Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Pet damage to your supplies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  09:38:44 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi everyone,
Have any of you sustained damage to your knitting supplies because a pet decided it was a new chew toy? My new dog, Sadie, decided to "taste" the dpn's I had in a basket on the end table yesterday. She pretty much destroyed all 4 of them (Bryspun Flexibles)...at least the sock was OK. It's a good thing she left the sock alone because Mountain Colors yarn isn't cheap! I also remember one Christmas I crocheted and wrapped all of my presents a little early (a miracle in itself). I placed them under the tree about a week before Christmas only to find our new kitten peed all over them. What a mess! Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Just curious...have a great weekend.

Wendy

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  10:30:41 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Are you kidding? I have had cats pee on anything left out but have been very careful to keep the knitting needles away from the dog. They're just like little kids, everything goes into the mouth!

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
When the dog was a puppy the cats would GIVE him my dpns so he'd chew them and get into trouble. I cannot leave anything out, I have three cats and a Yorkie and it's like a houseful of raccoons - you'd think middle aged cats would settle down and get boring, but this crew is always into something!

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  3:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I once owned a whole set of balene circular needles--sizes 3 through 10.5......then we got a puppy and he ATE them. He did not chew them.. he ATE them... every bit....all I had left was the cables. It turns out that balene was made with a milk base and where I saw knitting utensils, he saw food!

Hmmmmmm......I wonder what Bryspun are made of and if pets like it?

Frn

Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  3:45:50 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
you'd think middle aged cats would settle down and get boring, but this crew is always into something!

[/quote]

LOL--I totally understand the middle-aged cat thing, I have one myself. Luckily the worst he has ever done is bat and bite at my needles while I was working. I solved the problem by switching over to circ's for almost everything.

I do have a question though. I had read somewhere, not sure if it was in a cat book or a knitting book, that kittens love to "suckle" wool. I don't recall what the exact attraction was, but for some reason kittens who may have been weaned too soon tend to find some piece of pure wool and suck on it for comfort. Has anyone ever seen that behaviour first hand? I thought if it was true, and not harmful to the kitty's, maybe little knit balls or something in pure wool would be nice for my local animal shelter.

Just wondering.

Kim

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  08:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
My mature and well behaved cat Misha only plays with my knitting when it's just too temptingly waving in front of her - usually when I get up a good clip in pace of my own. She prefers to snuggle or to have her own toys.

My insane forever-kitten Trevor will steal a whole ball of wool and run off with it if I'm not careful. I suspect he thinks he's bagged the whole sheep.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Hee hee, my kitties used to suckle on our yarn when my sister and I were growing up (and first learning to knit)! I don't like to think it's because they were weaned too soon, since we got them from a very nice, responsible family-- I think it's because they were both (lovable, but) crazy. Charlotte used to suck on the yellow baby blanket my grandmother made me, and Sally would eat huge lengths of yarn. I think she would just start sucking on them, but we would end up pulling 2 feet lengths of wet yarn out of her mouth-- gross! Both the baby blanket and the yarn we were using then were acrylic, though, so I can't prove the wool theory.

Katie

Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  12:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
quote:

Charlotte used to suck on the yellow baby blanket my grandmother made me, and Sally would eat huge lengths of yarn.

Okay, I have to jump in here because I have NEVER met anyone else who had a cat named Charlotte! My beloved first-kitty-ever was a Charlotte. She was a birthday present when I turned eight. I was reading all the E.B. White books then, and that's how she got her name. My big choice to make was: Charlotte or Margalo? ;-)

Charlotte was never that interested in needles, but boy did she love yarn (and Christmas ribbon.) The needle-eater was my ex-roommate's %$#@&! cat. He had an insatiable appetite for Crystal Palace needles, but would ignore the Clovers completely. Interesting, huh? It's as though he could tell which ones were more expensive.

--Beth ;-)
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  1:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Bryspuns are made of cassein...a milk product. When I was attempting to use them...never quite got to liking them and gave them away...I kept smelling something that smelled like a glass of milk had been left somewhere...not sour, but stale. That, coupled with the icky feel of them, made me go sour on them very quickly. Bleah.

chris (she of the *very* sensitive nose)

quote:

I once owned a whole set of balene circular needles--sizes 3 through 10.5......then we got a puppy and he ATE them. He did not chew them.. he ATE them... every bit....all I had left was the cables. It turns out that balene was made with a milk base and where I saw knitting utensils, he saw food!

Hmmmmmm......I wonder what Bryspun are made of and if pets like it?

Frn

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  2:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I have heard that cats can get yarn caught down in their throat and choke to death on it. Ever since then, if I see any of my 3 cats with yarn, I always take it right off of them.

Maggie is our middle aged cat and she positively couldn't care less about yarn, needles, or anything else for that matter.

Trixie is the one year old sister of Bunny who is our only male cat. Bunny was born without a tail (?) and is the sweetest little boy ever, I swear. He has one particularly addictive yarn that he absolutely LOVES and that is Philosophers wool. The minute I bring out my fair isle sweater to start knitting, he is right there trying desperately to run off with a ball of it in his mouth.

Warmest Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

knitaly
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  5:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitaly's Homepage Send knitaly a Private Message
Well, Pallino is almost ten, so I guess he qualifies as middle aged. He will go to great lengths to sleep on my knitting, spinning, etc. He just curls up into my knitting as if there is no other soft spot in the house.
But what really drives me crazy is when he chews on my needles. I use wooden needles and he has ruined a few pairs of Brittany walnuts (which of course are no longer in production) in the sizes I use the most. grrrrr
But what are you gonna do? I wouldn't change him for the world.

Francesca
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  7:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I have had my share of chewed needles and yarn salad from the pets. I can get over either. The thing that REALLY burns me up is when they get mad at me and pee on my knitting bag! Let me come home from work and be too tired for walkies... whiZzO! The bag is soaked. Now I have gotten smart. If I am too tired for walkies, I make sure I put my knitting bag up HIGH!

I also learned to not store my yarn or books in plastic grocery store bags. There is something about them that the cats just love to pee on them! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

With three dogs and four cats, you just don't leave things on the floor around here that you value!

We won't discuss what those human animals (aka CHILDREN) can do to yarn and projects... argh!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

YarnAddict
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  2:57:47 PM  Show Profile Send YarnAddict a Private Message
My ex-housemate's nutty puppy once ate my drop spindle. I came home and all that was left was a few splinters. One day she also got into my stash and of course made a complete mess of it. I managed to salvage a good bit of yarn, but a lot of it was also completely useless. She also ate two pairs of my sandals. Fortunately she never ate any of my WIP's or I think I might have killed her. The really funny thing was, if my housemate left anything out, she wouldn't touch it. Not for weeks. If I left anything out, even for an hour, it was licked, chewed, and usually mangled beyond use or recognition. Needless to say, I got pretty careful, but that didn't stop her from breaking into my room one day and chewing a very expensive physics textbook! They never would buy that one back at the bookstore....

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

heidigrace
Chatty Knitter

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  10:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit heidigrace's Homepage Send heidigrace a Private Message
My cat doesn't chew needles, but she will try to suck on my swallow casines if I leave them out. It leaves little dents in the needle from where the casine disolved. She also licks plastic bags. Goes after them with a vengeance even. The yarn in the bag is of very little interest, it's the bag itself she wants. If I am not careful about where I leave the bags with yarn fresh from the shop, I will come home to find yarn balls everywhere, and the cat gleefully licking away at the bag. She's very tenacious about getting at the bags too. It amazes me the places she can get to if there is a plastic bag there. She also sometimes chews on wool I am knitting with, so every now and then I will get a slobbery bit of yarn.

The cats we had when I was a kid (who both live with mom and dad now) used to steal my yarn balls and prance around all proud of themselves with the ball in their mouths.

Gotta love pets.

Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
I have to say, as far as my knitting goes, my cat Lily is the most well-behaved cat I know. She doesn't try to eat any of my needles, she doesn't play with yarn, or tear up my work. Recently I have been knitting beaded cuffs and she is interested in the beads that have been strung on the yarn, but mostly she just looks.

I have a friend whose cat Rowan (named after the Anne McCafferty novel, not the tree or the yarn) is a total yarn menace. She will eat it and if I our knitting group is at her house, everyone must hide their yarn or she will eat it.

I do have a question about my cat that is not about knitting. We have a small christmas tree that has fiber-optics sticking out and the lights change colors (it is my husband's tree). Well, my usually sweet,gentle Lily, has been after these fiber optics since we put the tree up (two days ago). The last two mornings I have woken up to the sound of her licking the fiber optics (the tree is in our bedroom). Does anyone know why she is so interested? Is there a connection between these fiber optics and casein knitting needles?

Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  10:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I imagine it's the plastic casing on fiber optics. You'd want to discourage this only if there's electricity going through them, or if it particularly irritates you, but the plastic won't actually hurt the cat.

I was told by a vet that there's some chemical in plastic that some cats - she compared it to the people who like the taste of paper in that not all of them enjoy it, but it's not really uncommon either. Good thing she told me this, because both of mine do - dare I leave a plastic bag from the grocery store on the ground, they're both on top of it, licking away. And Misha loves plastic, but is also allergic to it - she gets little blackheads and pimples along her lips from licking it (not marring her beauty in any way, but a bit disconcerting nonetheless.)

I would call the vet to be sure there's nothing in the fiber optics that can bother the cat, but it's probably just a plastic thing.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Karen F
Sustaining Member

248 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  1:55:31 PM  Show Profile Send Karen F a Private Message
I too have a wonderful cat named Charlotte and a Chihuahua
named Duke. Charlotte has no interest in my knitting at all but Duke is very curious. He settles in on my lap- under my knitting and sleeps as I knit while Charlotte sleeps at my feet. That is heavenly!

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  2:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I have a cat, Koshka, that will suckle on anything. He generally goes for pillows but a sweater (made of anything as long as it smells like me) will work in a pinch for him. So, I don't think it's a pure wool thing. Another one of my monsters, George, loves to chew on the cables of my circular needles. I have tried to smooth out the tooth marks but it is not easy. (Clear nail polish helps if the bite is not too deep.) My third feline friend, Nekko, just likes to attack my yarn as I am knitting with it. If she catches it, she tries to run away with it in her mouth, nevermind that it is attached to the needles in my hands.

Aren't they cute!?!?

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  3:57:39 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Soon after we adopted Petey, the first of our two adorable, formerly abused mutts, he grew very attached to me. I was knitting a sweater for my husband and during the day when I was at work Petey would go into my knitting bag, pull out the unattached sleeves, back and front and make himself a little next to sleep on. I don't think I ever got all the white hairs out that are imbedded in that sweater, but we love it just the same.

Patti
Go to Top of Page

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  7:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
Back when I lived with 5 cats, I had two particularly mischevious boy cats. Who liked to make yarn sculptures. They would run up and down our Chicago apartment (with a big open floor plan), winding yarn around anything they could find, back and forth across all 1200 square feet. They'd find yarn buried under blankets, sneak into closets to get at it, grab balls out of my lap, the whole 9 yards. They were both from a long line of hungry street cats, so had very sharp hunting skills. They now live in Alabama, where they continue to hunt anything that might look like it might move, and probably miss my yarn. :)

My two darling girl cats are much better behaved. They'll bat aaround a ball of yarn if one ends up on the floor, but they don't seek it out. I can safely leave my knitting on the couch.

Which is a good thing - I have something like 1200 yards of Crystal Palace tussah silk that I still haven't managed to get unwound, 2 years later.

(See my babies at http://www.houseofcritters.org/catpics, or at http://www.houseofcritters.org .)

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
We have 2 cats, Isabelle(3) and Cricket(2) and a dog Arrow(6). The dog's only interest in knitting is in trying to knowck it out of my hands to free them for patting him!

Cricket has chewed through several needles, mostly wooden . . . and wrapped a few skeins of yarn around every piece of furniture in the house. Isabelle isn't interested in the needles, but she absolutely loves wool! The "sheepier" the better (now that I'm spinning I have to be very careful with Raw wool in the house!) The problem is (according to my vet) cats can not only choke on it, but it can bind up in their intestines and kill them!

I now store my stash in plastic tubs under the bed (with tight fitting lids) and my wips are in a great basket from Christmas tree shops. Its shaped like a backpack and has a wooden lid that can be "buttoned" shut.

The best one yet was that we used to have a squirrel (very long story) anyway we raised him one summer and as he got older he used to run around the house . . . be gave him nuts with the shells on and he would hide them all over the place . . .in plants . . . and in my basket of yarn! Actually it was quite cute. He would jump into the basket, "dig" a little of the yarn out of the way, place the nut in and replace the yarn, then take both paws and "smooth" it out so it looked like it hadn't been moved! Well, he's nolonger with us, but I still have a couple of nuts in the bottom of my knitting basket, right where he left them

Martheme of Sheep Hearth of Golden Leaf Camp
visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by