Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Are these for other people, or ourselves?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2002 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
I've been knitting mostly for others (so far I have a hat for myself, the matching scarf is still in skein form) and now that I have a new baby niece I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of baby knits . . .

My Mother-in-law and knitting mentor told me she quit knitting for many years since no one appreciated what she was making for them. She started again about 10 years ago and is still making things almost exclusively for others. 2 years ago for her birthday I bought her these giant skeins of very fancy (and expensive) boucle yarns in a hand-dyed purply maroon color. I told her the only restriction on how she used it was she had to make something for herself! She eventually did make herself a very pretty cardigan but I haven't seen her wear it yet!

I have plans to make myself the Irish Aran Shawl (with pockets to hold my projects) from the Folk Shawl book I bought recent . . . just as soon as I finish this baby set . . .

; ) Martheme

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Talk about great timing! My dad came to visit us last October. I hadn't seen him since before my nine-year old was born, so when he asked me to make him the sailor bear from the front of Debbie Bliss' book, I said yes.

His health isn't the best, so everytime I worked on other projects, I felt guilty. Also, the pattern could have been written better. BUT! I really hunkered down last week and started putting it all together. I spent two mornings at The Bears of Blessingville, where the owner helped me to put the bear together. It really looks nice. In fact, I just found out that it took the sweepstakes ribbon at our local 4-H fair in the Teddy Bear Division! And yesterday was my dad's birthday!

So I'm really looking forward to giving this to my dad, even though it will be through the mail. And I guess that's why we all knit so much for other people. It really is a great feeling.

Now I'm going to go finish my Counterpane Purse that I started two years ago and is one of the very few things I've made, or started, for myself. Then I'll start on socks for the family

The reason you have great timing, Clara, is because it was while I was putting the bear together that I made the decision to start knitting more for myself. Right after I make all of us some socks!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by