Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Favorite Handcream?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Serenity62
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile Send Serenity62 a Private Message
I am interested in trying that Bath & Bodyworks healing cream.

Does anyone know if they have stores in Canada ?

I don't see them listed in my telephone directory.

Or perhaps on my next trip to Grand Forks, N.D. ????

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  08:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Yahoo! has a yellow pages option - I tried to search for you but needed more info than just Canada to come up with something. If you type in Bath & Body Works to a search engine, you'll probably come up with something, although they don't sell online themselves at this time.

I am personally sitting next to an almost empty tube of my precious Daffodil Fields Body Cream from them - the scent was discontinued probably two years ago, and I've been using it sparingly (similar to the "Sponge-Worthy" Seinfeld episode!) since then. I also LOVE their Shea Butter - just a little goes a long way (I slather it on my feet before bedtime).

And I love the idea of the sugar and olive oil. They're selling a lot of those sugar scrubs (using salt is another option) in stores now, but this is obviously a cheaper version, which I imagine is just as good - not as much perfume, but who needs that?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
They have an 800number. 1 (800) 395-1001

quote:

I am interested in trying that Bath & Bodyworks healing cream.

Does anyone know if they have stores in Canada ?

I don't see them listed in my telephone directory.

Or perhaps on my next trip to Grand Forks, N.D. ????

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

Anweknit
Warming Up

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  1:24:17 PM  Show Profile Send Anweknit a Private Message
I live in the UK and I have never heard of some of the brands mentioned. The best thing I ever found for soft hands was when my children were babies.(More years than I care to admit to)Good old Zinc and Castor Oil cream. Those were the days of boiling terry nappies(diapers?) As those days are long since gone, any face cream I happen to use.After all if it kind enough to soften my face, it should be good enough for my hands!!!!!!!!!!!I usually use one of the Simple or Boots moisturizers. We don't have to worry about over exposure to the HOT sun here. More like anti-rust products.!
Best wishes to everyone

Anwen
Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  2:59:44 PM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
Doreen, are you close to Manitoba? I just had to ask because you mentioned Grand Forks, and you are from Canada...And since I grew up in Manitoba I got real curious :)

They don't have any Bath and Bodyworks stores in Canada, but you could maybe look on ebay or makeupalley.com for anyone who would like to sell any handcreams not available in Canada :)

[Jenn - moonglitter@moonglitter.net]
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  6:53:02 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.petvetsupply.com/ontmqua006.html

http://www.petvetsupply.com/livestock-health-care-ointments.html

Are you using the udder butter or the balm?

quote:

All Udder Balms are NOT created equal

Look for Dionne Products from Des Moines IA. I have only found it in feed stores. Could not find it in the entire state of TX, but have located it in TX, OK and NC - you lucky people [;)

Truly, brands do make a difference. This brand was actually recommended by a dermatologist when prescription lotion failed to control cracked to the point of bleeding fingertips during the winter. It does not stain yarn, has a slight lemon fragrance that dissipates quickly, does not leave your hands feeling slick or sticky and is also wonderful for wintertime dry feet and legs as well.

Yes, I talk the way I write - and knit that way too - on and on and on

I can't quite figure out what it going on here. I wrote a second message after I thought I lost the first, now when I preview . . . the first message pops up. Who know what will post?

Lori

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

MeandMyself
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  9:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit MeandMyself's Homepage Send MeandMyself a Private Message
I love all the stuff from Lush - www.lushcanada.com (they take online orders). Handmade creams and lotions, num. And if things are looking /really/ bad, they have some wonderful massage bars. We have all the ones involving chocolate, and they do the trick, though I wouldn't reccomend them for use /while/ knitting. Still, great stuff, and all natural at that!

-Brianna

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  05:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Hello, all. I have heard of all kinds of great lotions, butters, etc. but I can't be in close proximity to a lotion with a flower scent. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hand cream not scented with a floral scent? Helen, does that shea butter products have a strong scent? How about some of those udder creams? I can really use the help. Thnaks.

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  09:23:51 AM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
Aveeno, which is one of the three products I use, is fragrance-free. It can be bought anywhere, at a supermarket, drugstore, etc.

(In fact, I have some right here; let me double-check for you. Sniffsniffsniffsniff... Nope, no scent! )

Pookie

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Shea Butter is not floral - but it's similar to cocoa butter or almond butter - it is plant derived and it's the ingredient, not the product name (well, sometimes it's both) I don't think it smells floral - then again, I have a flimsy sense of smell - but if you're at a Bath & Body Works (can you stand to go in them?) check it out.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  10:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
My Bath and Bodyworks foot cream with shea butter is peppermint fragrance. I can't stand a lot of floral things, either, but can handle peppermint and citrus fragrances. My dh likes the peppermint smell...Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

k2p2ssk
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  11:57:31 PM  Show Profile Send k2p2ssk a Private Message

I've started using ***Burt's Bees Milk & Honey Body Lotion*** with V e & Aloe for normal to dry skin. It has sunflower oil, coconut oil, bees wax, oraange wax, rosemary, milk and honey, peru balsam, orange oil and beta carotene. It's listed as 97.77% natural. It's not greasy and absorbs quickly into the skin so I can go straight to the computer room or pick-up my knitting without worrying about grease or stains. I also have a pumis like stone that helps get the snags off and keeps my hands smooth and clean after gardening and such other dirty and hard work. I also use ***Gardner's Secret*** which has things in it like peach kernel oil, sunflower seed oil, jojoba oil and V a,d,& e. Although the scent isn't as nice as some, these two are staples right now.

For all over body lotion I use olive oil in my bath and it's done wonders for my dry, painfully dry heels!! I have such soft skin on my feet now I love wearing sandals. And when shaking hands more often than not I get either a startled look or open admiration on how soft my hands are. (if only they knew!)

Vicky
WA State
Go to Top of Page

claudia
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  5:42:05 PM  Show Profile Send claudia a Private Message
Try Wool Wax Creme from Marcha Labs, Inc., P.O. Box 186 Terry, MT
It's the best for dry hands. Lanolin-rich!

Go to Top of Page

MarionB
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  10:51:30 AM  Show Profile Send MarionB a Private Message
What? No one mentions Rescue Remedy Cream? This marvelous stuff is at the health store made by Bach Flower Remedies Ltd. I am fanatic about not wanting chemicals on or in my body. It is non-greasy and fragrance free. My kids use it on their kids' abrasions and cuts because they know it takes away the pain and helps it heal. I've used it for years; won't go anywhere without a tube in my purse.

My hands often get scratchy and I just smooth on a tiny bit and go sailing on. The only drawback is that it will wash off fairly easily. In the winter, I might apply some before bedtime. Hands are smooth when I wake up.

White sugar is processed with lead, so I wouldn't want to chance rubbing that on my skin. Mineral supplements can go a long way to help nourish the skin from the inside out. I'm also fond of beta carotene which turns into Vitamin A in your body. Beta carotene is a safe supplement, while Vit. A can be overdone and hurt your liver.

Smooth, safe knitting!

Go to Top of Page

midddeb
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile Send midddeb a Private Message
I've found internal methods to help as well: drinking lots of water, and taking about 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil per day. The flaxseed oil is filled with Omega 3 fatty acids, so it has wonderful health benefits, plus it is great for skin! Even cured a patch of excema (I'd never had excema before, and someone suggested trying this. It was better in 3 days!)

Deb
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  7:59:21 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If you are really interested in pure, unscented products, try making your own or buying from someone who makes their own. I just bought 3 lbs of glycerin soap with aloe and shea butter. It comes in 1 lb sheets which I can cut into bars or melt in the microwave and mold into bars. Any scent or coloring has to be added so naturally I leave it out. It is very inexpensive this way also.

Hint--type shea butter or soap making supplies into Ebay search engine or google.com

Go to Top of Page

dgiorgi@earthlink.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  06:18:51 AM  Show Profile Send dgiorgi@earthlink.net a Private Message
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase Mary Jo's Handcream? Either on-line or in NYC.
Thanks,
Diane
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  10:47:59 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
Marion B: As a chemist I must take this opportunity to do a little educating. Not using chemicals on or in your body is impossible. Your body is a chemical processing plant! How do you think your food gets digested? You wouldn't drink hydrochloric acid, but your body makes it for digestion of your food. There are some chemicals that are undesirable and should not be used on or in our bodies. But your favorite hand cream, beta carotene, etc. are all chemicals. It is incorrect to use "chemical" to describe products that are not marketed as "natural" or found at your health food store. Health food stores are full of chemicals - just check out the supplements section. Is ephedra safe just because it comes from a "natural" source? It is just a chemical.

Chemistry and chemicals are what have given us the lifestyle and choices we have in the 21st century. Everything you have is based on chemistry. Next time you meet a chemist, thank her or him for the important work they do.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  8:59:14 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
Hi everyone,
I still love my Bath & Body Works Shea Butter Healing cream. My nail are still growing. It rubs in if used sparingly and I don't worry about it when I am doing needlework. I did find a site on line called the African Shea Butter Company. I ordered the cream. It is very oily and I wouldn't use it when knitting or touching anything I don't want oiled. I do think the ridges in my nails are getting better though. I also ordered one of their logs of soap with lemongrass/sage fragrance. Talk about luxury! I am in love with it. A log will cut into 18 3.75 oz bars. I am going to order a log in each of their fragrances. Each log is $20 and some change. That includes shipping. I have 9 girls/women in my family and 60 that work for me. I am going to cut up the logs and give them as Christmas gifts wrapped in net and tied with ribbons. If you decide to try it be prepared for a wait. They can't keep the soap in stock and though not great in keeping in touch with you they did suprise me when they got it back in stock and actually telephoned me to see if I still wanted it.
Enjoy,
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Melanie
New Pal

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  10:12:45 PM  Show Profile Send Melanie a Private Message
I like Body Butter from The Body Shop. It's thick, like well butter. A little goes a long way. I've used the "Nut" Butter, (Maccadamia, shea and Brazil) but there is a soy, sesame, coconut, olive, honey etc. I don't think they add fragrance, it has a VERY light scent that maybe smells like maccadamia or coconut.It absorbs nicely, no oily or "heavy" feeling. It's GREAT on rough elbows, knees, feet! You can "test drive" any product at their shops, and I've never felt pressured to buy at any of their shops (USA, UK or Australia) Sales people seem very laid back. I also like the company's values. Not to get on a soap box here, but they pay a fair price to growers and producers (small farmers and workers, often in third world places) they are very active in community aid projects, Farm Aid in the USA, kind of a "shopping for a better planet" mentality. I like to put my money where my morals are when I can. I really do like the Body Butters. Yummmy! You can read more at their website www.thebodyshop.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?