Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Editorial Suggestion Box for Knitter's Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bflexner
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  5:45:25 PM  Show Profile Send Bflexner a Private Message
Clara, I really enjoy the site, I have been with it for several incarnations and changes and it just gets better and better. Sometimes I wish for less diversity, more focus on yarns and such, rather than books, but then something that I didn't think would interest me will change the focus of my knitting. I would have never thought that I could knit socks, but I am halfway through my third pair, each one gets more complicated and the needles are smaller and smaller. My office staff thinks that it is a strange addiction, and it all started with "Knitter's Review". Additionally, your polls make me realize that I am not unique and my experience and feelings are shared by many.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Karly
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  9:13:45 PM  Show Profile Send Karly a Private Message
Knitter's Review is one of the highpoints of my week. All I can ask for is more yarn reviews. More Yarn!! Not that I really need to be inspired to buy more yarn........

Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  1:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
I'd like to second the request to have the forums read backwards, i.e. the newest posts first. I like to see what's going on *now* when I visit a forum for the first time--or to tell at a glance if a very juicy post in a favorite forum has gotten a reply yet. ;-)

Thanks for all your hard work! The forums are wonderful--and so is the rest of the site. The yarn reviews are what I personally find most useful, but I also enjoy the polls and the features too.

--Beth
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  8:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Clara, I agree with everyone that your site is great. And, it sure beats watching yet another beach/surfing movie, which my dh is doing, for what reason, I do no know !! It is one of the many movies made by the guy who made "The Endless Summer." Anyway, this is my favorite site, very friendly and I love your reviews, very helpful to someone who had only used acrylics and Woolease before I joined the forums! I have to agree--SEND CHOCOLATE!! One can be very careful eating chocolate while knitting if one wants to be! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

cannd
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  07:49:53 AM  Show Profile Send cannd a Private Message
Clara - I find the review excellent. Keep up the great work!

Diane Cannizzaro
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  08:02:45 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Clara as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it...."
We love you and KR as is. Yes, being able to attach pictures would be nice, having the choice to read newest to oldest would be nice, but everything is wonderful as is. I am truly addicted to knitting and the forum since I first stumbled upon it.
I also found this interesting. It seems that a lot of newbies or lurkers have posted an answer to this particular question. You have more fans than you even thought. Happy knitting and keep up the good work. You are appreciated.
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  09:17:41 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Dear Clara,

Your site is wonderful! I love the almost instant feedback when I vote in a poll. I love the yarn reviews. I never would have thought to try Regia or Opal, otherwise.

I love the messages in their current order. When I do have time to surf the web, I go straight to the forums. I've tried to join other boards before, and couldn't get past the registration! Yours is best!

I would also like to thank you for allowing the Flylady thread. That website is now my second favorite and I'm slowly getting our house in order. I just know that means I'll have more knitting time in the near future.

I can only think of two minor suggestions for improvement. First, I'd like to see more reviews of books. They are such a major investment and magazine reviews are often more glowing than they should be. Perhaps we could have an informal review topic? I know there are a few "loose threads" out there now, but perhaps they could be all in one area.

Also, I would like to see some of the above suggestions for the sock section (topic? what are they called anyway?) applied to the lace section. I would love to try that next but find it intimidating.

And come to think of it, what is the buddy list for anyway?

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication. Please take care of yourself for all our sakes. Don't take on more than you can chew, as my mom always warns me.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

forejose@uti.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  11:57:06 AM  Show Profile Send forejose@uti.com a Private Message
[quote]
What have we done right, and how can we improve? Please take a moment to let us know how we can better serve your interests and needs. Thank you!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Dear Clare,
Knitting is an obsession with me. There just isn't enough time in the day to knit and do all that "other" stuff. I look forward to KR. You've made it very reader friendly and it just stimulates me to knit more and more and more. Darn it but something just had to go...that being housework.
I'm also a chocolate addict...just thought I'd mention it! Thanks for all you do to make knitting the marvelous medium for meeting new friends!If I didn't have to work I'd join you on retreat. How I envy those that can.
I'm on to another project.
Sincerely,
Mary
Go to Top of Page

oliviaryan
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  1:02:35 PM  Show Profile Send oliviaryan a Private Message
I learn so much here!! And it's so nice that you try out all that yarn before I do - saves me so much money! Keep up the good work, and a million thanks for all you do.

Go to Top of Page

navyseel
Chatty Knitter

142 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  2:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit navyseel's Homepage Send navyseel a Private Message
I second all of the praises so far. This is the first knitting site I visit, and the one I return to the most during the week. You've fostered a wonderful community here, Clara, and have helped to deepen our love of the craft in the process. The abundance of information on this site and in your newsletters have encouraged me to try techniques I might not normally have known about. The only thing I would change is to add more polls--maybe a new one two or three times a week! I know this is a lot more work, but I love learning how other people answer the questions, and keep clicking through the old ones to see if there is one I haven't answered.

Go to Top of Page

cnlknitr
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  6:28:26 PM  Show Profile Send cnlknitr a Private Message
Clara
I love the forum........... just the way it is. Perhaps an improvement would be making it audible so I could continue knitting while listening (^^)
Carol

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  10:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Clara,
I must agree, the forums are the easiest to use that I have ever found! I am not certain I would enjoy reading the posts backwards, goodness knows I have a hard enough time keeping track going forwards.

My only suggestion is that we be able to change our last visited date to a numeric entry instead of picking from the options listed. I never was very good with cookie cutters either

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for ALL that you do for us!!!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  1:02:42 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Hi Clara. First to echo the general consensus: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Knitter's Review, and look forward to it every week. I love that you always manage to come up with something new and interesting, and the variety of topics, from yarn reviews to book reviews, to profiles of wool farms, to knitting tips....

The reason I'm writing is b/c I went looking thru the archives b/c I thought for sure you had done an article about knitting with novelty yarns (in general, as opposed to reviews of specific ones) and lo and behold, couldn't find one! I am now playing around with a very fun fluffly novelty yarn as a trim on a cap for my daughter and am interested in trying out some more fun yarn. So I would be interested in reading about different kinds of novelty yarns (i.e., the Berroco stuff that just came out with sequins vs. eyelash vs metallic, etc., carryalong threads vs. the ones you use alone, how do you use for trim if the gauge of the novelty yarns is different (i.e., bigger) than the body of the garment, how to guesstimate how much one would need for a scarf or hat, etc.) - basically a primer on novelty yarns. I know you must have tons of story ideas, so just throw this one into the hopper.

Thanks again, and we truly do appreciate all your hard work,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  2:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I know this is on a lot of other sites, but maybe a little review of our favorite lys would be an interesting topic for a newsletter.
Or while you are on vacation, you could have some reader submitted reviews for books, yarn, etc. serve as part of the newsletter. I'm just speaking from experience with my yarn shop review. I felt SO COOL! to have a review on the site.

erica :)
(knitgrl is my license plate)
Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
http://erica-lee.org/crafts.html
Go to Top of Page

RipKo
Chatty Knitter

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  6:16:44 PM  Show Profile Send RipKo a Private Message
Clara,

I, like so many others, love Knitter's Review. I love the layout, forums, and reviews. If you didn't change a thing, KR would still be perfect!

If it wasn't for KR, I wouldn't be able to knit. There is no LYS close to me and I don't know anyone that knits. Between teaching myself and reading the forums, I'm making strides!

Now, if only I could make it to the retreat and win the chocolate!!!

Thanks for a caring and doing such a great job!

-Dawn

<:0)
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  08:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh so many things to improve...

First of all, could you all actually come to my home and sit with me when I have knitting problems?

Second, I haven't won the monthly prize yet, so that clearly needs to change.

And I'd also like a houseboy named Coco to do all my housework and feed me peeled grapes while I knit.

If you could get those problems fixed, this place might just be bareable!

Of course you know I think you're the best, and just the fact that you do try to check up to see what would make us even happier with this wonderful haven you've provided us all raises you even further in my estimations!

WE LOVE YOU!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  10:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
You all are so thoughtful and intelligent and talented and kind and, may I add, stupendously funny! What I'm hearing here is that there's an interest in:

- being able to post pictures in the forums
- being able to read posts in reverse chronological order, although others don't wish for this
- more polls
- clearer subcategories in the sock forums
- more reader-written LYS reviews from time to time
- more yarn, yarn, and yarn
- at least 5,000 monthly prizes
- houseboys named Coco for every subscriber

I'll definitely work on these! Some are more possible than others. Part of the issue about allowing pictures in the forums is a) this will make the pages take even longer to load, b) yes, it'd require lots more disk space, and c) it'd require all sorts of extra anti-virus work to make sure outsiders weren't uploading bad stuff.

Within the next 7 days we'll finally be launching the boutique and a redesigned KR. The underlying site won't change a bit, fear not. We're just fixing the navigation so that it'll be easier to find stuff. For example, all the How-To articles have been hidden in the Yarns section all this time. Boo hiss, that's no good! So there'll be a new How-Tos section. You'll be able to find yarn reviews based on yarn gauge, name, or manufacturer. You'll be able to see book reviews based on title or author. And there'll be a whole section dedicated to the polls.

I've found that a lot of newcomers were confused at first about what, exactly, KR is. The homepage launched right into the newsletter without any explanation. So we're adding a new homepage that makes things clearer, tells you what's new that week, and introduces our three fundamental sections: magazine, boutique, and forums.

Once all this is up, I really do hope you'll let me know if it works for you. The idea was to keep things easy and just make them clearer. You're the final judge of that.

And of course, as always, THANK YOU!!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  4:57:30 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
Clara, the new improved KR sounds great. No complaints here with the current site. As others have noted, it's as addictive as knitting itself. Every time I read one of your yarn reviews I marvel at where you find the time to swatch and test and still keep up with your own knitting projects. (Or do you find the time?) And as a novice knitter, I also find the book reviews helpful, particularly when they spur member discussion.

And, hey, if you can't find enough houseboys named Coco for every member, I'll take one who goes by any name. Roger, Pete, Sonny, whatever.

Go to Top of Page

terri@spinningwheel.net
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  8:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit terri@spinningwheel.net's Homepage Send terri@spinningwheel.net a Private Message
The content is great. Photos are clear and useful. Layout is clean and uncluttered, easy to find links and predict where they'll go. The search box is a little hidden, I almost signed up for the newsletter twice, mistaking it for the search box. Serves me for not reading the text. I look forward every week to my Knitter's Review, and I think it's a kick that you're celebrating 10,000 while another Well-Heeled knitters community is celebrating half that number.

===

Well, this might be nitpicky, but I'd like some improvements to the search engine. Actually, the engine is fine, but your page titles are all listed as "Knitters Review - Article" or "Knitters Review - Forum" or something less than useful.

TECHNOSPEAK:

I've looked at your output HTML source (view source) and you've got two <head></head> sections - looks like you're trying to have the article name as the <title></title> (I'm closing the tags to make sure I don't break these pages :) ) but the search engine is only finding the first head which has uninformative header info. Looks like your template could use some sprucing up.

Like I said, it's nitpicky. :)

Keep up the good work!

Terri Shea
terri@spinningwheel.net

Go to Top of Page

clariestar
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  11:53:45 PM  Show Profile Send clariestar a Private Message
Oh Clara, I just love this site. I don't remember how I discovered it, but that doesn't matter, because it is my very favorite. The designe is clear and clean, the forum is easy to navigate, and the chance to win chocolate is just, well, chocolate in my knitting basket! And, your name is lots like mine! (Although I bet it's not short for Clarissa. Don't tell anyone!)
I like have the forums with the newest posting last, it means I don't have to go all the way to the bottom and work my way up, 'cause sometimes I don't get here for a couple weeks or so. The only thing I can think of to change is more time in my day so I could hang out everyday!

Thanks!

Clare

Knit the world together, one stitch at a time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?