Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 WIPs and having a baby
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rebs
New Pal

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  01:31:37 AM  Show Profile Send Rebs a Private Message
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to the forums. I read all the messages and ask a few technical questions
BUT now I have a real dilemma..... I have several WIPs and 2 of them are tanks for me (Rowan summer tweed and Jaegar Albany)most of the tweed front is finished, but the Albany's very slow. The dilemma is I am PREGNANT (3months - first scan tomorrow!) and these will not fit me when I finish them and they are summer tanks (english weather is not fantastic!) So do I rip, or do I give to my sister (same size) and mum (one each).
Lots of !!!! as I am very excited (first baby!)
Will hopefully get to NY before I am to big to increase my stash DH is very understanding on this point (?)

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  02:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Congratulations! Seems like you have three choices - rip, give as gifts, or just finish them and put them away until they fit again next summer.

Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  05:09:54 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I vote for giving them to your sister and mother. They will be so shocked you found the time to knit gifts for them while you're expecting your first child, and you may not have time to knit for them again for a long while.

Good luck with the pregnancy! Are you going to find out the baby's gender?
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  01:07:02 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Hello Rebs.I am so jealous.I loved being pregnant and knitting all those lovely little baby clothes.Now my two are 18 and 20 but it just seems like yesterday when they were babies.Congratulations and happy knitting.If you really want to give away your WIP's then that is a lovely thing to do but if you're not sure I'd suggest just putting them aside in the meantime as you won't be pregnant forever and it would give you something nice to look forward to wearing after the baby is born.You do tend to get a bit tired of maternity clothes by the end of your time.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  06:18:34 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Greetings! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I have two children and can tell you that you will lose any added weight by nursing, getting up at nights, and chasing toddlers around.

I would put away the tank tops for now and begin to knit little jumpers and booties for the baby. Just think: A whole new world for you to explore in knitting! The best yarn for baby is washable and not too fuzzy.

You will be able to finish your stuff when the baby naps.

Rebecca
Go to Top of Page

Rebs
New Pal

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  03:04:05 AM  Show Profile Send Rebs a Private Message
Thanks for the advise everyone. I've decided to finish one tank for my sister (or mum) and keep the other one for after the baby's born, and I'm hopefully back to shape. It doesn't get too hot in the UK until about July, so I've got some time (I hope). Baby's due February.
At the moment I'm trying to find unisex colours,other than yellow. I've bought some Debbie Bliss in a rich red colour. The hospital doesn't tell you the sex of the baby, and it's so little we couldn't tell at the first scan
But I have to get on with Xmas gifts first!

Becca

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  06:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, Becca, that's great that you are having your fist baby! Mine are 23,21,15 and 11. I agree that it seems like only yesterday that they were babies. I think you have made a wise choice to keep one top for yourself. You will lose a lot of the weight and will enjoy something you made for yourself. I know you will love making something for the baby, too. We knew our last 2 were a boy and then a girl. I made blue things for the boy, 'cause everything we had was blue and yellow!! Of course, the girl got a pink room, pink sheets and pink clothes, etc. Not that we were all excited or anything! She is almost 12 and wants her room in this house light pink with darker pink trim. Has pink curtains already. The former owners painted over the pink paint thinking someone might not want it. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  10:56:13 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hi Becca,

Congratulations on the new baby!

I always prefered a mint green color scheme for babies. It was so easy to add pastels to it after the baby was born. I would make a baby pattern and then when the sex of the baby was born, trim it with simple embroidery, like lazy daisy flowers for girls in pastels and hugs and kisses (X and O) for boys.

When it was time to do things for my grandchildren, my daughters preferred crayon colors from the basic 8 box of crayons, so that was pretty simple and they received blankets in red and white, royal blue and white, and green and white. Be sure to check that your yarn is colorfast before using these deep colors.

I always made all baby things in washable yarn. The third time in two days that your baby spits up on a wool blanket, you will know why.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  2:54:25 PM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
I've been knitting for the baby my SIL is expecting in October and my favorite color so far has been lime green. I started using it combined with different blues even before I knew it was going to be a boy. I don't really like this whole business of assigning particular colors to boys or girls, so I would just go with colors you like working with. Cream and white are good too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe