them shortly). I never, ever understood what that was all about and had serious doubts about their sanity.

Now, at long last, I understand. I don't shop much on-line, but I ADORE knitting books. I have way more than I have time to learn. I'm especially looking forward to Gossamer Webs and the Rambling Rows afghan. Whenever I'm in the mood to start another project (I try to keep it down to 2 or 3 at a time), I just buy a another book. A knitting magazine will do in a pinch.

I recently received Socks Soar and am working on the second sock of my second pair ever. Can't wait to try the Opal Tiger.

I just love this forum! Everytime I log on, I learn something new. Today, I learned that we are normal.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by