Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Spending big $$, then not using or knitting it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
Enjoy those project stashes. No guilt. Remember, no guilt.

Over 25 years ago good wool yarn disappeared from our local yarn shops as the owners declaired that the orlon, nylon, and other synthetics were all most people wanted. That was not true, many of us sampled them and went back to wool as a better product. But if you convince enough people that wool is out yarn shops die and they died.

When I discovered good wool yarn in infinate varieties and natural blends my old stash was down to one handfull of Norwegian wools and tiny tidbits big enough for striped mittens. And I had not enjoyed knitting for years.

If you were to go even farther back and ask the embroiders about the loss of good silk threads during and after WWII you would get the same tales.

Stashes are important. That yarn stashed with its patterns and buttons may be just what you need for a Christmas present for a new daughter-in-law 12 years from now. That fine wool you bought for a scarf may trim a shell you make to go under a suit coat 5 years from now.

If we are lucky and have such choices of yarn and trimmings 10 years from not it will be great but never count on it. Remember even now in Virginia or Maryland some tense knitter is relaxing while knitting yarn from her stash rather than leaveing her home.

I did not mean to preach but I have and for that forgive me. I am going out on the web and add another shawl pattern and more yarn to my stash and pat all the other projects still to be done fondly knowing that even if they are not knit up in 2002 the chances are that they will be someday and in the meantime I can enjoy the colors and textures that were missing from my life so long.

Who gets the award for longest time that a WIP sat and waited to be finished? My entries are the crochet bedspread my Grandmother started that I finished 30 years later and the yellow long sleeved sweater my mother started before 1942 and I finally gave up on and took to the salvation army in 2001.

Angel

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  1:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Yes, my stashing sisters, I too have a fortune in yarn in the closet awaiting attention. I've had a rough year and of course, When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Buy Yarn. Much of my stash came from eBay and was a good deal, but still, it's a lotta money in the form of yarn. I'm working my way through it, chunk by chunk, making gifts and charity items and all sorts of things, but I honestly don't need to buy any more yarn for a year (at least). Have I stopped buying yarn? Hah. Slowed down, yes. Stop? Never! But you know, I've investigated the cost of alternative forms of therapy, not to mention the priceless convenience of having this therapy available on demand vs. by appointment (like, how much do you suppose a therapist would charge if I called at 3 a.m. when I'm awake dealing with my stress?) yarn is a freakin' bargain, and available on demand. I am not going to give it up.

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  1:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Great post, Angel, you said it SO well!

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  3:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
It has been fun seeing this topic revived. The duality of guilt and good sense war within us all. But Angel's wise post, and CatherinM's additional wisdom, remind me of a promise I made to myself years ago.

Our family economy has fluctuated in enormous curves over the decades. After one particularly horrid time when we had to live, 3 of us, one winter and spring, on $40 a month, with 2 broken down cars at the end of a dirt road, I could take no real pleasure in our financial recovery, the following summer. For several years I agonized over not having enough money - when would what we had disappear, dry up, go kaput - and sure enough, 2 months after we closed the builder’s note and moved into the new house, DH was laid off in the bad years of stagflation in 1981. So here we were again, no $ and now, debt! And for the life of me I couldn’t remember one fun thing I’d done with the $ we’d had while times were flush. All I had done was chew my nails with worry about when the ax would fall. Having now learned that there would be flush times followed by lean ones to be followed once again by flush, ad infinitum. So I promised myself that when times were good again I would buy, with every pay check or season, but at least on a regular basis, some little treat to stash away for the inevitable thin times that would come again.

A little stash can work wonders. It can mean a little bit of ant in with the grasshopper.

Go to Top of Page

madelinels@earthlink.net
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  7:31:56 PM  Show Profile Send madelinels@earthlink.net a Private Message
Guilty as charged! Yes I have a stock pile of expensive yarn, still unknit, just waiting there for me to get going on!

Yarn shops are like a candy store to me, can't get enough of it!!
This friend or mine and I make regular trips to three different shops, and ooh la la, we love it, not to mention that we are very bad when together! We find patterns, yarn and just can't help outselves!

This past month I made a promise to myself that I would finish kinitting up the projects that I have in mind to do and then would treat myself to some new yarn, and try (?) to keep it that way!
Now I know that you, as well and I don't believe a word I just typed!

My intentions are good, but I'm so addicted to all the beautiful yarns and patterns I don't think I will live long enough to accomplish all that my mind wants to do!

There have been several projects that I've started that go unfinished regardless of the price, just can't stay with it due to the fact that I don't like the yarn and am unhappy with the sweater design, I will most likely ripe them apart one of these days and try something new.

I do have yarn that I thought was wonderful when I purchased it but now am not to crazy about it. . .this is why I will go ahead a complete the awaiting projects, and buy only yarn for one project at a time. At least that is what I am telling myself once again as I share with you!

Does anyone else talk to them selves this way? LOL

I love this format and the sharing that is done!

Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  9:15:31 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
I am addicted to all kinds of needlework! My life has been the same as others ... times I have had money and times I haven't. Right now I can buy what I want when I want within some semi-sane level. But, I know that in just a few years I will be retired and living on a fixed income. I want those needlework items there so I can always have something to work on. If I never get them all made up they have given me much pleasure just looking at them, holding them and planning on how I will make it up. And, if I go before my time my kids can sell it on eBay. That will be their inheritance. Joking! But, it will serve them right for not learning how to do anything crafty!
Have a great day!
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

gottaknit
New Pal

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  10:33:41 PM  Show Profile Send gottaknit a Private Message
Hurrah for all of us yarnaholics!!! Just think how instrumental we are in keeping our favourite LYS and/or yarn company in business!
I have a wonderful, large stash that gets overlooked all the time - but then there's the surprise when I rediscover one of the old favourites. I have yarn in every possible storage area of my house and it's like the cocooning factor - makes me feel like there will always be something new to try 'when time permits'!!! I really need to retire just to get to the knitting!
Now, we won't even talk about the metres and metres of quilting cottons 'waiting' to become colourful objects of great desire!!
Guess it's just a quiet, harmless addiction we all share in the love of acquiring beautiful things with unlimited potential.
What would it be like if we got together and 'revealed' our stashes - such a colourful room that would be!!!!
Anne

Go to Top of Page

harrietandgene@verizon.net
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  05:52:34 AM  Show Profile Send harrietandgene@verizon.net a Private Message
I started a coat for myself from Vogue Fall 2000. I thought it would not be slow because its made on size 15 needles. Well because its made on such big needles it is so bulky that I really don't like the look. Its a crazy pattern which I also now dislike. The yarn cost a lot of money and a friend of mine keeps asking me if I've finished. I recently took it into the storage room in my basement so I no longer have to look at it. Of course there is the other sweater for myself that took 4 years to make because it was seed stitch back which took forever and it was on 5 needles. Well I finally finished this one and it looks great. I would much rather knit for the grandchildren. The sweaters don't take long and are soooo cute.

So Yes I have hidden my expensive unfinished project and don't know if I will ever finish. I have thought of ripping and doing something else with the yarn but the thing is it only needs the sleeves and the hood. Oh well maybe some day!!!

Harriet
Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  07:41:35 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Maybe your friend wants it? Heehee- oh well. I agree with you on children knits! I've got so many I want to do for my baby and one of them is a whole suit (I guess you'd call it that) that's pants, hooded sweater and hat called Dalmation Dreams (in Knit 'n Style issue 96- August 1998)! How cute!

Amanda

quote:

I started a coat for myself from Vogue Fall 2000. I thought it would not be slow because its made on size 15 needles. Well because its made on such big needles it is so bulky that I really don't like the look. Its a crazy pattern which I also now dislike. The yarn cost a lot of money and a friend of mine keeps asking me if I've finished. I recently took it into the storage room in my basement so I no longer have to look at it. Of course there is the other sweater for myself that took 4 years to make because it was seed stitch back which took forever and it was on 5 needles. Well I finally finished this one and it looks great. I would much rather knit for the grandchildren. The sweaters don't take long and are soooo cute.

So Yes I have hidden my expensive unfinished project and don't know if I will ever finish. I have thought of ripping and doing something else with the yarn but the thing is it only needs the sleeves and the hood. Oh well maybe some day!!!

Harriet

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

Ganyah
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  07:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ganyah's Homepage Send Ganyah a Private Message
After reading these postings I don't feel quite as quilty about my yarn stash. I have expensive yarns sitting around, but most of them I have gotten at the thrift stores for $1.00-$3.00 dollars...a bag. I can't resist cottons and wools, and when other people get tired of their stash or don't like their projects, I will try to be there to grab what they throw away. My husband gave up trying to talk me out of buying when I rented the 5x5 unit at the local Stor-it-all. The problem with storing yarn outside the house is that you always feel like you don't have any, so you buy more.
Best buy? 27 ozs of Dyed-in-the-Wool salmon colored yarn..60%wool, 40% silk...$2.00

Go to Top of Page

tomato
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  3:00:03 PM  Show Profile Send tomato a Private Message
I so enjoyed everyone's stash stories. I hadn't done needlework for about 10 years and started again when my daughter picked up knitting. Since I didn't know what I wanted to work on, I bought a bit of everything and hid it everywhere! My mistake yarn I gave away or used in charity knitting to alleviate the guilt. Two expensive projects that haunt me the most are an unstarted Hanne Falkenburg and a Dale sweater of Kolibri which is presently in its 2nd year of "becoming", an inch at a time. The many others waiting for me don't haunt me at all - I look and touch the sparkles, wispy eyelashes, brilliant colors, warm wools - they're like friends, waiting for me to make plans for them. I feel double pleasure when I make just the right pattern for one of them. The yarn in my closet comforteth me...I feel like the Girl Scout who is always prepared.

tomato
Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
This message is for "Greysmom2." I love, love eyelash yarn. Cast on 10-15 stitches on no. 10 needles (wooden are best), garter stitch, 1 skein, and you have the cutest "boa" scarves!!!!!!!! Also, very sell-able at craft shows.
anotherbev

Go to Top of Page

Juanita in NZ
Warming Up

New Zealand
59 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  12:00:43 AM  Show Profile Send Juanita in NZ a Private Message
Chris, you talked about a tubel-like 'garment' you had as kids, which you thought Kim could use her sparkly knitted tube for, aren't they called 'snoods'(We pronounced it like 'snude'). I remember a fashion about twenty years ago when I was living in London and people wore them. I thought they seemed fantastically sensible, but my friends thought they were ridiculous - maybe it was the name they objected to!

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  10:40:00 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Juanita, that's not what we call a snood, but I guess that could have been the name for those "hats". To me a snood is something used to keep your hair in place (if you have long hair). Lacey knitted or loosely crocheted, sometimes with a drawstring to pull it tight if needed. I also think they are called filets? http://hairsnares.com/large_snood.html

The thing my grammy made me was a plain old stockinette stitch tube that you pulled over your head, down to your neck, then pulled the top edge back up to just above your forehead. Mayhaps that's called a snood somewhere!

crhis (it's an anagram)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Luvtoknit
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  12:48:48 PM  Show Profile Send Luvtoknit a Private Message
I just returned from Europe and was feeling guilty for all the Rowan yarn & books I purchased there. I had to buy another suitcase to bring it home in. Oh well, I love textiles in all forms. I am a quilter and have a hoard of quilting fabric as well. But the way I look at is, it is my hobby. It keeps my life interesting and stimulating (I have a big fear of boredom). My husband doesn't need to be burdened with entertaining me. I do work full time & run a business so I do not have much free time, but I cherish the couple hours here & there I can sit down to knit. My job is stressful and knitting is a way I can think through the issues & problems to come up with solutions for my business.
If we are constantly stimulating our minds with challenging projects there is less chance we will get Alzheimer’s. Not to mention I have met some very fun & interesting women over the years as a result.
So perhaps we should all stop feeling guilty and start enjoying the benefits of this wonderful craft.
(thanks-I feel better already!)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I have no guilt at all about buying yarn! I work, my husband works. A percentage of my pay goes to the joint bank account to pay my share of household expenses, and the rest is mine. Most men I know spend their play money on big toys(stereos, computers)but I spend mine on yarn. I really think women need to stop thinking of buying little things for themselves as a "frill." Women contribute to their families and deserve to treat themselves. Some might be able to afford $200.00 for a Rowan Biggy Print sweater, others might have to budget $5.00 a month for Wool Ease - but women WE DESERVE IT! One of the other reasons I don't feel guilty about my knitting spending is that it is my clothing, and also gifts for people. My husband and I have found an equitable way to split our financial duties and my stash reaps the benefits. I highly recommend that any of you who want more money to spend on your stashes work a couple hours more per week or just bring lunch to work! If I take the 45 minute walk home from work, I save $2.25. If I bring my lunch, that saves me at least $5.00. All this goes to my knitting! Unfortunately, next year I have to put the money into retirement funds, but I'll have my stash to sustain me!

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  2:43:05 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Mokey,

You are so right, and I wish I had you with me at Stiches East to ease any small guilt I was feeling at the time of purchasing, LOL.

We, as females do tend to feel guilty way too often. Men don't waste much, if any, time on guilt and feel free to buy what they want when they want! If they occassionally feel guilt, they can justify it away in a heartbeat, in my very humble opinion and life experiences observing men. I see this trait as a very good thing, and wish that I was more like that in my own life, because everything would be that much more enjoyable!

Life is short, and we don't know what tomorrow may bring, so let's stop beating ourselves over the head and enjoy each day as it comes along! Okay, I'll now hop right down off my mini soapbox.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

ms_little
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  8:36:21 PM  Show Profile Send ms_little a Private Message
Hi all! This has been a very interesting topic and timely too. I've recently received my package of Rowan Kidsilk Haze from www.colourway.co.uk and was feeling guilty for buying it. I've got boxes of yarn waiting to be used without adding more. I don't even have a project in mind for this yarn. I feel less 'bad' about it now because it was on sale and, having tore open my package, it feels so absolutely gorgeous! Once I find my ideal pattern for this project, I'll be so excited about starting I'm sure I'll forget all about the guilt.

It's a different story with a huge cross-stitch kit I purchased 2 years ago. I started off very well but just stopped working on it after a few months. It's now hidden behind my knitting books so I don't have to look at it. If any of you enjoy tapestry but only in small doses, check out the postcard-sized designs on www.jenniferpudney.com - they're really cute!

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Reading everyone's perspectives here has been really interesting! I'm a die-hard quilter and my fabric stash is somewhere around enough to make a ton of quilts without leaving the house (assuming I had the batting and pieced the backings together). With quilting it always made sense to me to buy ahead and without projects in mind. I have many times been able to whip together a beautiful quilt for a baby shower or other gift without even having to go to the store! Everytime I do this I feel so much better about my stash. My DH is wonderful and almost never gives me grief about my fabric stash (he does give me grief about projects I've started and not finished - esp the ones he really likes )

Of course now that I've started this wonderful new hobby called knitting.... I've already got enough yarn to make about 7 pairs of socks, and have gleefully purchased addi turbos in sets of two in almost all the smaller sizes while we have the money. I have a sweater in progress with yarn I purchased specifically for that. I don't know if I'd be able to pre-purchase yarn for a sweater unless I was ready to start making it very very soon because of the large cost involved - But sock yarn is easy to buy enough to make some beautiful socks without a lot of investment up front, and it's not hard to store or keep track of patterns with it.

Then there are all the cross stitch kits I've got stashed away in a closet somewhere. I bought one pattern called "Girl with Bunny" special order because I loved it so much. I decided to do it in matte thread (flower thread) instead of shiny embroidery floss, so I purchased all the thread I thought I would need. It languished on the shelf only 1/4 done for a few years. Last year when I was pregnant I really needed a hand project to work on (knitting hadn't entered the equation yet) so I got quite a bit done, started running out of thread, then found out that the flower thread I was using from DMC was discontinued!! I frantically called every needlework shop in the country to find the colors I needed, and overbought on purpose so I was sure I wouldn't run out again. I then stopped working on the project and it's sitting in the pile waiting to be picked up again. Hmm.. that cross stitch would go really well in our bathroom since i painted it... maybe I'll have to pick it up again!

Now I just need to balance my quilting & knitting hobbies - I've got a king size quilt in progress, but I picked a pattern with a zillion pieces and with my 1 year old to chase around it's hard to spend much time on it. So for now I'll knit some socks and a sweater and know it's there waiting for me to come back to it.

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

ladyknight90
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  10:54:47 AM  Show Profile Send ladyknight90 a Private Message

I refuse to feel guily about my unfinished/unstarted projects. In addition to knitting, I also sew and cross-stitch. I had one large cross-stitch project that took me seven years. If I got sick of it, I would put it aside, sometimes for months at a time. The day would come when I was ready to pick it up again.

I always have several projects going at once, and which one I work on depends on my mood. I will get them all done eventually, when I am ready. When I start to feel guilty, I remind myself that these projects are my fun, my relaxation, my therapy, not another source of stress, guilt or frustration.

Ladyknight
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.