Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Strange knitting prejudices
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  10:40:29 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Earlier I mentioned some prejudices of mine that had fallen by the wayside. I don't think this one will. Beads. I have no desire to knit with beads. I read about it to see how it was done. You have to prestring them on a length of yarn. It just sounds incredibly tedious.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  4:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I'm also a no-fringe type of lady.
Most bobbles don't appeal to me, either.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  04:35:20 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
The thing I hate most besides acrylic is metal needles I just can't abide them.
Go to Top of Page

vbracknell
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit vbracknell's Homepage Send vbracknell a Private Message
I haven't been knitting all that long (I crocheted for years) but I've developed a few prejudices.

I can't stand metal needles, and will skip lunches at work so I can buy more wooden ones. Maybe it's because most of what I am knitting these days is socks, and metal just doesn't feel right and it's too slippery.

Another one right now is getting used to knitting socks with two circs instead of 5 dpn's. I just can't seem to get used to it. I can do it alright, and I don't have trouble keeping track of the needles, it just doesn't feel natural to me.

I'm afraid of sweaters. I've done afghans and mittens and ponchos and hats and scarves and socks, but sweaters scare me -- a lot. The most I have done is make sleeveless shells.

I won a sweater kit from berroco.com recently, so now I am working on a sweater for me in a wonderful angora merino called Pleasure -- so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Victoria
Go to Top of Page

robin.nagle@nyu.edu

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:15:23 AM  Show Profile Send robin.nagle@nyu.edu a Private Message
Once upon a time I was intimated by (and thus prejudiced against) sock knitting, cables, and any kind of spinning. Now I revel in all of them (even socks from very fine yarn on tiny needles). I love considering my knitting prejudices because eventually I get impatient with them and turn them into knitting pride.

The next project is to teach myself to knit continental style (gulp). I've been a thrower since I learned to knit at age 10 and would stay that way forever, except that the sweater I just finished (from my own handspun, thank you very much!) caused me much pain in my right hand and wrist before it was done. Continental-style knitting (plucking the yarn from your left hand rather than throwing it around the needle with your right) doesn't cause carpal tunnel syndrome -- or so I've been told. [Does anyone know if it's true?]
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:18:36 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Anything by Lion Brand. I'm a total yarn snob. I can't stand the yarn called Snowflake, it's soooo plasticky that it actually makes a sound when it rubs together. Sea
ms in patterns when circular is more sensible. Bad photos on patterns - like showing a sweater with a cool neckline but having the models hair cascading over the front of her shoulders so you can't see anything. Oh yeah, "fun" fur. Ugh.
Go to Top of Page

artsyfish

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:32:25 AM  Show Profile Send artsyfish a Private Message
Chenille yarn that worms - probably will never use chenille yarn again after having a sweater that wormed. Who wants to take that chance 14 inch needles, people who insist beginners must stick to scarves or washcloths.

I've done modular (small pieces that GROW into large pieces), two handed fair isle, beaded, circular, seamed, socks (can't wait for my alpaca socks!), thick, thin, whatever....

Meeting with a stich n beach every week and being exposed to different fibers, techniques and projects breaks down prejudices pretty fast - "If she can do it....hmmmmm"
Go to Top of Page

Joykins
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:41:03 AM  Show Profile Send Joykins a Private Message
My thing is seams. I don't want to seam if it can possibly be done any other way. I'm doing a sweater for my baby daughter--who would want to do a pullover in 4 pieces for a baby? The pieces are so tiny. So I'm adapting the pattern on the fly to working in the round where this makes sense, and seaming only where I have to. It's working so far.

I've avoided steeking so far also, because I really do have an irrational fear of my sewing machine, which I don't know how to use and is also currently inaccessible. However, I'll have to look more into that crochet solution.

quote:
Originally posted by robin.nagle@nyu.edu
Continental-style knitting (plucking the yarn from your left hand rather than throwing it around the needle with your right) doesn't cause carpal tunnel syndrome -- or so I've been told. [Does anyone know if it's true?]

I have a history of carpal tunnel and knit continental style. I do not find that my knitting aggravates my wrists--one thing you can do easily with continental style knitting is sort of trade off which wrist does the bending, if that makes any sense. At any rate the wrist movements in continental style knitting are pretty small.

Joy
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:48:34 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Robin, there is no big mystique about continental knitting. It's just something you try and practice awhile and see if it feels right. I'm a lifelong continentaler and so I'm biased. I can knit the other way but I can practically feel my brain processing the steps. I switch on and off if my hands or shoulders get tired. I haven't had carpal tunnel problems, but my left shoulder gets sore on occasion. Nature's way to say "take a break, sistah!"
Go to Top of Page

AusTexSusan
Chatty Knitter

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  10:10:05 AM  Show Profile Send AusTexSusan a Private Message
It's a good thing that knitters are so open minded!

Most of my prejudices are for needles. I really hate large needles -- #10's are about as big as I can manage. I'm also not fond of circulars for flat knitting. Or plastic needles of any size.

Actually, I have a pair of 9-inch bamboo #7's that I love, and try to find patterns that are appropriate -- kind of the cart before the horse syndrome.

I recently tried knitting socks with two circulars, and just couldn't get the hang of it -- I prefer short DPNs.

And I won't do fringe or eyelash yarn or another garter stitch scarf, ever.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
My prejudices (that are not likely to change) include:
*I hate plastic needles and this includes the almost sainted Denise interchangeables. Sorry, gals, but they are not "all that."
*I refuse to spend my time knitting with acrylic yarn. I don't like the way it feels or looks.
*For some reason I've put off making a shawl with cotton yarn. I have had the pattern and yarn for over a year now and still haven't started.
*Fringe--too final! I need to fringe a poncho for my daughter but just haven't "found the time."
*Steeks--that word even scares me.

Prejudices I've overcome:
*Working with DPNs--NOTHING beats a hand knit sock for comfort and looks.
*Spinning--I tried it and it didn't work out. I tried it again and am completely hooked. I do refuse to use a drop spindle, though, and prefer my wheel.
Go to Top of Page

jmdel.1@netzero.com

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  10:23:12 AM  Show Profile Send jmdel.1@netzero.com a Private Message
Please don't discount knitting machines. They aren't as easy to use as one might think, but they are able to do beautiful work. I believe my prejudice is against anyone who thinks using a machine is cheating. Is it cheating to use a sewing machine rather than a needle and thread? I do both and have learned much better finishing techniques from the machine knitting world. I now use those in my hand knitting. We all need to be more open minded.
Go to Top of Page

craftylady23@verizon.net

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  10:29:01 AM  Show Profile Send craftylady23@verizon.net a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth
[
I also have a thing against knitting machines, even though I've never actually ever seen one in action.

I completely agree about knitting machines, and wouldn't consider that an "irrational pejudice". I took a 2-hour class in machine knitting once, with 6 students. At the end of class, 3 couldn't wait to purchase one, and the 2 others and myself never wanted to see one again!

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible." --Soren Kierkegaard

Go to Top of Page

sylph
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  10:33:47 AM  Show Profile Send sylph a Private Message
*briefly stops lurking to post*

Well, let's see...

- I absolutely hate straight needles. I find them akward and my hands get tired trying to hold the needle with all the yarn. I just cannot make myself knit with them. I will use double points for small projects like scarves. I stick something on the end to keep the stitches from falling off and treat them like tiny straight needles. Of course, I won't use them for circular knitting though. It's two circulars all the way for me.

- I used to use only wood needles, hating all plastic and metal needles. I still hate plastic, and refuse to use it, but I broke down and tried the Addi needles and have been completely converted. Even so, they are the only metal needles I'll touch. The rest just make me cringe.

- I will not make bobbles. I think they look stupid.

- I'm the opposite of some of you with weaving in ends. One inch one way and an inch back, and that's it. I can't make myself do more. I haven't had one come out yet.

- When I'm winding yarn from my swift, I always have to hold the yarn between my fingers and 'guide' it to the winder, even though I know it's not necessary since the yarn is tensioned just fine without my help. I have absolutely no idea why I started doint this.

Well, it's just after eight o'clock, and time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode.
Go to Top of Page

Arow
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  10:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arow's Homepage Send Arow a Private Message
quote:
I'm prejudiced against raglan sweaters made in pieces when raglan shaping is so suited to circular knitting. What are those designers thinking?

I'm with you! My irrational fear of seaming, combined my appreciation for good engineering and my preference for ethnic designs, always leads me down the circular path. Especially with raglans, I don't understand why people do it any other way.

DPNs are untrustworthy little beasts -- give me magic loop any day! -- and fringe, as far as I'm concerned, is a waste of perfectly good yarn that'll just tangle and look old before its day.

This is all in good fun, of course. :)

- Arow
http://www.lietcam.com/yarnwise
Go to Top of Page

LLWoollyMammoth
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile Send LLWoollyMammoth a Private Message
I don't do sweaters with 'sleeve issues' where the sleeves are not set in and not raglan, but just sewed onto the top of the sweater with droopy seams. Unless it's the style. But so many are just too lazy to include shaping. Almost always do circular and getting ready for my first steek. I won't mind because I'm ready for it. If my sister can, so can I. I love wool and hardly ever complete anything else--not to say I haven't started them! Love socks & mittens because they are small projects to take with and I don't have to think about them very much. They are good carpool knitting. I never tie knots. I'm big on 'spit & splice', even for fair isle knitting because I don't think I'd do it if I had to weave in all those ends or carry 10 balls of yarn around with the project. Which is why it's good I love wool. Lately I just knit anything. Need to finish some projects.
Go to Top of Page

sewartist@yahoo.com

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  1:18:09 PM  Show Profile Send sewartist@yahoo.com a Private Message
I hate "fun fur"- hi, who decided it was fun?? I don't enjoy purling either...been knitting for 36 yrs too. :-) Never knitted a sock and never will. I don't like acrylic yarns - I like some of the pricey cottons but the truth is, they don't hold their shape. I love to knit w/ wool but I am allergic to it so I can't wear it. I live in a climate that is too hot anyway. That doesn't stop me from knitting w/ it though. I love addi turbo needles and cannot imagine ever using straight needles again. Bamboo is my next favorite. I don't like big needles, i.e. 13 or higher. Feels like I am knitting with ski poles!! I'm not afraid of trying anything new or that I haven't done. I HATE intarsia but I love the look of it for kid's things. When I do it, I curse a lot!!! It's just so annoying to untangle all the yarns. I don't tie knots either - like someone here said, they always find their way to the front. I hate weaving. My biggest pet peeve is poorly written instructions and I have seen a lot of them!! I always have at least 4 projects going because I have a short attn span and get bored easily. I must knit - it's my meditation time and I must always go into any yarn store I pass by. LOL.

Patti

Art is frozen Zen. R.H. Blyth
Go to Top of Page

HouseMouse
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  1:37:41 PM  Show Profile Send HouseMouse a Private Message
Hey, I didn't think I was prejudiced until I read through this thread! So here are mine:

**Large needles. I have small hands and can't go past #10's either without feeling like I am manipulating tree trunks.

**Prefer NOT to use circular needles. I know that goes against the grain for most knitters, too! The cables feel like they twist, and so many times when I am starting a new round, the free needle pops out and takes a few stitches with it. I do love not having to seam the final product as much, though.

**Had my prejudice against eyelash/fun fur confirmed by a friend who's a new knitter. She can't see what she's doing stitch-wise through all the nonsense going on in the fiber. I've given her some project leftovers in acrylic, wool, and cotton for her to try so she doesn't leave the knitting fold altogether.

**Tried double-point knitting last night for the first time to do a sleeve cuff and will second the "porcupine wrestling." That's not something I'm going to volunteer to do again, except for the second cuff, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

sberns@tampabay.rr.com

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  1:41:48 PM  Show Profile Send sberns@tampabay.rr.com a Private Message
I can't seem to bring myself to make clothing items for my kids (there are four of them and they are 7 years old and under) because the few hand knit items they have now they don't really appreciate. Also, they are really hard on them and the clothes start to fall apart. Finally, they outgrow them. It breaks my heart. I will make them blankets and other things they can continue to use. I suspect when they are older and more understanding of the care put into the items, I will be glad to make whatever they want.

"Do your best, then, Don't worry, be happy." - Meher Baba
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  2:04:59 PM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
I guess I`ll have to think of something that I don`t like,& get back to you. I can`t really think of anything when it comes to knitting. I`m forever knitting.I just do what it takes to do it.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.