Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 VK Map of the World Afghan
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else was looking at the gorgeous pictures of the Map of the World afghan in the latest (Fall) issue of Vogue Knitting International.... I want to knit it so badly but it is really going to be at the bottom of a (very) long to-knit list. I also looked at the kits online and have difficulty justifying $140 for an afghan (even just hypothetically!) But... I still really want to knit it. I think I'm going to try to get the pattern anyway, just to look at/drool over. Anyone else sending away for the pattern or interested in knitting the afghan?

I think part of my interest is because I remember my dear babysitter Kelsey was knitting the original map of the world sweater when I was like 10 or 11. I thought it was cool that we were both knitting-- she showed me her sweater and I showed her the blankets I was making for my Breyer model horses, ha ha! My, how times have changed.

Katie

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  8:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I have been in love with that sweater pattern since it was first published but I have never gotten around to knitting it. Of course, I will have to add the afghan pattern to my someday list as well! What fun

Happy dreaming,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  9:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
So, we can have a "someday" stash, too, huh? Sounds good if it is just the pattern that I can look at and dream over....not so much money wasted if I don't ever make it! (Does that sound like I have some experience in that area??) At one point, when I used to cross-stitch a lot, I thought that maybe I should just frame the pattern picture, so I wouldn't be so upset about not making it...hmmmm...Except there is usually some print or something kind of giving away that it is a pattern. This afghan sounds very interesting. Is that a regular magazine you can buy at newstands? Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  11:20:59 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Alissa,
Do you know which issue of Vogue that sweater pattern was first in (or, conversely, do you know how one might hypothetically find that sweater pattern?)

Barb,
I love the idea of just framing the pattern-- that's really funny! Yes, the article and pictures of the afghan are in the latest issue of Vogue Knitting International, which should be in bookstores if not in supermarkets and the like. Unfortunately, frustratingly, the pattern is not included in the magazine-- you either have to email them or send them a self-addressed stamped envelope. I emailed them-- let's see if I actually get my electronic pattern!

Katie (who is very silly)

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  09:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Thanks! I will see if I can find it, maybe on my break. I am the only person in my dept. who is in town today...so I am filling in for someone else, and working 10 hours, but get a break. YAY. My son, who used to work in the dept. is doing the last 5 hours tonight, so I don't have to work 15 hours straight-YIKES! At least I work on my computer at home and I got several rows done on a gift sock, before it started getting busy. The afghan sounds like it is worth looking into! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  10:59:43 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
I, too, want to get just the pattern. Its not as if I don't have plenty of different yarns I can use to make it when I get around to it. Wouldn't it make a great rug, knitted double and then sewed to a rug backing?

I have that issue, so I too will email them and see if I get it.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

PatC
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  11:31:06 AM  Show Profile Send PatC a Private Message
Hi all,

I also drooled over the map afghan! The pillows made from the leftovers are wonderful too. Do you recall what brand yarn the pattern calls for? Sometimes Vogue uses the most expensive yarn possible! As I recall, I also have the issue with the sweater, the sweater was made of Peace Fleece. I think that is still available.

PatC
Go to Top of Page

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  4:50:50 PM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
PatC: It's Tahki Donegal Tweed, which happens to be 20% off at my LYS. (Of course, it could be 100% off and I'd still never want to start a project as complicated as that afghan!)

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  06:54:23 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Our you guys talking about the pattern on pg.15 of the Knit Picks Fall Catalog? I figure that would be a life time commitment. I often wonder if people really knit these kinds of things and how long it takes and how does someone actually get a picture in their mind and make it come to pass. Talk about envy. Thank god for people like them so people like me have somthing to look at, dream about, and in some instances try. Has anyone seen the pattern up close and personal? Katie it might be interesting to buy a background yarn and then use your stash for the the rest and even put different kinds of yarn in to make the areas pop or would that make it too busy? The sweater of the world seems to pop up now and then on this site, I have never seen it though. That might be fun to try. Alissa do you have the sweater pattern or a picture of the sweater, I would love to see it. Bye for now

ZOLA
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  10:03:57 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Wel'l, I emailed the webmaster at VK to have an electronic file of the pattern and requirements sent, so we'll see how long it takes to get it.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  5:37:23 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
AJ,

I emailed them a few days ago and have yet to have a response. Let me know if you have any luck getting the pattern!

Katie

Go to Top of Page

conniec
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  3:02:02 PM  Show Profile Send conniec a Private Message
Hi --

I emailed them for the pattern three weeks ago. I saw it on the newstands and loved the look of it. I was thinking of knitting it for my boyfriend's mother. But I haven't received the electronic pattern yet... I'd like to know if any of you get yours.

-Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristajo
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
436 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  05:24:38 AM  Show Profile Send kristajo a Private Message
I am still waiting for a response to my email, too. <sigh> I downloaded it from the Vogue Knitting web site, but the link doesn't seem to exist anymore. The files are still there, though:
http://www.vogueknitting.com/corrections/vogknit/f02/

The first one is the instructions, and the second two are the charts.

I'm interested in making it, but it would definitely be a long-term project. Can anyone estimate about how long it might take? I haven't knit an afghan before, let alone a complicated charted one like this.

Also - yarn suggestions for the cheapest possible yarn to make it out of ;) I'm an instant gratification kinda girl and I don't want to spend $$$ now on a project I might not finish for years.

And one more thing.... I don't like the pointy tasseled bits at the edges. If I made it, I'd want it to be a plain rectangle. What would be the best way to keep the edges flat? A garter or seed-stitch border?

Krista Jo

Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  12:17:58 PM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Thanks for the link. I just finished downloading the pattern and instructions from it. Since no one seems to be getting answers to their emails to VK, I won't wait anymore.

By the way, when I make it, it will be with scrap yarns for the land, and will only buy new yarn for the water.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

conniec
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  1:00:56 PM  Show Profile Send conniec a Private Message
Hi Krista --
Thanks so much for the link! Now I don't have to wait anymore for the email. I have a feeling it probably won't be sent until much later!

I also would like to know of a cheap subsititute yarn. If I use the yarn the patterns suggests, I'll be looking at a $200 investment for something I'm not even sure will look good -- I'm a novice (even below novice!) intarsia knitter.

Go to Top of Page

marytelg@att.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  5:56:23 PM  Show Profile Send marytelg@att.net a Private Message
I never received a response from my e-mail either regarding the Map of the World Afghan. Getting it off the site I was unable to read it as the print was so small-also I could only get the first set of charts and not the second. I finally gave in and sent for it and received it today. So much for Vogue e-mail connection.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  8:31:20 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Katie: It seems to me that I ordered the world sweater kit and never got around to knitting it. I know I didn't knit it and due to the fact that I am a real pack rat that kit is here, some place. How many years ago that was I couldn't say but this I can tell you it has been a few moons--quite a few moons. If I find this I shall let you know but if its in that closet only God knows when and/or if I ever find it.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  8:36:45 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Knitters: I have an idea--in the past I have found that something as mundane as the telephone works very well with Vogue. I think I shall give them a little call and order the pattern. If that works, we are in business. We can all call and order the pattern and look at it to be sure that you want to make it. If I remember correctly the reason the sweater was never made was I was working a minimum of 9 hours a day and wanted to come home and knit to relax not get into a challenging project. I already had that at work. Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  9:06:11 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi Knitters: Its a no brainer. Here is what you do quoted directly from the latest Vogue Knitting magazine:

"To receive the complete instructions, charts and how-tos for the afghan and pillows, send a self-addressed stamped envelope with $1.00 postage and handling to:

Map of the World Afghan
Vogue Knitting Magazine
233 Spring Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10013.

If you prefer you can e-mail webmaster@vogueknitting.com and request an electronic file of the instructions and charts."

Might I suggest you spring a buck.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  9:32:30 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I've found a pattern in an old, old, old, McCall's Needlework and Crafts magazine of a sweater with a map of the world on it that also has pictures of Columbus' three ships and route in the Atlantic ocean. Is this similar or different from the one you are discussing?

Fran

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  10:01:00 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Fran: That isn't it. I, however, would love that with Columbus' ships. I will pay the postage and copying cost. Will I make it? Who knows? Now back to the matter at hand. The World Map afghan/shawl looks wonderful. I am going to send for the pattern as I have already, years ago put out about $80 for the sweater kit that hans't yet been made. Another thing about Vogue--I have had them send me things through the computer--probably E-mail and they leave something to be desired. That's why I am going to spring a buck and send for the pattern. I find that cheap at half the price. Bev

Bev
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.