Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting passed on?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

deknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

480 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  09:06:35 AM  Show Profile Send deknitter a Private Message
My step-grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 9. She also knit, but the two needles intimidated me, so I kept crocheting. When I was 19, my boyfriend's boss taught me to knit and I haven't stopped yet! Most of what I know now about knitting is self-taught. I still crochet a little, love to needle tat, cross-stitch occasionally, but knitting is my love! Thankfully, both of my daughters are knitters now, one more than the other, the other loves to embroider and is wonderful at it.

There's nothing like sitting in the living room, watching tv with the family, as myself and my daughter knit together!!
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:13:00 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I'm still hoping to teach my son how to knit. I can tell he's only intimidated by the fact it seems like a girly thing (he's 18). When I say, "Let me show you how, you know you want to", he laughs. He'd say "no I don't" if he really wasn't interested. He's artsy/crafty like me and my mom, so I know there's a part of him that wants to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Jenknitter
Chatty Knitter

164 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:21:54 PM  Show Profile Send Jenknitter a Private Message
My grandmother has knit. Except she can't do much she can knit, and maybe purl, but she can't pick up a dropped stitch only a couple of rows down. My mother knit for awhile when I was young. She did not know how to purl, but did know how to do a yarn-over. I don't believe (but maybe) my mom learned from her mom. My sister can crochet but has only worked on one project the whole time she has been doing it, and that project is not done, yet. She learned from a friend. I learned from Knitting for Dummies. I am mostly self taught (with some classes). I am about an Advanced Beginner/Intermediate.
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
My dad's SIL and my paternal grandmother taught me how to knit when I was 9. Grandma L was a biddy on wheels but between her and my aunt I learned a great craft. They were both out of my life by the time I was 12, but my maternal great-grandmother knew an old Russian lady who showed me how to make slippers. After that I devoured knitting books, but only knit a little till I was 22. Knitting saved my sanity so I guess I owe the old battle axe something.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I know both of my grandmothers weren't knitters, but I don't know about great-grandparents because I never met them. My mom didn't knit either. I'm the only one! My 4 year old daughter wants to learn, and I plan on teaching her. She says she can't wait to pick out her own yarn!

I don't know why I got interested in knitting. I've always been sorta good at crafts and watercolors, and I went into a craft store looking for art stuff for my daughter and I wandered around. Something just popped into my head that said "wouldn't it be cool to knit"!! And then I got some books, a learn-to-knit kit, some cheap yarn, and I haven't stopped since.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  10:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I'm a product of multi-generational knitters. ALL of my great grandmothers were knitters. Both of my grandmothers were prolific knitters that knit well into their 90's. My mom knits. I knit. My 8yr old dd is also learning to knit. (My MIL knits also, neither of her daughters knits, so she's really glad I'm carrying on for her side as well).

That's 5 straight generations that I know of.

One of my favorite memories is surprising my family when my dh was attempting to throw me a surprise party (my "decoy" cancelled). I walked into the house about 1/2 hour early.

Sitting on my sofa was my mom, her mom, and my mil all knitting away and gabbing waiting for the surprise hour and all of them looking up and gasping when seeing me surprise them! I wish I had a real picture of that and not just one in my mind.

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page

samuraisqurl@yahoo.com

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile Send samuraisqurl@yahoo.com a Private Message
My great-grandmother taught my cousin and I how to crochet when we were little girls. She would tell us stories about traveling in covered wagons! Crocheting never really did anything for me, but I loved the idea there was so much potential in a ball of yarn. My grandmother crochets like a mad woman. I taught myself to knit about two years ago off internet sites and booklets and haven't looked back. It is now a full fledged obsession (at least that is what my husband says). I knit one project during the day in the moments between chasing the kids and cleaning and another during the evening hours. Help!
I'm glad to say that my daughter is very eager to learn (she is four).

http://knittingmoon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
I think my grandmother knitted. I remember seeing a picture of her with her needles, yarn, and cat. But I taught myself in my early twenties with a "learn to knit" book. I still laugh at my attempt of my first project. I never start anything new that is simple, I just dive in to the most complex thing I can find. I knit a sweater for my (then 5yr old) DS. It had umpteen cables, a V neck, and three colors. After 3/4 of the front was done, I finally approached reality and realized I had no cables, just a bunch of strange looking stitches all over the body of the front. I then learned how to frog. Although I just learned that term. I just called it ripping out.

Neither of my sons were interested in the craft, but my DGD is learning. She started at 4 and called it "mitting". She would just wind the yarn around the needle and when she got tired, she put it down and went to play. She is now more serious and is working (at 10yrs) on a scarf for her mom. I hope she gets it done by Christmas. Too much stuff going on.

BTW, Happy Holidays to everyone out in Knitting Land.

Patricia

Patrica in West Sac., CA.
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  12:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Molly C's Homepage Send Molly C a Private Message
My mom taught me to knit after I asked her. I remember being little and having my own little knitting kit and basket that was given to me by either her or my maternal grandmother, but I don't recall ever being forced to learn it; it was probably just something to keep me entertained.

My mom did knit me lots of sweaters growing up, but she stopped knitting regularly probably when I was 10 or so. She sewed a lot - she was a home ec teacher at one point - and owned a wool fabric shop, so even though I didn't see knitting every day, I had major exposure to the fiber arts. I relearned how to knit a year ago and feel that knitting will now be a lifetime hobby for me. I suspect that I would have wanted to learn even if my mom hadn't knit, but I suppose that's hard to say now. Still, I did technically learn from my mother. My grandmother did a lot of crocheting, but neither my mom nor I really like to crochet, although I will do a little of it for edgings. I can't imagine every crocheting a garment or blanket, though - just some sort of embellishing.

Molly
http://knittingmolly.blogspot.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

kdwilson@nocturne.com

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  1:55:55 PM  Show Profile Send kdwilson@nocturne.com a Private Message
My mom tried to teach me when I was a kid, but it didn't stick. I picked it up on my own from books at age 40, and when I showed off my first sweater to my dad, he said he used to knit, too! Socks mostly, during the war years.
Go to Top of Page

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  1:56:36 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
I learned to knit from my daughter, Jennifer. She has been my knitting teacher and mentor. Without her to help me when I make mistakes, I would never have been able to do it. I love knitting and it was a special gift she gave to me. She is a fearless knitter and will try anything. Now she is making lacy scarves from the Lavish Lace book. She is phenomenal and my greatest blessing.

"There are two ways of spreading the light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." --Edith Wharton
Go to Top of Page

run10k
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  1:59:12 PM  Show Profile Send run10k a Private Message
It was in my case. Although my grandmother, who knew how to knit, needlepoint, etc, had a stroke when I was 8 and died when I was 10, did not teach me, I inherited the rich love of needlecraft. I learned how to needlepoint and cross-stitch on my own, and when I was in my early 30's, I took classes at the shop where I now work. My poor mom cut my bangs crooked when I was a kid and I'd rather walk around in pants that were too long than to have my mother hem each leg a different length. (I will admit that my mom is a great cook and tremendously talented in other ways where I can't hold a candle to her.)
Go to Top of Page

CaroleS@nyc.rr.com

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile Send CaroleS@nyc.rr.com a Private Message
My mother taught me the basics of knitting, then a summer camp councellor taught me more. I don't remember whether my grandmother knitted. I taught my daughter and then friends at college and elsewhere. A lot of years later, I'm still teaching new knitters (many of them young women) through my knitting group.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  3:33:27 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I taught myself to crochet and to knit when I was in the 8th grade, 13 years old. My grandmother and mother taught me sewing and embroidery much much earlier but didn't know how to knit or crochet. I've taught all my girls all of the above, and one of them just learned to knit a couple of months ago after she saw her little sister and I knitting socks together on a visit.

It's wonderful to pass on the needle arts. I've honored my own teachers by teaching others, neighbor's, friends, and the children of same, to knit and crochet and to sew. Makes a rich life when friend's can share the needlearts.

lella

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  3:38:06 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I taught myself how to crochet (my mom doesn't). My grandmother knit, crocheted, embroidered, cross-stitched, and hooked rugs, but she did not teach me anything. My mother knits "backwards" in Continental style, but that's okay because she purls "backwards", too. I learned the seed stitch the way she taught me (I was younger than ten...six she tells me). This past January I taught myself "forwards" Continental.

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

FibersFan
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  4:03:06 PM  Show Profile Send FibersFan a Private Message
I learned to knit from another child on the playground at school when I was 10. She brought needles and yarn and just asked if anyone wanted to learn, so a few of us did.
I think it's sometimes difficult to learn these things from one's own parent. I think it may be better to learn from a grandparent or another relative or good friend. My daughter wasn't interested when I tried to teach her to knit, cook, sew, or anything and it hurt my feelings a little since I really wanted to share these things with her. Maybe it was just an age thing since as an adult she is interested and has learned from others and comes to me now with questions and I teach her friends to knit!
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  4:26:52 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
My gramma and auntie (who was my gramma's sister) taught me, my mum didn't start knitting until she retired around about 65.

I have taught my daughter who is know 12 how to knit, we started when she was about 8, she also sews (which I can't) her nanna taught her that and I've also shown her how to do tapestry, but nanna has shown her all the different stitches as she is much more talented than I will ever be.

Her best friend's mum taught her how to crochet and she is now in the process of trying to teach me.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

damama@cinci.rr.com

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  4:37:07 PM  Show Profile Send damama@cinci.rr.com a Private Message
My mom knitted only one item that I know of in her whole life, a sweater (I wish I had that now). She would crochet up a storm though. I know my mom's mom crocheted very intricate doilies and I have a door scarf that was her's. My sister and I were brought up to be sewers and be interested in stuff to do with our hands. That sort of thing fell out of fashion and so when I arrived at my husband's company banquet wearing a dress that I made, it blew their minds that I could program and sew too!
Go to Top of Page

Metallipam@msn.com

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  5:20:55 PM  Show Profile Send Metallipam@msn.com a Private Message
My mother the handicraft Queen, tried to teach me to both knit and crochet when I was younger but I didn't really get into it. When I had children of my own, my interest was renewed and I picked up some "how to knit/crochet" booklets and have been doing both since. I have taught my 10 y/o son to knit and he's actually made a couple projects, my daughter however, is brought to tears when she attempts to knit.

Go to Top of Page

ginny
Chatty Knitter

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  6:23:00 PM  Show Profile Send ginny a Private Message
When I was little, I was intrigued by my mother's yarn box. She taught me how to make yarn dolls and so I would sit and make little, yarn dolls. Then, she taught me how to spool knit.
My mom was a lefty, and she didn't know how to knit. She thought being a lefty would make it harder for her to learn. I learned to knit at the local yarn shop in Evansville, Indiana. They were always extremely helpful when I didn't understand how to do something.
My daughter does not care anything about knitting, sewing, or embroidery. I'm begining to think knitting skips a generation, kind of like red hair! I have red hair and neither one of the kids have it.

ginny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.