Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Scarves & Shawls
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  3:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Clara, I would like to see a new "Seeking Patterns" topic on shawls & scarves. Perhaps my brain has been seeking this because I have been daydreaming about scarves - for myself, for others, to knit so I can more easily try new stitches, to use up some of my stash (I jumped on the stash bandwagon even as I was barely able to K2P2!), to make "smaller" items so I can finish more of what I start, to save some $ by making smaller items - you get where I am w/this.
The thought of shawls has been sparked by reading the posts of KR shawl makers. I have a couple of friends who would look great in a hand knitted shawl.
What do you all think?
Thank you, Clara, for considering this.

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  3:42:39 PM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
marfa,

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I'd love to try my hand at knitting a shawl. I've made quite a few scarves, but new patterns and stitches are always fun to try.

Ana
Knitting in Oklahoma City

Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
I'll put in a vote for this I've made a couple of scarves and have a couple of lace shawl patterns I am trying to get up the nerve to do.

Christy

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  11:51:37 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
I am a total wrap/shawl fan. I just finished a wrap in yarn that my DH's grandmother had given me. I did crochet it though......no yelling. It came out so beautifully in a really easy open pattern.
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  2:19:12 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I think shawls are really making a comeback for this fall's fashions. I made a shawl last spring from some white curly wool I got at the MD Sheep and Wool festival. It was a triangular shape on 10s that started with 3 stitches and then you increase every other row in garter stitch. It knit up fast! It looks great! I wore it with a blue linen dress to a wedding in early June, and got a lot of comments on it.

Scarves and Shawls would be fun to hear about.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  2:49:04 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I really like shawls as well. I'm making a pretty shawl for my MIL's Christmas present. I used Carodan Farms wool in the color "blue loch." It's a simple garter stitch that began at the point with yarn overs every second row. I'd like to make myself one just like it. Happy knitting.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  3:34:59 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
I've been out of scarf mode for a while, but re-entering it this week-end brought this conversation to mind. I'd decided to make a special scarf for a friend's 50th bday later this month. Went to a local LYS which is well-stocked in both yarns and books/pattern magazines. Perused the yarns (forever! Heaven!) before narrowing my choices down to four yarns, each very different but lovely. Hit the books and mags, knowing that a pattern would make one of those four yarns just jump out as THE CHOICE.

Wrong. Sweater inspiration out the window, sock inspiration, hat inspiration...even much glove and mitten inspiration. But scarves? I had never really noticed how precious little is there. Only two books covered scarves and shawls and they skewed very heavily to shawls...my friend probably wouldn't be caught dead in a shawl. And lace...no "probably" as to her unlikelihood to wear lace. The occasional scarf pattern in the magazines seemed to be very sporty and youthful. So I picked a yarn based solely on color and feel with no plan in mind.

Came home and attacked my books. All kinds of lovely stitch patterns but what does the wrong side look like? Gotta think about that in a scarf. A web search yielded precious little...except one site which I'll post below. Reversible patterns pulled from Barbara G. Walker's first two treasuries. No pix, but loads of stitch patterns. I've been salivating over those books but hadn't been able to justify a purchase. Today I justified it. Chose the first one. Matched up the site's patterns to the ones in the book and instead of being patternless I am faced with an embarrassment of riches among which to choose.

So I guess this is a long-winded way of saying a Scarf & Shawl spot here would be helpful. And also that Walker's books are a great help. Probably could have read through them myself to find the reversible patterns but it was so nice to have someone do it already.

http://cs.oswego.edu/~ebozak/knit/esb-patterns/reversible-sts.html

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  10:42:05 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
I went to a LYS (1 hour away - it's as local as it gets here ). They had on display a beautiful scarf. It was made with two types of yarn, one being an eyelash. I want to go back and get the yarns. Wasn't in my budget that day. I want to make one for my mom for Christmas. It was so eye catching. The yarn for it costs about $35 for the 2 types. The scarf looked like it would have cost at least $75 in a store. It is simply knit in garter stitch, so there is no wrong side. The woman there said it knits up in no time.
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi Dot, thanks for posting the link. I did the same thing you did when I made 2 scarves for my sister last Christmas. I took out Barbara Walker's Treasury books and just kept searching for the "right" pattern. That was fun all by itself! You gotta hand it to the lady...she really knew what knitters want, endless possibilities. I printed the list from the link you provided to keep in the front flap of "First Treasury." Emaruottolo, what kind of yarn did you find? I'm intrigued. Happy knitting!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  12:13:46 PM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
I will post the names of the yarns when I go back to the store and find out what it is again. The memory isn't what it used to be.
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  3:55:38 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
Kepcake, that's funny. As soon as I got home with the Walker book yesterday I did what you did. Went to that site and put the list of patterns and page numbers right in the front of the book. This afternoon I swatched a sampler using several of the patterns and I THINK I've picked one. Then, there are a few others I feel compelled to experiment with. Lots of fun.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe