Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk - Frieda ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
Hi! Just wondering if anyone is going to do this sweater???

http://www.royalyarn.com/ptrn/DBS/DebbieBlissYarnDebbieBliss/images/frieda.jpg

I was thinking about knitting this, and I'm wondering if anyone is doing a kint-along with this pattern?

I know that there is a Laura knit along,

http://digitalyarn.typepad.com/digital_yarn/2004/08/come_on_and_lar.html

but just thought I'd ask if there was a group of "Frieda"'s too??

Thanks!
-meg

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  7:53:28 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Oh, that is pretty. Esp. like the cabling up the sleeves. I hope you can find a knit-a-long. I'd like to see how it goes.
mwyn

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  9:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
Have you seen the yarn yet? Alpaca silk sounds like a great combination. I have used a similar blend by Blue Sky and really liked it.
Go to Top of Page

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
I love the cabling and the yarn is rumored to be great (just from reading about it on blogs) & i might do the sweater with or without a group...just wanted to do a knitalong (for the fun of it). i really like the pattern, but am unsure about the turttle neck portion...

what i would LOVE to find is a pattern that is a cross between this sweater

http://www.royalyarn.com/ptrn/DBS/DebbieBlissYarnDebbieBliss/images/frieda.jpg

and her cable jacket from book 4:

http://www.royalyarn.com/pbks/Debbie_%20Bliss/Book%204/acablecoathood.jpg

I love that jacket, except that it appears to allow for tummy reveal (yikes!) and is on 7's and 8's. The yarn for "Frieda" seems much nicer (and is knit on 10's)

I would love to be a master-knitter and re-guage the cable jacket for
alpaca silk yarn, make it a little longer, and presto! my perfect zip-sweater....
how hard is this to do (just curious)?

thanks!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  5:21:02 PM  Show Profile Send Molly C a Private Message
I am looking forward to using this yarn as well, and love that sweater. I have too many projects in the works right now, but I might put that on the agenda for my January knitting. I have heard nothing but good things about the DB alpaca/silk blend, and I love working with alpaca. I especially like the color the sample is shown in, although I already have a turtleneck sweater in a similar color. I love wearing turtleneck sweaters in winter, so I would make it as is.

If you have both patterns available, you could check to see how many sts take up the cable pattern for each. If they are the same number of sts, I don't see why you couldn't just substitute the Frieda cables on the cardi. Then, add an extra repeat for the added length, and work the cardi in a smaller size to make up for the difference in gauge. The sleeves would be a bit trickier since the cable patterns aren't similar. I'm also not sure about the hood; but since it wouldn't really have to fit, per se, you could kind of wing that part.

Of course, if the cables are different st widths, then you'd have to refigure an awful lot more. . . .

Molly
http://knittingmolly.blogspot.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  6:20:47 PM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
molly-

thanks for your reply....more questions...
what if i did the cable jacket "as is" w/ xra length & the alpaca silk yarn? you are saying that (of course checking guage) but basicly i would just make a smaller size sweater to account for the larger guage, but that i could (in theory) make that sweater w/ the chunkier yarn? do you think the cables would be as defined and is this a good idea?
(i feel myself heading for disaster)...and you are right about the sleeves....i can see those being tricky.
have you ever altered guage on a pattern? are there other "unforseen" problems?
thanks,
meg
Go to Top of Page

PinkFreak
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile Send PinkFreak a Private Message
I am in the middle of doing Frieda and absolutely love it. I got the opportunity to try on Debbie Bliss's sample when she visited my LYS and it is beautiful. Silk Alpaca is incredible and quite a dream to work with...I can't stop fondling my knitted pieces. Just to let you know, Frieda is knit on size 6 (ribbing) & 8 needles also. Right now I've finished the back and half the front. I've found one minor errata on the front while shaping armholes. The 27 last rows should say work in pattern instead of st st.
Go to Top of Page

PinkFreak
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:03:45 AM  Show Profile Send PinkFreak a Private Message
I am in the middle of doing Frieda and absolutely love it. I got the opportunity to try on Debbie Bliss's sample when she visited my LYS and it is beautiful. Silk Alpaca is incredible and quite a dream to work with...I can't stop fondling my knitted pieces. Just to let you know, Frieda is knit on size 6 (ribbing) & 8 needles also. Right now I've finished the back and half the front. I've found one minor errata on the front while shaping armholes. The 27 last rows should say work in pattern instead of st st.
Go to Top of Page

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  3:27:06 PM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
http://www.knithappens.net/index.php/knitone/blog/
ha! pinkfreak i found you!!!
:)
i read kristine's blog on a fairly regular basis....
the sweater looks great!!!!
too bad its on 6's and 8's, but i might do it anyway.
thanks, and im sure ill see a pic when its finished!
:)
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  6:35:23 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
I have some of this yarn, and it is completely scrumptious. Can't wait to see everyone's creations!

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

Linda513
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  06:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Linda513's Homepage Send Linda513 a Private Message
I'm making Maria in the burgundy color and it is to die for! Frieda looka beautiful too, but I just finished a major cabling project and couldn't bear to do another one. Maria doesn't have too many cables.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  05:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message
Linda,
I just ordered some AS to do Maria! I am doing her in the blue, like the book.How is the pattern?? haven't done cables of any sort in oh, gee, ever!
sherry
Go to Top of Page

Linda513
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  06:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Linda513's Homepage Send Linda513 a Private Message
Sherry - the pattern is fine. I drew schematics to help me out with it. Its asymmetrical - one sleeve has a cable, the other has a strip of stockinette stitch. One front has a cable, the other doesn't. Its very interesting. I'm also planning on making it shorter - 26" is too long for me, not to mention the savings in yarn and time! Right now I'm halfway through one sleeve, I'm really enjoying working with this yarn, its wonderful. The cables aren't hard either, they are rather large and I need to use a cable needle, but they come out lovely in this yarn. Let's keep in touch!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  06:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message
Thanks Linda,
yes, I know I will need help! :-)
i just ordered the yarn via the internet, (someone posted a great price)except, I misread and got the shipping wrong, so not sure i got a great price. anyway, it may not get here for 2weeks. That gives me time to finish klaralund(got myself on a time table..lol) and to draw all out. I am short, and shortwaisted, so I know that would be too long, wont be able to return the unused skein,if I have too many.oh well, this pattern may confuse me. Also, I won't be able to work 2 sleeves on the same circulars, will i?? trust me, if the sleeves are different, I will mess up..
thanks for getting back to me. I will send you a pm as soon as I get it, if you don't mind. I love that yarn. I am also doing the lara knitalong, but in the apricot.
I did buy a skein of that from lys, to knit up a swatch.
it is luscious. keep touching it.
sherry
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  09:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
What is the name of the book that has this paatern?

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  11:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message
Its in debbie bliss's alpaca silk book.
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/db-alpacasilkbk.htm
it downthe page, in the lower right hand corner.
sherry
Go to Top of Page

freecia
Chatty Knitter

195 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  12:30:43 PM  Show Profile Send freecia a Private Message
Just so I can price gauge, how many balls are used for frieda (default size)?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  09:59:37 AM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
Frieda - Bust 30-32 (34-36, 38-40)" knit using 15 (16-17) skeins using Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk

Rose #09 and US 6 and 8 straight & 6 circular needles.

oh and the price is about $8/skein
Go to Top of Page

tess1e
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
627 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  2:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit tess1e's Homepage Send tess1e a Private Message
It is the best yarn I've seen for ages...so so soft and when knitted up it has this satisfyingly heavy feel to it, really silky and drapes beautifully....

did I miss out that I love, Love, LOVE it?

;-)

I'm crocheting a capelet in the Khaki and it's wonderful.

I think the Frieda will look amazing in it - keep us posted!

www.yarn-shop.co.uk
www.craftseek.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  09:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message
Linda,
I got my blue Alpaca silk!! 2 weeks my A$$!! oh, I am in big trouble now.....
sherry
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
I love this yarn. I couldn't stand it and bought just two balls to play with. I bought the coral shade and am making ANA, the chunky cardigan. I want to make a few more of the patterns in the book. It's a great collection of patterns.

I started the sweater, even though I have other projects going. It will just be another WIP, but I can't wait to finish this one. The yarn is so smooth and soft. The only problem is that most of the sweaters require at least 20-30 balls of yarn, which makes it pretty pricey.

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000