Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Learning from KR: Washcloths
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  6:30:03 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
I was fortunate to have stumbled upon Knitter's Review during my first few weeks of knitting and have learned so much from the folks here. But I want to talk especially about washcloths. When I first hit the site I'd read posts about knitting washcloths and was really perplexed. "What's the big deal?" I thought. It wasn't until I swatched the yarn for my first cotton project that I got it. That swatch felt wonderful. So I knitted a washcloth and learned that bathing with a handknit cotton cloth is just luxurious! I've knitted many since my epiphany, for myself and others. When I give them as gifts people are properly appreciative but it's only after they've bathed with them that they really say "thanks."

So for any new knitters here who might be, as I was, perplexed about washcloth excitement, they really are wonderful. Great gifts, and a great way to practice new stitches for a bigger project while actually producing something useful and delightful.

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  8:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Dot, I too wondered at first about knitting "dishcloths" or washcloths. But, once I made one, I started making lots. My dd had some she made in her bathroom, and we have made them for gifts, as others have suggested, with soap or shower gel enclosed that matches the yarn in some way. Much appreciated so far! I made a dishcloth for a new bride, as of tomorrow, and gave it to her with the store bought towels and accessories, which it matches, and she loved it. I think it was mostly because I made it myself. They are a good way to try out a pattern, too, instead of swatching and having to undo it. I have tried a new pattern each time I have made one so far, and different colors. Soon, I will try the same patterns in the other colors, too. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  06:35:37 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Good morning, everyone. I also wondered "what's the big deal" about washcloths. I started one yesterday from a cone of cotton chenille I bought on Ebay. It is wonderfully soft. I had to rethink who I will be giving these too come Christmas. Are they "worthy" of such luxury? Just kidding. I love the way they feel and can see myself making several for my bathroom. One question...how well does a pattern stitch show up on chenille? The one I'm making is strictly for mindless knitting... it's in garter stitch. Is it worth it to make cables and such on this yarn? Have a nice weekend.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  08:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Wendy, I haven't done anything with chenille yet, but I have used a thick and thin yarn on one washcloth. It doesn't show the pattern as well, but then, I made a mistake that I am hoping my perfectionist little sister doesn't notice. (She knitted years ago, when I thought I couldn't) She seemed overjoyed that I had knit it myself, though! Then she said she gave the soap to her dh because she is allergic to it..I had anticipated that possibility, though. I need to find a mild nice smelling soap she can use! Maybe you should just swatch a bit of the pattern and see how it does. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  10:28:48 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi Barb, thanks for the tip. Swatching a washcloth would be an excellent way to try new stitches. The chenille yarn is yummy, by the way. I tried the tip (sorry, I forget who mentioned it) of rubbing the yarn for a few seconds and this particular yarn held up fine. I bought a cone of it from a seller on ebay and have no idea what brand it is or I would definitely buy some more. Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  12:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Isn't it dreadful when you fall in love with an incognito, un-named yarn? Try taking it to an LYS and see if they can figure it out for you...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  6:18:42 PM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
I LOVE making dish clothes/wash clothes! And I could spend all my knitting time doing them from the tons of requests that I get from the people I give them to - wanting more! Have any of you tried scrubbies? I knit cotton and tullie (bad spelling) - netting together and make this tough and nifty scrubbie - lasts forever!

I collect wash cloth patterns - can't have enough of them! Knit and crochet - but knitting is the best!

Hurray for wash clothes!
KathyT

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  7:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I knit my cotton chenille wash cloth in a basket weave pattern. It was lusciously beautiful before I used it, all soft and velvety feeling and the pattern was quite distnct. After use it flattened out and since I haven't a dryer to fluff it back up again, it never looks especially cushiony. But it continues to be a delight to wash with.

Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  9:33:13 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Knitted washcloths-- they sound wonderful, but don't they wear out? I guess it never occurred to me to knit household items like dishclothes and washclothes because I just thought they'd get destroyed. (Then again, I used not to knit socks for the same reason... and look at me now! ) I like the idea of a very soft washcloth, though, because my face is very sensitive and gets scraped up by the storebought ones.

Maybe I will go to the LYS Monday and try to get some chenille cotton (I've always wanted to make something with chenille!) and then give it a shot. I know there was a link to washcloth patterns in the Christmas Gifts thread... does anyone know if lacy patterns work as well for washclothes?

As usual, you all continually inspire me. Happy knitting!
Katie

Go to Top of Page

RipKo
Chatty Knitter

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  9:35:04 PM  Show Profile Send RipKo a Private Message
Bess,

Did you use a border on your washcloth? I knit my first cotton chenille washcloth with a garter stitch border and although I love the pattern, I don't really care for the border. I was thinking about doing my next washcloth in a basketweave, and after your post, I know that's what I'll do...just need to decide if I want a border or not.

-Dawn

<:0)
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  05:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Dawn, yes I did use a garter stitch boarder. I liked it too. But as I said, now that the washcloth is in use and must dry on the clothesline, you can't see it very clearly. I almost always put a garter stitch boarder on flat pieces, but now you have prompted me to think about trying some without the boarder.

I did want some texture to the pattern so the cloth would feel stimulating against my skin. It does, but it does not feel rough. It is really a luxury item.

good knitting to you all

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  06:41:34 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Hi all,
Okay, I definitely want to knit/crochet some washcloths. What is the best yarn to use? Is any cotton okay?
Thanks,
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  10:13:07 AM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
I've used several different cottons and they've all worked out. I find I prefer the results with DK weight rather than worsted but that's probably just a personal thing. I've also done some using two strands of Silk City cotton crepe that I like a lot. The texture is a bit more apparent, good for exfoliating or so I figure, but not at all rough. And I'm thrilled with the one cotton chenille cloth I've made so far. I used linen stitch, a woven stitch that gives a bit more substance and may be the reason the cloth is holding up well to usage and washing. The downside is that it's not the most interesting-looking pattern but it feels swell.

Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  11:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
When choosing a cotton for dish cloths or face cloths I tend to rub the ball of yarn against my arm to determine if I think I'd like it. I have found I don't really care for Sugar 'n' Cream yarns - but do like some of the more substantial but funkier cottons.

Here's a photo of one my daughter, who is learning how to knit again, finished today as a gift for me. She's 11.

http://www.jenanne.com/moiradish.jpg

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth