Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 self fringing shawl
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donnamac
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  8:26:03 PM  Show Profile Send donnamac a Private Message
I just finished a beautiful angora/silk "self fringing shawl". I'm down to my last few stitches and I don't understand how the fringe actually works. I'm scared to just start unraveling- won't the whole thing go? Has anyone ever done this that could explain it. The directions say to knit first stitch, cut, and pull yarn through stitch. then unravel the rest???????

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  05:16:28 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message
You are not alone, I don't understand the self fringing thingy either

But we know others do and they will tell

shaggy

Every day a peddler pulled his cart of wool from his home to the village market. It was a long trip. He had to travel around the perimeter of a large lake that was owned by the town tycoon, a modernday scrooge. One day during the winter the lake froze over. The peddler realized that he could cut off 2 miles from his trip if he crossed over the lake. He was spotted halfway across the lake by the tycoon. Scrooge came racing out of his mansion and screamed at the peddler, "Iíll be danged if I let anyone pull the wool over my ice!"
Go to Top of Page

angelcooper@hotmail.com
Gabber Extraordinaire

541 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  06:12:30 AM  Show Profile Send angelcooper@hotmail.com a Private Message
I have a shawl that I was doing that was called a self fringing shawl - I didnt understand the concept either and did my fringe another way. However, they did a self fringing sweater on Knitty gritty and it really does work. As Edie Eckman told me recently when I asked why an afghan had short rows in it, just follow the directions and it will be fine. Trust your pattern.

Angel
Gaining more stash each week!

My new blog - http://vaknittingangel.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  06:47:45 AM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Hi, I've done the saxon braid; it's self fringing. I don't have it with me at the moment, but I did what the instructions said. It worked for me. I think, I knitted (tbl) through the back loop & for some reason that holds it in place.
I don't know what your pattern is. Angel is probably right in 'trust your pattern'.
Give us some more info

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
I've never done a self fringe, but I have seen pictures of it in a book. Anything that you don't understand that says "cut" sounds pretty nerve wracking and potentially disasterous to me. I think it would be a good idea to knit a little test swatch first to see what happens when you "cut and unravel". Better than ruining a nearly finished project!

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

javaknit
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  10:02:57 AM  Show Profile Send javaknit a Private Message
I tried the self-fringing thing, from one of the "Knitting on the Edge" patterns. It seems to have worked reasonably well, but I may still tie knots in the fringe, as I am sure I could unravel more of the knitting without trying very hard. It looks pretty darn cool, though! If you're still unsure, maybe swatch it & see what you think before you take the scissors to something you've invested a lot of time & money in.
Rachel

I did know something I didn't. But it wasn't that.
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
I did a self fringing shawl and it worked great. I think the "cut" is for when you get to the last stitch you are working and pull the yarn through that stitch. Like you do when you finish binding off. It should leave you with some stitches not worked or bound off. Those are the stitches you unravel and it leaves you with looped fringe.

At least that is how the one I did worked.

Cayli in San Diego

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
738 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  4:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message
Does the self fringing shawl have 5 stitches worked on the other side of the knitting increase and decrease of the shawl? If so - I made this shawl, and I was a little scared also. But it turned out great- If you want me to walk you through it- PM me with your phone # and I will call you. After you bind off the last couple of stitches on the other side of the increase/decrease- just start to pull the end of the 5 stitches. You will get large loops. after I pulled out the loops- I actually cut them and knotted them at the top near the shawl// I have also seen the loops left as is. but I would still knot at the top near the main part of the shawl.. Don't worry- It will make sense once you get started.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  06:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I've made 10 "self fringing shawls". After the first following the pattern I added garter ridges to the straight edge so that it doesn't roll. I also learned I like the shape of the shawl with our with out fringe!

To practice the "fringe" try this swatch....cast on 15 stitches. knit for about 4 inches. bind off 4 stitches, tie off and cut yarn to the ball (like you would do if you end any other project). You will have 11 stitches left on your needle. Slide out the needle. pull on the first stitch and it should unravel back to the bind off stitch. do this down the piece. you will end up with loops. that's the fringe. you can knot it (I ususally do so that it doesn't slide around) or cut it and knot it. the more stitches the longer the fringe will be

Linda in VA

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

donnamac
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  8:16:42 PM  Show Profile Send donnamac a Private Message
I did it!!! Thank you so much- especially cindy and linda! Once I got the idea that the fringe was actually individual loops, it made so much more sense. I used an angora silk combo that I bought at Stitches Midwest in St. Charles. I love the texture and feel although it did tangle a bit on the unfringing.
You said you had done 10 of these shawls Linda. Do you have a favorite yarn to use. I think I'll try another one.
Again, thanks for your advice and encouragement everyone. I couldn't have finished without you!
Go to Top of Page

Dagny
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  05:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dagny's Homepage Send Dagny a Private Message
Anyone have an online pattern so I can see what the directions look like?

Dagny in Maine

yarn blog
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
738 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  06:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message
Linda- that's a great idea about the garter stitch- as for a favorite yarn - I used a ribbon yarn the first time and I love it- the fringe is great! - Dagny- when I get home I will try to remember to look up the pattern name and designer.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  06:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I finished up my 12th last night....Crystal Palace "Beatrice" in the pastel colorway. It's a bulky/heavy worsted merino. I used 10 skeins (appx 63 yds each) and size 11 needles. Reminds me of a Monet painting. Very warm shawl.

Another favorite (that I actually fringed) was with Mexican Wave (acrylic). We had 5 skeins of assorted colors at the store. I used 4 of them for a really interesting shawl.

A dk weight yarn (I did 5 of these, some for gifts) was with Sirdar Donegal Tweed. Wool blend. I used size 13 needles for this yarn and it made it light weight but not holey.

I changed the stitch pattern from stst to moss/seed stitch on one I did in Manos. I had to fudge the pattern here and there. Turned out a very pretty texture.

I have on a smaller version today. I used Trendsetters "Spiral" a ribbon like yarn that has a black thread wrapped around it. It's more of an accessory than for warmth.

As for the pattern (this is the one I teach)

cast on 11 stitches
knit several rows garter stitch
row 1: knit 5, pm, increase in 1 stitch, pm, knit 5
row 2: knit 5, slip marker, purl to marker, slip marker, knit 5
row 3: knit 5, knit to 1 stitch before second marker, increase in this stitch, knit 5
row 4: knit 5, purl to marker, knit 5

repeat rows 3 and 4 until shawl is 1/2 as wide as you want it across across your back. Begn decrease.

row 1: knit 5, knit to 2 stitches before second marker decrease 1 stitch, knit 5
row 2: knit 5, purl across to maker, knit 5

continue with decrease rows 1 & 2 until you have 11 stitches on needle. repeat garter stitch rows.

For fringe:
Bind off 6 stitches. You should have the 5 stitches remaining that were after the second marker. These will be your fringe. Unravel.

If you do not want fringe, bind off all stitches.

Please feel free to change the number of garter stitches depending onthe yarn you choose or if you want longer fringe. I suggest to my students that they swatch the yarn and determine how long they want the fringe.

If you want pointy-er ties begin with fewer stitches.

The first one I did I wasn't sure how much yarn it would take and I had 4 skeins (132 yds each) so I increased until I finished my second skein and then decreased with the last 2 skeins.

The last few I did I didn't want a "v" shape so I increased for a while then stopped increasing until it was wide enough to look nice across my back, then began the decrease.

The ones done in acrylic the edges still roll but not as bad if you don't do the garter edging.
The ones with wool/wool blend I've been able to block out the roll.

Okay, I think that's it. Have fun with it.

Oh and play with a long regtangle scarf with fring on both sides. Knit every row and when you cast off just cast off the middle stithces and leave the same amount on each side to pull into fringe.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dagny
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  07:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dagny's Homepage Send Dagny a Private Message
Ooooo, Mexican Wave yarn! This stuff is great, super soft and washable, I made a Falling Leaves shawl out of it and the green/rust/brown shading showed up so well :)

Dagny in Maine

yarn blog
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
738 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  09:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message
LJ- thanks for the variation in the pattern- I copied and pasted it to my pattern folder

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  08:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
My favorite yarn for the self fringing shawl is Soy Silk Phoenix!!

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

A turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking her neck out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe