Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Opal colors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  07:47:29 AM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
Has anyone else noticed that what you actually get when you order Opal yarns online can be very different from what you see on your screen? I've had this happen twice now, once with a yarn in the "Mexiko" collection and now with a yarn that I thought was in the Southwest collection. As I'm actually knitting it up, it doesn't look anything like the photos of that collection! I see the "Farbe" and "Partie" numbers on the label -- not knowing German, I assume that's "Color" and "Dye Lot". I really like this last yarn but have no idea how I'd go about getting the same color again if I wanted to order another ball! Any keys to Opal's color/pattern numbering scheme? Have I missed something very obvious?

Jane

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  10:05:20 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I ordered a skein of Mexico-flavor Opal that had red, yellow, and GREEN stripes both on-line and in the paper catalog...when it arrived it had red, yellow, and dark plum-colored stripes. I was pretty surprised but still like the socks. I guess you just have to order your Opal with a sense of adventure!
Lin

Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  08:22:18 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Where do yoy buy Opal? And would it help to try cross-referencig the color numbers with 2 or more sources? A lot of trouble, sure, but if it is important to get the right colors it might help.
Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  11:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
I can find Opal at my LYS (Woolcott & Co. in Cambridge, MA) but, much to my dismay, they chose not to stock the wonderful 2002 Collection, the Evening Breezes, or any of the "generic" Opal yarns. Instead, an enormous batch of awful loud Mexiko is still sitting, unloved, on the shelves. I wish they hadn't put all their eggs in one backet, so to speak. I would have carried home armfuls of 2002 and Evening Breeze if only I'd had the chance, but instead, they are probably going to conclude that 'people don't want to buy variegated sock yarn' and stop stocking it altogether once the Mexiko finally disappears in the sale bin.

Sigh!

--Beth
Go to Top of Page

kiwi
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
162 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  1:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Carodan Farm has Opal listed by number,that might match up with the number on your yarn. You could go to the site www.carodanfarm.com and see if the numbers match? Farbe means color so that might be the number to look for? Good luck.
Penny
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2002 :  09:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Try http://www.ptyarn.com/ - they've got a Sock of the Month club also, but on the website they seem to be sold out of a lot (of course, all the colors I would want!)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2002 :  09:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I ordered my new skein of Tiger from Carodan on Monday. I think PTyarns was out or something. DGD wants a pair, and I didn't have enough left from Laura's pair-made a long cuff, as she has long legs. I may knit a pair for DGD's mommy, too, if there seems to be enough. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  2:10:56 PM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
Thanks for all your responses to my question about Opal colors. Sounds like at least one of you had the same experience I did with unexpected tones. In the meantime I've learned to be a bit more laid-back about working with Opal. When I'm feeling orderly and structured I probably need to knit with Regia; when I want to indulge my devil-may-care side, Opal is perfect!

Go to Top of Page

Luvtoknit
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  1:55:22 PM  Show Profile Send Luvtoknit a Private Message
Has anyone seen the sweater knit with the sock yarn Fortisma?
I am knitting a pair of socks with Opal (which looks very similar) I just can't figure out how it works with the diameter of an adult sweater? I was also thinking how cute it would be to make a dog sweater out of this stuff. I find it so fun to just keep knitting away and watch the pattern form on its own.
Go to Top of Page

purpleshimmer7
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  4:50:43 PM  Show Profile Send purpleshimmer7 a Private Message
The Opal sock yarns don't always knit to the pictures, and some pictures misrepresent the real colors of the yarn. It's basically a surprise, and once you start knitting you just want to keep going to see what designs and colors form. I have still enjoyed all the Opal socks I have made, even if they don't look like the picture from Opal. The place I purchase Opal from is Fiber Naturell in Cincinnati, Ohio. It's $11.95 plus tax for a ball. She also does mail order, though not too sure on the shipping amount. You can contact Patty at FiberNaturell@zoomtown.com or (513)793-4940. Also she has the pattern for the sweater out of Fortisma sock yarn.
Go to Top of Page

purpleshimmer7
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  4:50:55 PM  Show Profile Send purpleshimmer7 a Private Message
The Opal sock yarns don't always knit to the pictures, and some pictures misrepresent the real colors of the yarn. It's basically a surprise, and once you start knitting you just want to keep going to see what designs and colors form. I have still enjoyed all the Opal socks I have made, even if they don't look like the picture from Opal. The place I purchase Opal from is Fiber Naturell in Cincinnati, Ohio. It's $11.95 plus tax for a ball. She also does mail order, though not too sure on the shipping amount. You can contact Patty at FiberNaturell@zoomtown.com or (513)793-4940. Also she has the pattern for the sweater out of Fortisma sock yarn.
Go to Top of Page

purpleshimmer7
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  4:51:09 PM  Show Profile Send purpleshimmer7 a Private Message
Go to Top of Page

purpleshimmer7
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  4:51:11 PM  Show Profile Send purpleshimmer7 a Private Message
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe