Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Ways to use left-over yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  06:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi all,
I have been trying to think of ways to use all the pretty little left-over balls of sock yarns (and more) that I am amassing.Didn't want to make socks this time since I can't use as much in one project.
I recently knit a fun shawl using Koigu (not left-over). It was a good pattern for me- mindless knitting (stockinette)for the entire body, so it was great for summer car travels, and then some thinking-person's-knitting to wake me back up when it came to the lace edging.
Best of all, it was a free pattern on Nancy Bush's web site.
Anyway, after knitting the first shawl for my mother (Queen of purple), my sister was begging for a shawl. Not wanting to buy more yarn at this point, I rooted through my left-over stash. Ended up using lots of fingering weight sock yarns (doubled), bits of eyelash, mohair, and worsted long left-over from sweaters.
End result is a bit flamboyant, but perfect for my sister.
If you want to see..
I have the photos in Picture Trail in my album called, "Knitting ,other than socks"
Lisa in Oklahoma

New Kool-Aid dyed sock design-Berry Basket Socks
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  10:17:31 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
I'm working on the Folk Art Rug from IK Fall 2002, but am using my own leftover yarns, and I am going to make it six feet across. Not using sock yarns, but I am using everything else in my stash, mostly doubled. It will be warm and colorful and cheap and washable. Yay!

AJ

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  12:18:47 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I use a lot of leftovers in hats and mittens and scarfs. One way to tame the "flamboyance" is to knit with more than one strand of yarn, I usually use one color throughout the piece for one strand and then add leftovers for various color parts. This gives some consistency to the coloring so that hats and mittens go together enough to be worn.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  12:30:04 PM  Show Profile Send Pen a Private Message

Fran...Just LOVE that idea!!! Thanks!!! :)
quote:

I use a lot of leftovers in hats and mittens and scarfs. One way to tame the "flamboyance" is to knit with more than one strand of yarn, I usually use one color throughout the piece for one strand and then add leftovers for various color parts. This gives some consistency to the coloring so that hats and mittens go together enough to be worn.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  4:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
I also use most of my leftovers in mittens, scarves, and hats. I usually pick two or three colors and do stripes, or do a main color with contrasting stripes in a very basic pattern. I also once knit a pair of mittens with one solid spruce color and then lots of random one row stripes in all my other yarns and colors. They turned out really pretty and not too wild at all. Also, since I usually knit for the same 3 people over and over again, I can incorporate their leftover colors into new items and at least they all match each other. (Does that make any sense?)

And then I always have my Berlin afghan to use all the rest of the yarn nibber nabbers, and since it's supposed to be an afghan portrait of a city (and I make it up as I go), the crazier the better.

Katie

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I usually prepare my yarn leftovers before knitting. I roll then into one ball, tying them together and continuing to roll until the ball is large enough to use. Since I get about 36 stitches to the yard, I keep this in mind when cutting the leftovers to length. When I'm really lazy, I'll use my yarn winder and wind the scrap ball together with the solid color ball before knitting.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Melanie
New Pal

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  5:23:47 PM  Show Profile Send Melanie a Private Message
What's the address for Nancy Bush's web site? Can't find it on my search engine. Love all these ideas!

Go to Top of Page

Melanie
New Pal

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  5:39:37 PM  Show Profile Send Melanie a Private Message
What's the address for Nancy Bush's web site? Can't find it on my search engine. Love all these ideas!

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  5:45:22 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
To everyone who replied thanks so much for the great ideas. Fran, I especially like the idea of 2 threads one just background color mixed with all the other colors and AJ I have been looking at the rug myself. How is it going, is it fun or what?

ZOLA
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Zola,

Yes, the rug is fun. I keep it in a basket here by my computer and work on it when I am online. You don't have to concentrate once you get past the middle blocks. I am just working garter stitch with 2 yarns(different) for a while on a side, then binding off that side, turn with last stitch left, then picking up and knitting all along the next side, knitting there til I get tired of it, then binding off, turning, and so it goes. The rug is getting pretty large already, and I have ordered a 60" circular from elann.com so that I can keep making it bigger and bigger. Its very colorful and feels great on your feet. We have all used brick floors in our new house, so will want rugs in the bedroom at least, in winter. I also weave rag rugs, but this is really engaging me right now.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

Ludlovian
New Pal

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  3:23:50 PM  Show Profile Send Ludlovian a Private Message
[quote]
I also use most of my leftovers in mittens, scarves, and hats.

I do too, but I have been making them in intrelac patterns recently, using maybe six different leftovers - say three blues and three greens - and changing colour for each row of diamonds. I also use a fine knitting machine colour as a base, adding different toning colours to it. Two or four row stripes with a contrasting colour to give a marled effect can look very good on the reverse side.

Caroline

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  03:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Nancy Bush's site is http://www.woolywest.com
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  07:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I love that shawl. The one for your sister would go perfect in my 21 yr. old son's room when he lived here! It was "amphibian green" and it looks like your border green might match it pretty well...hee,hee. I could have made him a rug or something to match...But I printed the pattern. I don't have quite enough scraps yet, but someday I will. I like the purple one, too, as dd and I love purple. We are going to have purples, blues and pinks we could put together eventually. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  08:02:48 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Ahhh, now we're entering the phase where you can't wait to finish your projects that yarn was 'specially for, so you can incorporate the leftovers into something else. Beware, you may never return to one yarn per project again! Seriously, isn't it fun? As a scrap quilter, I automatically started buying yarns with an eye to the leftovers also, when I started knitting again.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  11:31:45 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I've given some tiny odd balls to my wee friends' pre school to use at craft time. They glue yarn onto their drawings or incorporate them into other projects. And if you have lots of National Geographics lurking, donate them too. The animal pictures get used for decorating the walls!

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  6:01:57 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
A.J., I am also a scrap quilter, I think that is why I love working with lots of different colors in my knitting. Once I realized that with scrap quilts I can buy 1/8 to 1/2 yard of lots I have never looked back. Now with the rug, I can do the same thing with my knitting and not worry about the leftover yarn. I can start the rug and just keep going. I bet you you could just knit multi colored squares, as large or small as you like, sew together and then make the rug as big as you wanted without having all the weight in your lap. Boy, who would have thought. This is a great topic.

ZOLA
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  8:40:29 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
okay, I confess. I've actually gone to the yarn shop and picked up one of every color of yarn for instant leftovers. I've also gone on ebay and purchased odd lots of mixed up yarns for just such projects. The last time I gave Eric (one of my grandsons) a pair of black gloves, he asked me if I had run out of yarn because he wanted colors worked in.

Whew confession is good for the soul isn't it.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  03:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
I am putting together left-overs for another shawl. I had a new hank of a really pretty yarn with gold metallic flecks woven in the strand. Since it was not left-over, I just knit a pair of socks from it to get the left-overs. How about that one?! Knit the yarn to have some left!
Also, now I am looking at single hanks when swapping with people. Before, I only wanted enough of the same color to make a pair of socks.
I did buy yarn for the trim- Debbie Bliss' Cashmerino. Always wanted to use it for something but wasn't ready to make a solid colored sweater since I am enjoying hand-painted variagated yarns so much in my projects.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  08:20:16 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Zola, For me the whole idea is to eliminate the sewing together. I would much rather pick up and knit along the edge of the previous piece than sew them together later. Although, I HAVE singe-crocheted squares together on top for a decorative seam. But I rather like the weight of the rug n my lap. So far, anyway.

Fran, here's a little more confession. When I go to my closest LYS, I pick up all their $2 a skein singles that I find even remotely interesting. I get to try all kinds of stuff without pain, AND I never run out of yarn that qualifies as trim, scraps, or leftovers. I buy a whole lot more yarn that way than I do as x number of skeins for one project.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

Barbara Ann
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  2:47:41 PM  Show Profile Send Barbara Ann a Private Message
AJ,
I have a friend who is a new knitter looking for fun things to do. She also lives partime in an old farmhouse in Vt. so warm things for the floor are a good thing. Wondered if the rug idea might not be a good one for her. She doesn't have much of a stash yet but I sure do.
Is this rug one that your making up or can it and its pattern be viewed online or in a book or magazine.
Thanks,
Barbara

Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  3:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Barbara Ann,

I started with the Folk Art Rug from Interweave Knits Fall 2002, but only did the center design according to their directions. When the pattern called for you to put the stitches on 5 or 6 24" circulars, I started just garter stitching 3 or 4 " on one side, then binding off to the last stitches, turning the corner, and then picking up and knitting stitches all along that side for 3-4", repeat, repeat. I use doubled yarn (different ones) and switch colors whenever I run out or get tired of the one I'm using. I have it in my lap right now, and have been working on it whenever I am here online. Its fun. If your friend isn't up to the center design, the same thing could be done just by knitting a rectangle and then going from there.

AJ

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.