Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 handwashing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  07:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I clicked on the answer If the yarn calls for it, I'm happy to wash by hand. but only because of the word happy. That's the operative one for me.

I LOVE to handwash my knits, especially the woollens. I like the smell. I like to fondle the fabric as it folds over my fingers. I like to gently press the water out. And when I take it from my very slow spin cycle on the washingmachine where I've turned off the main gate valve - so no unwanted showers sprinkle down on my babies - I simply adore sculpting my sweaters back into shape.

I like to wash my sweaters even if they aren't really very dirty, just to play with them.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  07:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
If I ever get my farmhouse - or even just something bigger than we've got now, I'm sure I'll enjoy it more. I do like the process, but right now we've got the kitchen sink and a small bathroom sink, and it tends to splash a lot... But I like how the texture changes when it's wet, and how the color changes, and the squishiness of the whole process (don't forget, I squish yarn from sales rack to finished item - I'm a big squisher...)

It's been all of 27 seconds, so I've already forgotten which answer I clicked, but I don't dislike handwashing at all... it's the slow drying process that frustrates me... it's clean, I want it done now!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  08:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi Ladies,

I love washing my hand knits as well. I've been using Orvus paste for washing raw wool and finished garmets but I may have to give Eucalan a try, since the Queen Bee has decreed it the wash to use! Actually, I think I have a bottle under the sink . . .

The only issue I have with washing is that at the moment, until the barn is done, I have very little space to dry anything. Once that gets cleared up I'll be even more enthusiastic about doing it myself.

Call me nuts, but I love any and all aspects of workikng with fiber and the fall weather is making me even more enthusiastic about it!

Martheme

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  5:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
RosyByAny, I feel a kinship w/you over the "too little space" issue - we have a basement & it still seems that there is too little proper space for items that I wash. Just writing this makes me realize I have more space - sorry for the complaint.
Martheme, I recently bought Euculan & am looking forward to using it this winter. And dear heart, who would on this Forum (or anywhere, I think) would call you nuts for feeling the upswing in knitting & spinning activity due to the fall weather? Fall is my favorite season of the year.
Martha
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  04:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I like to handwash my woollens, can't go past Country Homestead here as it is cheap compared to what you pay in the US. I have a Maytag machine so I can't machine wash anything and I'm too scared to even spin them so I roll them in a towel to get the excess water out.

Wen

2004 stats: 20 FO, 7 WIP, 27 wool purchased, 4 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  05:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I'm so glad to hear from other handwashaholics! I've been an avid handwasher ever since I was a wee kid - you name it, I toss it in the sink to wash. The early training was helped by an enormous laundry pile in my house. If I put clothes in the pile, who knew if or when I'd see it again? So I just started washing things by hand. Ditto in college, in a teensy weensy dorm room sink (Amie, you have my sympathy) much to the bemusement of my college-mates. And I perfected the art in France, helped by the fact that my apartment's washing machine was the size of a colander.

Not that I'm regularly found pounding clothes on a rock by a river, I actually do own and use a washing machine... I just love to handwash whenever possible. The soaps smell so wonderful, the fabrics and fibers feel so good, and it seems like I'm getting things cleaner than if they had to slosh around in a big messy machine. It's crazy, I'm sure, but there you have it.

And for the space-impaired, just be patient - your large sink (and/or farmhouse) will come.

Because of the review, you now know how fond I am of Eucalan. But do you have other favorites I should test?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  07:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I love the smell of the lavendar Eucalan, I sniff my yarn, especially the silk ones but I sniff clean laundry too. My only sadness is where to put the wet ones to dry out while laying flat. I still haven't come up with a great system. I have a foldable plastic drying rack but it can leave lines in the sweater. Sometimes I hang them up on really big plastic shoulder sized hangers but then my sweaters grow. Any suggestions?

Clara I'd be interested in a seeing road test of other methods, please add some shampoo to the mix and let us know how it stacks up.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  07:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
My handwashes this week were done in the evening, and put in the bathtub on a drying rack. By morning, they were done dripping enough to move. Of course, there isn't room to just put them someplace until they were dry, so they ended up being moved several times while we danced around them, but it worked....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  08:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
IT's good to know that there are so many others who enjoy taking good care of their special garments! I hate doing the regular laudry, but I LOVE to handwash!

I have a big laundry utility sink, but find that I usually use the kitchen or bathrooom sink instead. That utility sink is so big it scares me! (Plus there's usually a plant in it.)

Kristin

PS. I have done laundry on a washboard in a bucket on the backporch of the historic site I used to work at. It's a lot of work, and something I don't recommend, but it was good to learn. Plus, the site of all of those dishtowels, dresses, aprons, etc. on the line on a sunny afternoon just made me feel good.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  10:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I too wash many things by hand, and even the ones I do by machine are usually done in cold water and hung to dry. I really, really want one of those fancy, expensive dryers that have the drying cabinet above them - it would make my fiber life complete! Now, how to justify the $1200 expense to myself? (not to DH, I have my own job and credit cards!)

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  12:00:52 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
OK, all you handwashers: I usually have a small mountain of to-be-handwashed stuff that I dread facing. (It's near the ironing pile.) So if any of you are ever in the neighborhood and feel like you absolutely have to have a handwashing fix, come on by!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  8:33:24 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I don't mind hand washing, after all ti sin't much tougher than washing hands or taking a bath!My problem is I have nowhere to dry it. We're in an apartment and line drying is verboten. I can't dry anything in the bathrooms because we have now indows, and nothing dries. I'm pretty much stuck with taking it to the laundromat, where the machines have adjustable setting and are front loaders, unlike here.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  05:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Yes Shelia! I want one of those too. A drying chamber. Oooo. I also keep planning on buying those stackable sweater racks that are made of mesh and about the size of a sweater. I don't have a cramped space but I don't have the ideal one either.

I dry my sweaters now on large towels, spread either on the bathroom floor (when the weather is horrible) where I shriek at anyone who goes to use the bathroom for anything else to "watch out for my sweater!!". When the weather is good I take the same large towels out to the clothes line, spread it across all four lines, secure it tightly with clothes pins and then spread my sweaters out that way. The line is in shade and the air circulates through the terrycloth. Ooooo fresh clean sweaters washed in lavender euclan and dried outdoors. Ahhh utter satisfaction.

Bess
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  07:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I've always had a question about those stacked racks - doesn't the water from the top sweater drip onto the next one, etc.?

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  08:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Lissa - the really fancy stacked racks come with your own private butler who stands with a cloth and catches all the drips. Or maybe that's only a feature in the dryer Shelia and Bess are talking about? ...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Yes, Lissa, they do. When I'm doing a load of laundry on them, it's usually "unmentionables" and I don't care if they've got creases, so I can hand them in ways that nothing is below them.

For larger items like sweaters I usually only wash one or two at a time (remember, I don't have sink space, either!) so they can be spread across the top with nothing underneath...

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  09:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Well, I spin dry my sweaters before I lay them out so there's very little dripping. It's mostly evaporation. But if I had one, I'd put the sweater I wanted to wear first on top.

Bess
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  09:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
By the way, Ken and I saw one of those hanging drying machine thingys last night. He insisted we try "Expo" (the way upscale if-its-less-than-a-grand-we-don't-sell-it sister store to Home Depot) for Shelve dividers. Pulling into the parking lot in my Echo surrounded by a Porche, and a Lexus SUV should have clued us in further, but noooo...

But I do want one of those dryers. "Covet" I think is a better word...

Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  01:22:10 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I deliberatly bought a washing maching without an agitator so that I didn't have to hand wash, and will only do it if absolutely necessary.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 19 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog, 1 on hold

Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Tam, what sort of washing mahne is it? Is it a front loader?

celia

View my completed items here
http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/celiang/
and my blog here
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Soxy
Gabber Extraordinaire

New Zealand
389 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  8:21:57 PM  Show Profile Send Soxy a Private Message
Sounds like a front loader. That is the machine used mostly in South Africa. I was very surprised when I arrived here in NZ to find top loaders!!!! To us that is very old fashioned!!!!! LOL!!! The front loaders are much softer on the clothes though and I never hand wash anything.....I stuff all woolies and other delicates in those mesh bags plus soap for woolies , delicate cycle and so far no problems.......but my mother will have a fit.....I was raised on handwashing and drip drying...therefore little or no ironing!!!!! By the description of these drying chamber driers, I would like one to...... stamp stamp foot!!! :-)) Havent seen them around yet. Perhaps good thing eh? I mean for DH c/card!! Meanwhile the hotwater cupboard works just as well!!!

Sock Addict
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.