Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Spending big $$, then not using or knitting it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  02:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
In another post someone said she'd bought a beautiful spinning wheel and was upset with herself for not using it. Boy did that touch a chord in me. I have very expensive yarn bought to knit up two sweaters and they aren't even in the "display" box. there is nothing wrong with this yarn - it's not the wrong color, or the wrong amount or anything "wrong". I just haven't knit the stuff up. this isn't yarn that i bought on a whim or bought because someday I will think of what I want to make. These are the complete deal - pattern, yarn, and buttons. $100+!!! Way too much money to just leave lying around - so what's the block?

Does that ever happen to you?

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  03:53:16 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Oh Bess did this ring a chord with me as well.I am very good at times of putting these things out of my mind and then someone says something or I do something which reminds me and I feel soooo guiltyIhave two jumpers both reasonably expensive wool half done and know that I will never finish them.I've got plans of eventually using the wool for one to knit up scarves.I've actually hidden them to try and make me forget.How terrible is that.When Clara ran the poll on UFO's I wrote in that I was going to undo them so I wouldn't have any on the go.Don't tell Clara but I got sidetracked and haven't done it yet.It doesn't pay to be too smart does it.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  07:22:17 AM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I have a couple of those. Two sweaters that I finally splurged on for myself but haven't gotten around to starting yet. I was just pawing through my stash the other day and came across them. I still love the yarn, the pattern everything about them. I made a mental promise that I will start one of them this fall.... We'll see what actually happens. Got that wedding afghan, baby blanket, baby sweater, toddler gift, socks for various people, and that summer top I started for myself that I thought I'd actually finish in a timely manner because it has no sleeves, etc. to finish before I start...It's not looking good.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  08:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I understand completely!!!! I was heavly into needlepoint for years and the money I've got in those cartons of beautiful canvas and wool.... (I could shoot myself) and I have no desire to work on any of it.

When knitting became my relaxation of choice I made myself a promise to not buy anything that costs over $20 unless I was going to start on it NOW and finish it in a reasonable time. (it also helped that I want to put more money away for travel) I satisfy my cravings for yarn by buying 1 or 2 skeins (enough to make a hat or scarf) or a nice pattern that won't go out of style.

The one time I did spend over $100 for a sweater I now don't like it. The sweater is almost done (needs sleeves) and I don't like the yarn, don't like the pattern. So, when I'm in the LYS I think of that sweater and my credit card goes back in my wallet.

Of course I don't have children or grandchildren to knit sweaters for so maybe that's why I can be more strict with myself.....that and thinking of the needlepoint canvas...sigh.

LJ

Go to Top of Page

heidigrace
Chatty Knitter

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  10:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit heidigrace's Homepage Send heidigrace a Private Message
LJ - I did the same thing with the needlepoint. I actually had a Christmas sock I was working on for my mom that I just forced myself to finish. I started it something like 6 years ago. Maybe more.

As far as knitting projects, I had a sweater I had a big problem with, of course with expensive yarn, but I finally got it done and now I actually like it. My problem was with the row gauge actually, the thing just kept getting longer and longer as I worked on the pieces. I think it stretched, the row gauge was right on when I started out.

When I get stuck, I usually refuse to look at the project, do something I can finish, and then go back to the offending project. Unless it's a sock, those can sit around for years.

Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  11:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
I've got a slew of yarns here bought for different projects - at different levels of $$ outlay. I'm best at finishing expensive things 'cause I just can't stand to see the yarn just sit there and sit there...

...but the mohair I bought (and never EVER should have) will sit there until the end of time. I HATE working with it. *sigh*

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  12:32:38 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Kristin, what kind of wedding afghan???
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  05:27:37 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
I have a sweater still sitting on needles from 1985. The sweater is in the winter issue of Vogue Knitting 1985. I spent over $100 for the yarn. It is about 2/3 done. It is knit in one piece on circulars (not in the round however, simply back and forth). It has raglan sleeves and a big bow on the front and back knitted in gold ribbon yarn. It was beautiful in the '80's but now outdated. My MIL says I should finish it because it is so beautiful and wear it anyway. I am seriously considering finishing it or frogging it (months of work down the drain). Any thoughts?

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  06:47:53 AM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
The pattern is called Wedding Afghan from Interweave Knits magazine (I am guessing Summer 2001). It is worked in 4 strips, each with a single line of stitch to represent a vine going up the center, as it goes up leaves come off it (alternating sides). On either side of the vine are two single lines that curve in and out (like waves) and each panel is separated by an a column of single yarn overs. The border is ribbing. So far I'm half way through the panels.

I had been looking at it off and on, so when a good friend of mine announced she is getting married, I decided to make it for her wedding present, (if I had been a little speedier or organized it would have been for her shower--oh well). She is always very admiring of the things I knit so it seemed like a perfect opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  10:54:02 PM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
This is exactly why I have my most expensive stuff in a Stash Reduction thread. I would love to knit it up but I simply don't have time and I need the money for other things (yarn plus textbooks and stuff for school) other than to see it sit there and not be able to be knitted for months.

[Jenn - moonglitter@moonglitter.net]
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  06:52:04 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
{Raises hand with guilty look on face...}

Hi, I'm Kristin and I'm a yarn addict. I buy yarns because they look beautiful and then they sit in my yarn trunk for years.

Sound familiar? I made a promise to myself that I'm going to reduce the stash on all my expensive "pretty" yarns I have. I get so carried away when I see beautiful colors & textures and I dream a million dreams about what I want to do with the yarn and then I either a) don't do anything with it, b) get half way through the project and stop or c) wind up hating the yarn because it may be pretty to look at and touch but a bear to knit with it.

At least I'm not the only one who does this...LOL

--Kristin
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  07:05:47 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I think maybe there's another side to this. I have this occur more with reading matter than yarn (less capital outlay there). Sometimes when I really lust after something and then get it, I don't dive into it immediately, but rather think I will hold back on it for a rainy day, so to speak, a psychological "money in the bank". If this goes on long enough, the item seems to lose some of its specialness, and instead becomes just another item on my list of things to do - not a chore, certainly, but not the thrill it might have been. Once I start on it, of course, it's delicious. (Thankfully.)

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  08:41:41 AM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
I'm Julie, and I'm a project addict. I start something and then something else and so on. It gets packed away for a move and I forget about until I peek in the box for the next move (which of course is no time to start a project) but IM GONNA FINISH IT! I swear. I've been pretty well settled for awhile. I've just got to convince myself that my creativity deserves some ORGANIZED space. I invested in a slew of needles recently on ebay and don't even know what I have!!! It would have to be bigger than a roll. I have a roll and too many needles don't fit in it... Giant coffee cans? I'd love to hear how you guys do it...

Go to Top of Page

knitfanatic
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  09:31:52 AM  Show Profile Send knitfanatic a Private Message
Another Guilty One. I too can't resist buying yarns, sometimes with no particular project in mind, just impulse that the yarn is beautiful and that I will find something to make with it. I also am a Knitting Book Junkie as well as patterns. I just finished cataloging all my books and magazines and patterns. Seven pages single-spaced and I'm still waiting for a couple of books to come in.
I start a project and am so excited then I pick up a book or magazine and see something else in there that I would love to make and it feels like real work to finish the current project. I just can't get that new project out of my mind.
There just doesn't seem to be enough space in my house to keep all my yarn, books and accessories. Do you think I could convince my girls that it would be a wonderful experience if they went back to sharing a room?
So little time, so much yarn and books and patterns, etc.........
Kelly

Go to Top of Page

GreysMom2
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  3:05:26 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom2 a Private Message
My name is Kim and I am a yarn addict. I am also a knitting book/magazine addict. While I savor every magazine and book, I will admit freely (although only on this forum) that I have many, many skeins of yarn that have been neglected since arriving at my door.

I am normally not compulsive, but sometimes I am overtaken by an urge stronger than I am and I give in. The last time was with eyelash yarn. I spent waaaay too much money on about 9 skeins of eyelash. One was very expensive and I only bought a single skein. I have fondled it, rubbed it against my cheek, run it through my finger, and even knitted a small swatch, which I immediately frogged. The skein still sits. Two of them were moderately expensive and they have also sat, untouched. The last 6 were the cheapest of the lot and I finally just began knitting them on circs until the yarn was all gone, leaving a large, deep blue, sparkly tube. I'm not sure what I will do with it, but somehow I felt better having knitted it up.

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who buys yarn without knowing what I will do with it, then ending up doing nothing. I would sell it or give it away, but I just can't bear to part with it! I have no idea why! I wonder what Dr. Phil would say about that. he he he.

Kim

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  3:34:23 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Kim, how big around is your tube? My grandmother made us the coolest uh...er...I don't know what to call them!! when we were kids. They were just knitted tubes, large enough to go over our heads. We'd pull them on and either wear them as a neck gaiter (no flapping ends and as warm as any scarf) or pull up the top edge so that it just came around the face and had a hat and scarf combined. I hope I've described that so you can understand! I can just imagine one made of blue sparkly yarn...it would be beautiful!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  4:05:12 PM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
LOL with Chris and Kim. I knit BIG and therefore imagined that the tube to be of sleeping bag proportions!!!!

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Dear Emarouto (or something like that)

your sweater is not out of date. It is retro. And retro is the latest craze in everything from 1950 kitchens to 1960 pillboxes. Finish it and wear it proudly, but don't be surprised if you are offered a fortune for it.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  08:48:21 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
There are many aspects to knitting like designing, the actual doing of the knitting, giving gifts, wearing one of a kind fashions, etc, etc. I just figured that yarn stashes and having expensive yarn that is not knitted occurred because I enjoyed the shopping and daydreaming more than any other aspect. Throw out the guilt. I once has 3 yards of fabric ($75/yd--a lot more in the sixties than now... lol) I carressed it and measured it and designed for it for years before I finally made a simple dress to wear for my three girls christening. I figure I got a lot more pleasure from it than if I had sewn it immediately and it was worth it.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

stupaj
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  12:30:29 PM  Show Profile Send stupaj a Private Message
Do I have yarn bought for a special project sitting unused? You betcha! I do not regret one skein of it either. When I started knitting in earnest it was in the 70's as a very poor student. I can remember taking one sweater apart at least 3 times because I did not have any yarn and could not afford to buy any!! But I needed to be knitting. It was a lovely wool and felt so wonderful in my hands as I knit. As my income improved, my yarn stash grew. Someday I may finish my planned projects. Perhaps they will change into new ones, as a good many of them already have. And then again, maybe not. I enjoy looking through them, feeling them and planning for them. If I never put them on a set of needles they have given me great joy already!! Am I a yarn addict? You betcha, and proud of it!

Syd Tupaj
Go to Top of Page

merren
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile Send merren a Private Message
quote:

I've got a slew of yarns here bought for different projects - at different levels of $$ outlay. I'm best at finishing expensive things 'cause I just can't stand to see the yarn just sit there and sit there...

...but the mohair I bought (and never EVER should have) will sit there until the end of time. I HATE working with it. *sigh*

--
Jenanne
Hi
I'm so tempred to try a mohair sweater!Please tell me why you hate working with it so much.dabbott0642@rogers.com
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm

merren
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by