Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting passed on?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  6:38:56 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I'm just curious, is knitting a skill that's passed on from one generation to the next, or is it a personal choice that was picked up on out of the blue?

My mom taught me how to knit and crochet when I was about 8, but her mom didn't teach her how to knit (she did teach her how to crochet though). My grandma learned to knit AFTER my mom...and they both used different styles.

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  6:44:14 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
Well, in my case my grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 9, but I learned knitting out of books at age 36. So, a bit of both, I guess. My mom is not into ANY handcrafts, so I guess if it is passed on it skipped a generation. Now if I could just get my DD into knitting, I would feel like I had accomplished something...

~Rebecca

"Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Go to Top of Page

ClareNC
Permanent Resident

1235 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  6:47:20 PM  Show Profile Send ClareNC a Private Message
My Mum taught me to knit when I was a little girl. Her mother never taught her though, she taught herself. I have now taught my youngest daughter to knit. She finished her first long scarf the other day and was so proud. She's started them before but never finished one. And, she done it in about 6 hours. Not bad going.
Clare
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  6:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Maternal grandmother, mother, paternal aunt, me...but alas, not my daughter (yet)...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinAmy
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  7:28:03 PM  Show Profile Send ErinAmy a Private Message
My Mom knit and croched and I so wish I had done it with her! Since she has passed away, my sisters and I have learned and love to knit together and talk about how much our mom would love to see us! Part of the reason I learned was because it makes me feel closer to her.
Erin
Go to Top of Page

Janice Alline
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  7:29:30 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Alline a Private Message
My family's not crafty but my husband's family is. A friend taught me to knit years & years ago but it didn't stick. More years & more beginning knitting lessons & finally in Sept 03, it stuck but good!

I've since passed on the craft to 1 co-worker & have just begun to teach a 2nd one. I helped her pick out yarn today for her 1st scarf! I wish lunch hours were LONGER!!

Jan in Lawrence, KS
"A policeman arrives at the scene of what looks like a bad accident. There's a pedestrian lying, unmoving, in the crosswalk. The driver of the car near-by says, "I swear, I never touched her. I saw her at the crosswalk and came to a complete stop. I smiled and waved for her to cross, and she fainted."
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  7:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
well mom and an aunt taught me.....I was so young all I remember was that one of them said I held the needles wrong......
( I hold a fork wrong as well, I hold it apparently european)
my nonna used to knit beaded handbags and make sweaters, she also made lace of all sorts.
my nonna raised 4 kids as a widow around the turn of the century.....that is how she did it
I also sew, ( mom was a fashion designer) crochet, I make porcelain dolls, dollhouse miniatures, and occationally write.
in my generation, and culture these were skills necessary for living, along with cooking, cleaning...etc.
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  8:17:01 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
Well, my toddler WANTS to learn. Does that count?

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  8:29:22 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
My grandmother taught me when I was a little girl, and she taught my mum and aunt when they were little girls; my grandmother can't knit now because of arthritis and poor eyesight, my mum never finishes anything and my aunt gave up knitting because she says she has no-one to knit for.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 21 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog, 1 on hold

Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  9:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
I taught my daughters to knit, my mother taught me to knit, Grandma taught Mom, Great Grandma taught Grandma......probably on throughout the ages. They (and myself) are not only knitters. We all are multi-crafters doing quite a number of fiber related crafts. It seems to come naturally to us......the desire and the relative ease of picking up the creative stuff.

My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were all wonderful painters too. Alas, as of yet, it has not rubbed off on me. (Although I hear they all started later in life.) I have painted and even got high marks in my Art classes at school, but I come no where near to their skill.

I don't think anyone on Dad's side of the family ever did much in the way of needlecrafts of any kind.

Edit: Ooops. I just remembered, Great Grandma on my dad's side did do lovely hardanger. Perhaps she did other things as well. I didn't really know her well. She was very, very old when I met her as a small child.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  9:18:17 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
My family made it a point to teach all daughters "the womaly arts", sewing,crochetting (no undergarment was without it's lace) cooking, cleaning, managing a home, decorating, embroidery, etc. etc.,,,But...no one knew how to knit. I picked it up on my own when I was 7 or 8.

fran
Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  11:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
One day when I was 15 or 16 I decided I wanted to learn to knit and I taught myself. My mom could never figure out why especially since it wasn't "hip" at the time. When my grandfather died, we found a letter of his talking about his first wife (my dad's mom who died 40 years ago and I never knew) and how she was a knitting maniac. Now my mom is convinced that I somehow *knew* and HAD TO knit because of this. Even though it's nice to imagine that connection with a woman I know so little about, I don't know if I really believe that. Either I learned because I just wanted to or it was passed on in my blood.

www.kategilbert.com
www.kategilbert.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  04:02:31 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
I think for me that knitting is in the blood. This is so strong that I can almost feel it in my hands.

My mum knit occassionally and certainly taught me to knit. Her favourite thing was to paint and at this she was good. My sister too is into textiles having a degree in the subject but she dosn't hand knit.

My maternal grandmother had arthritis so never knit in my presence, also I did not know her well, I only met her 4 or 5 times and she died when I was a child. Now when she died my mother took a small amount of things from her house, one was her bag of knitting needles and the others were two aran style jumpers. They were beutifully knitted and finished. When I was a teenager I worn them as did my mother. When I learnt to knit, it was her needles I used.

In some funny indirect way I think her skill was passed to me. I think this even more strongly when last year looking at my mothers families census returns I found that my great grandmother and great, great grandmother were listed not as farmers wives and daughters (which they were) but as dressmakers and needle women.

Definately in my blood - its nice it makes me feel so close to them. Funnily my brother ended up a carpenter which many men in that family did also. For all of us it must be in the hands

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting
Go to Top of Page

dignitynaplomb
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  04:05:43 AM  Show Profile Send dignitynaplomb a Private Message
My grandmother taught me originally, then a few years ago, I retaught myself. She also taught my mother when she was small, Mom still knows the basics but it's not something she likes to do all the time, my sisters never had the desire to learn. Nobody on my father's side does anything even remotely crafty.

-Heather

http://sitnknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  07:25:04 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
I was taught by my mother who was taught by her mother - I'm assuming all the women further back than that knew how to knit also since it was most likely part of their education (the womaly arts like housekeeping and cooking - the textbooks are cool - I have my grandmothers). And now, my son has learned - I doubt he'll be a voracious knitter like his Mom - but he knows how and is proud to have the knowledge! - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

scarf-o-matic
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  07:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarf-o-matic's Homepage Send scarf-o-matic a Private Message
My grandmother was a knitter, but did not teach me. She died a couple of years ago, and would have a laugh if she saw me knitting... I loved her laugh. My mother does not knit, but she has been making a quilt for the last million years, and my sister is a dressmaker/Industrial machinist. So some form of craft does crop up in the family... I was labelled the 'bookish' one, but when I picked up the needles earlier this Autumn I found that the pen and the needle are not adversaries after all.

Jess

http://scarfomatic.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaniW
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  07:48:36 AM  Show Profile Send DaniW a Private Message
My step-mom and her mom tried (in vain) to turn me into a little lady. I was 8 or 9 at the time. They showed me macrame (this was the 70s after all), crochet, and embroidery.
I can't remember who showed me how to knit, but I didn't get a chance to learn anything, I was just given a demonstration.

I remember my sister knitting and she made me a sweater that I wore forever. Was a long sleeved, garter stitch sweater with a sailor collar. Wish I still had it. That was the only rememberance on anyone knitting. I also remember my mom, who is a bitter, angry woman, mocking the sweater my sister knit for her. She never showed me how to knit because she said she couldn't figure out how to work with a leftie.

I come by my aptitude for creativity through the blood. My mother was once a gifted artist and all of her sisters were quite creative in one form or another. My mom credits her sister Marie for teaching me to draw and her other sister Irma was extremely talented with sewing. I had many of her little creations for years.

I was always known as the creative one out of all of the kids and my art was always encouraged by everyone around me. It has always been my therapy and way of escaping from the pain of my childhood.

I went on to do just about any handcraft that I can, even selling my handmade jewelry for awhile. I am teaching myself knitting and I find it such a good fit for my life, esp. as it is such a good outlet for me while I am still recovering from my hysterectomy and am not allowed to lift anything heavier than 5lbs.

The creative gene was passed on to my kids. My DH is quite creative in his own right, so they get it from both sides. My 9yo has already asked to learn knitting. I told him that I have to figure out what I'm doing first! But eventually I hope to teach both of them.
Last night they were busy making ornaments and my 9yo was working on origami. They both are learning to hand sew as well. Dh and I are planning on getting them tools this Christmas so they can learn wood working as well.

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
It's in our family blood. I learned from Gram when I was small,and Mom took over later on when I was in 4-H. Both women are highly accomplished knitters in their own rights, although Gram has focused on feather and fan afghans for years while Mom loves cables.

The interesting thing is that Mom had all but stopped knitting after I left for college. Over the last two years I've pulled her back in, and now she spends more than I do on yarn!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:46:26 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
This is great, so far for the majority it is a thing passed through the generations or through friendship groups.

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting
Go to Top of Page

MJM
Chatty Knitter

Canada
293 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit MJM's Homepage Send MJM a Private Message
My aunt taught me to knit, though she is married into the family. My mother doesn't do any crafts, what-so-ever. My grandmother did a lot of needlepoint, though I think she crocheted a little bit when she was younger. Other than that, I am the only one in my family that knits/crochets.

MJM

View My Blog at:
http://alwayscastingon.blogspot.com/

"Life is a stocking," grandma says,
"And yours has just begun.
"But I am knitting the toe of mine,
"And my work is almost done."

*Nineteenth-century rhyme

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  09:02:20 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
My mother taught me to knit, sew, crochet and embroider when I was old enough to hold a needle or hook. Also to cook and bake when I could stand on a chair and work over a countertop. She had 3 small children and worked in the family business, my older brothers weren't expected to do "girl's work" so I was pressed into service as soon as possible.

I would knit ribbings or do hand-sewing or crochet edgings while my mother did the main job before she trusted me to take on an entire garment. I also made tons of dolls' clothes. It was my job to clean and cut up meat and vegetables for her to start cooking dinner. By the time I was in my teens I was making all my own clothes and cooking for the family.

I think she was surprised that I like working with my hands because she found it a burden. She told me that she had learnt from her mother but never had her mother's talent. I was very moved when she said she thought I had inherited some of her mother's gift.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.