Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Anyone ever knit something for seaman
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  6:43:43 PM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
Seamen's Church Institute has a program where you can knit sweaters, scarfs, mittens and hats for seamen who work on the open seas during the winter months. I have requested some information and I just wondered if anyone else has done something with this organization or something like it.

Thanks. KathyT

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  6:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, I am married to a former sailor, and I have knit for him. Does that count?? But, I had heard of another group that makes stuff for seamen, too, socks, etc. I would like to do things like that. I already do make hats, socks and scarves and some of them go to a charity type of thing locally.

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  6:12:15 PM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
Well, this is what I found out about and the website about it. It's called "Christmas-at-Sea" a program of the Seamen's Church Institute of NY and NJ. An ecumentical not-for-profit organization found in 1834. It's most beloved program is the Christmas-at-sea which supplies gift packages to deep-sea and river mariners working on Christmas Day. The highlight of each package is a hand knit vest, watch cap, and scarf set or socks.

Here's the website for anyone interested:

http://www.seamenschurch.org/cas.htm

Sorry, I don't know how to do the link thingie!

KathyT

Go to Top of Page

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  6:13:14 PM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
Oh! It linked for me without me knowing it! Great!
KathyT

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  9:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Thanks, Kathy, it worked for me, too. I printed the sock and cap patterns. I am trying to start a group of ladies making things for people, so maybe they would like to do this, too. Barb

Go to Top of Page

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  12:46:03 PM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
Barb: I have started the watch cap - the patterns are so easy that this is a great project to work on when I am a little tired and don't want to work on something complicated but want to knit something - I don't want to call knitting mindless, but I think you know what I mean!

I will probably only get a few things done by Christmas (I don't see on the website that there is any deadline as to when to have these done by....) but I am sure whatever we send will be appreciated!

I think having a group do something like this is a great idea - and the patterns are easy enough for beginners as my 11 year old is making a scarf!

KathyT

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  4:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Sounds good. I will be gone to camp this week to work, so may take the watch cap pattern and some yarn along, for something easy to do during quiet times. Barb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?