Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Intarsia designs for socks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  08:27:36 AM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
Just curious -- I found a website which sells kits for intarsia designed socks. How would one go about actually knitting something in the round using intarsia? As you finish each round the color would end up on the wrong side to be picked up on the next round.
Or would you have to knit it flat and then run a seam up the back? (uncomfortable for socks!)

Here's the website if you want to take a look:
http://www.sweaterscapes.com/socks.htm

Meg

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  09:02:55 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
To answer your question, when knitting intarsia in the round the yarn always ends up in the same spot.....the beginning of the round. Doing it in the round is really no problem in fact I think it is easier than doing it flat.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  6:17:47 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I'm sorry, Fran, I'm still not understanding this.

Here's what I'm imagining: you start the round in color A, knit halfway around the circle, drop A and pick up B, knit the other half of the circle (which would be back to the beginning of the round). At that point, if you wanted to drop B and start using A again, the bobbin wouldn't be there. It would still be halfway around the circle.

I suppose you could strand A along the back of B, but I thought that's not really intarsia. Or you could use a seperate strand for each row, but that would get really icky really fast when you had to weave in all those ends.

Am I missing something simple here?

Meg
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  8:34:56 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Why are you stopping halfway? Any intarsia I have done you completed the row with the same color before switching. The rows of a sock go all the way around and end up where you began. Doing it the way you describe does leave you stranded and also makes a sock that has two sides that are different on each side. There is a way to do it by learning to "knit backwards" but I doubt very much that is what your pattern is telling you to do.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

susanne
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  05:55:21 AM  Show Profile Send susanne a Private Message
I make a lot of intarsia socks- argyles and those vintage grace ennis patterns with the bowling pins, chess pieces, etc. on them. I also have a collection of about twenty vintage pattern books for socks, many of them intarsia. Every single pattern and every sock I've made like this is done with a seam up the back. If the patterns doesn't continue down the foot you can join at the ankle just above the heel turn and work circularly so there is no seam at the foot. The seam in the back is not very noticeable, really! I do not know of any real alternative to this method, nor is this as difficult as it sounds. Yes, you have to work back in pattern on the wrong side (as you would with any intarsia) unless you know how to knit back backward, which I habitually do anyway, since I am an eastern uncrossed, left handed, screwed up knitter these many years. If you like to knit intarsia patterns, go for it! These socks are lots of fun and very satisfying when done.

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  06:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
I have a Grace Ennis pattern I have been meaning to knit for ages. Intarsia is my least favorite type of knitting- all those working colors just seems too "untidy" for me. Anyway, wondering- Suzanne, if the gauge and fit of socks is good. Since they are old patterns, wondering if the sizing is still good today. You know how old sweater patterns can have such odd fits. Maybe this will inspire me to just make those socks! They are for DH and he has been patient about it but really wants them. Not that much intarsia on this design (Winged Staff) anyway!
Lisa

New Kool-Aid dyed sock design-Berry Basket Socks
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

susanne
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  11:34:50 AM  Show Profile Send susanne a Private Message
lisa-
My grace ennis socks work out a little more squatty than I would like- next time I think I'll use #0's instead of #1's. It seems as if you really need to acheive the 9-10 stitches to the inch that she recommends for the pattern to come out sharply. I am getting 10 stiches to the inch in shepherd sock, on 0's, so will try that. I have found old sock patterns very reliable- after all you make the foot as long as you need! I don't really care for the newer patterns that just bunch up around the ankle. As to the sizing of old patterns-people are taller (and wider) now, but some of the difference comes from the girdles and longline bras that even skinny models and actresses regularly donned. Clothes just don't look like that anymore!
(of course they don't feel like that either, which is a plus...)

If the intarsia area is small- less than 1 square inch or so, just use loose yarn in 1 or 2 yard lengths. Its much easier to pull free than untangling bobbins for short areas. Works great for cross lines in argyles too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe