Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Editorial Suggestion Box for Knitter's Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  2:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
What have we done right, and how can we improve? Please take a moment to let us know how we can better serve your interests and needs. Thank you!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  3:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
Something to think about......

I sometimes wish I could post pictures without going to another web page. My husband is a chainmailler and their board, through dark in design, has some really cool options and is worth looking at for ideas.

www.chainmaille.prohosting.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?action=browse&number=3&DaysPrune=60&LastLogin=

www.chainmaille.prohosting.com

Who would have thought chainmaille was so popular?

I understand it may not be possible because of server space, but it's just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  4:10:31 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
On the Forum it would be nice if the Board was set up to read backwards. By that I mean the newest messages first. Then you wouldn't have to go through so many to read the most recent posts. I would also suggest Forum Topics in the Sock Knitting area be broken down to something like general information, Hints and Tips, Help section...I don't know something like that. Then have sections on different brands of yarn. It is hard to wade through all the information.
And of course if you were not such a great unbiased writer maybe I wouldn't be out buying something new every weekend. Just kidding. I start looking forward to the new review about Tuesday or Wednesday every week.
Thanks for all of the hard work!
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

chrisknits
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  4:10:32 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknits a Private Message
Clara, I think you have done a marvelous job. I love the polls! Makes me see where I fit the norm and where I am way off the norm!
The reviews have been unbiased, except for when you reallllly love something ;), factual, and complete. I love the reviews because it allows me to "see" what a yarn does before I email an online provider to get it. Being in a LYS deficient area I need the advice you provide!
The review on swifts showed me that I really didn't NEED a wooden one, but it was OK to go ahead and get a wooden one anyway! I am into those aesthetics!
The only thing that would make it even better is if I would win the drawing someday!!
Overall I would give you a thumbs up rating.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2075 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  4:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Clara, many thanks for all your time, energy, brain power, passion & tea that you drink to recharge your batteries plus Clancy, your handsome cat, who helps you put all of this together. Congrats on #10,000.
Although I think that Helen's idea of a break down of Sock Knitting topics is an interesting one, I do disagree w/her idea that the Forums should read backward - i.e the newest post first. One can always scroll down to see the newest. I do like seeing the thoughts after the idea &/or ? that spawned them.
My only recent suggestions was posted already - that was the idea for a Shawl & Scarf section in the Seeking Pattern area.
Again, let me say - you're the tops!

Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  4:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
Keep up the interesting, yet provacative pictures on the newsletters. They make me smile. (first a beach, then a breast, what's next....)

You know I'm just joshing. I love KR, and the forums. I too wish we could post pictures on the forums. But don't agree with more forums. There are a lot already.

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  5:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
Clara,

You've done just about everything right - so much so I can't quite put my finger on anything I'd care to complain about (which, if you ask my husband, is quite an accomplishment indeed).

I was delighted to find you - love the layout, the colours, the ease of use of your site and the forums here. I enjoy coming here every day to see what's new in the world of knitting.

Thank you,
Jen

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm
Go to Top of Page

mom.inc
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  5:51:09 PM  Show Profile Send mom.inc a Private Message
I truly enjoy your presentation, Clara, and as with others, wish Friday would get here sooner....along about Wed!!

May we please have more information on upside-down sweater patterns/pattern books? My patterns are antique and well used, but I would be interested in your reviews of the current books.

Thanks for a wonderful site. Keep the good work coming!!!

Marian Kinkead
Go to Top of Page

Mary
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  6:10:25 PM  Show Profile Send Mary a Private Message
What you are doing right is the incredibly informative yarn reviews, and the gorgeous close-up photos!

Go to Top of Page

Knitnluv
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  6:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitnluv's Homepage Send Knitnluv a Private Message
Congratulations on achieving the 10000 milestone. Keep on keeping on.

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  6:42:02 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I agree with the person who said it would be great if pictures could be embedded in the postings. That would be so helpful.

I'm pretty new here and I enjoy it a lot. All I can add is:

SEND ME THE CHOCOLATE!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

pdinnocenzo
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  7:06:37 PM  Show Profile Send pdinnocenzo a Private Message
I love the yarn reviews, but especially the book reviews! I'm usually in a hurry when I visit our local bookstore, so the reviews help me cut to the chase!

Go to Top of Page

DebbieRicard@aol.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile Send DebbieRicard@aol.com a Private Message
Every Thursday I've been religiously checking for my Knitter's Review! In my opinion I think your newsletter is right on - although I've only returned to knitting in the past six months from a 20+ year hiatus I enjoy how you offer a weekly topic which may or may not be in sync with my current project, but always gives me something to think about! (and possibly evolve to...although I'll never be at the stage where I'll comb and dye raw materials to make my own yarn!!)

I thought I was the only person who still knitted...and now I've been finding out how many friends I have who enjoy the same hobby! It's amazing how relaxing knitting is!! Thanks again for sharing your beautiful pictures, books and yarn reviews! I really look forward each week!! And please send chocolate :D
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  9:35:02 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I love it just the way it is.The ammount of people who use it say everything really.I never came anywhere near the computer until I came across the email address in one of our weekly magazines and talked my husband into showing me how to get into it.I love the knowledge you can pick up plus the informal atmosphere where you can get to know people and have a laugh at the same time.It's so well balanced that I couldn't find anything to criticise about it.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  10:14:12 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I love the yarn reviews and the book reviews and even everyones comments on various patterns. I'm stuck at home (but not for long) and make many of my knitting decidions after reading the newletter. Besides, I just love Clara's sense of humor.

Fran

p.s. Clara, so sorry about the inverted nipple......LOL

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  04:44:48 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
It might be helpful to have periodic knitting lessons on line. One of the sites I've looked at lists lessons on line and there was a minimal charge. They even had streaming video for demonstrations. I think it might be a lot to take on, but it would further the cause!

I think a Sunday (any) night chat would be fun. We could pick a topic and people could log on and chat with a knit designer or a spinner or talk about upcoming events for knitting. I'm not sure what the buddy list is for, but I have no buddies at this point.

Otherwise, you know I'm "hooked" on this site. The reviews have taught me a lot about different kinds of fibers that are available. The retreat and your willingness to get such a thing together were outstanding!!! Yay, Clara!

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

yarncollector
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  05:05:08 AM  Show Profile Send yarncollector a Private Message
Clara, I think you do a wonderful job! I love the layout. I can pick exactly what I want to read (or have time to read) without having to search too much, and I love the yarn reviews. It is so nice to have someone else do the "dirty work" when it comes to testing yarns. Also, the forums are great for tips. I look forward to reading them every week, and I like that I can pick only the topics I'm interested in. I have recommended this site to many of my knitting friends. GREAT JOB!

Go to Top of Page

susanne
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  05:12:00 AM  Show Profile Send susanne a Private Message
First of all I have to agree that this web site is just about perfect- for appearance, ease of use and content I can't really suggest any improvements!
I love the reviews, especially the books reviews. Many of these titles are only avaliable through mail order, and it really helps to know what's between the covers. When everyone else comments on the book being reviewed you have a near perfect indication of whether to make the purchase (how many of us rushed out and bought the urban knitter, hmmn?...)
It can be a little tedious to scroll through the old replies to get to the new ones, but I have to agree that putting the new ones first would make it easy to lose the train of thought, given that so many of us wander (slightly?) off topic.
I love the suggestion about separate topics for the brands of yarn, especially sock yarn. Couldn't someone just start a topic with those headings- opal, socka, regia, shepherd sock, ...? I've already spent a small fortune on opal after seeing it praised here- (I'd never heard of it before, now I'm on the second of seven pairs of tiger socks.)
I also really appreciate the reviews of online shops- and the warnings... otherwise I might have thought my experience with patternworks was just a fluke...or ordered yarn from eknitting to make a christmas present (think of the frustration).
Thanks, Clara, for all the hard work that goes into making this so pleasant for the rest of us!

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  06:38:13 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Just like to add my two cents worth. I agree with all of the above. I love this site and look forward after a day at work of coming home and getting on line to see what everyone has to say about everything. I love both the yarn and book reviews, I also live in a area with no yard shops except Walmart and I am past the Walmart stage, when I do get to town or on line for yarn your review are a great source of info. The review of the Pattern Book, sorry senior moment ( can't think of name of book), but I bought it and right now have loaned it to my knitting buddy - as she need one too. Usually we share books, but in this instance I think we both need our own. Between the two of us, we have quite a good library going. Sorry per usual I have got off the point. Maybe I should change my name to Rambling Rose. To make a long story short, I love the site.

ZOLA
Go to Top of Page

MarionB
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  11:32:11 AM  Show Profile Send MarionB a Private Message
Clara, Congratulations on 10,000! I'd also like a breakdown on sock subjects; the Regia, Opal yarns have made sock knitting oodles of fun! But in general, you are doing a great job!

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  12:27:11 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Dear Clara,

Well, what can I say about Knitters Review being any better than it already is? Absolutely nothing!! Nada, zippo, zilch, zero, finito!! I love KR best of all and I like the way you run it, so in my very humble opinion------ "I love you just the way you are", and thanks Billy Joel for the perfect sentiment.

Warmest Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.