Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Are these for other people, or ourselves?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  07:17:20 AM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
Like BooksAngel, I tend to be deadline driven. When I am knitting for someone else and I have a end date in mind, birth, birthday, Christmas, etc. I am much more likely to keep working at the project, even it if gets a little boring. The challenge of meeting the deadline gets me going. If the gift is for a baby or child, I have even more incentive to get it done on time before he/she out grows it.

I think also the whole process of planning, picking a pattern and a yarn, colors, appeals to me. It is easy to select something for myself, it is more of a challenge to search out just the right pattern, yarn, color to appeal to someone else and that I will enjoy knitting.

When I was younger and my friends didn't have children yet and I knit sweaters exclusively, I use to mostly make things for myself but I also would go into long knitting hiatuses (which I still wear today). Since it was for me, I knew that I would finish it sometime and the deadline pressure wasn't there.

About 2 years ago, I started a relatively simple sweater for myself in a yarn I splurged on. While I have knit countless baby gifts, toddler sweaters, socks and scarves for presents, in that time, the sweater is still unfinished. I just need to do about an inch on the sleeve, sew it together and knit the neck but I haven't done it yet.

BooksAngel if you find a solution to this problem, let me know!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Teri
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  07:48:17 AM  Show Profile Send Teri a Private Message
Hi All,

I do most of my knitting for myself and my DH and two DS. Perhaps because I want to be able to control the care of the things I worked so hard and got so much pleasure from producing. Perhaps because I want to keep them around so I can have the pleasure of seeing them at will. Also I enjoy wearing things I've made.

I did make a sweater for my neighbor's new baby.

Teri

Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I think I do about 50/50. At least, if you average it over time. I tend to go in spurts - I will go nuts making handmade Christmas or birthday presents and then suddenly realize I have been giving everything away and start something just for me. I will also admit to giving away finished projects that don't thrill me as much when they are all done as I thought they would. I am currently making a crocheted shawl in a pretty cream colored pineapple pattern. It is lovely, but if I am honest I know that I wouldn't wear it very often and I think my aunt will end up getting it for Christmas. I still get the fun of making it, right?
Lin

Go to Top of Page

similees
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile Send similees a Private Message
I find that I am constantly making socks with no particular recipient in mind....a drawer full awaits any gift giving occasion. MY DH will wear socks, but not sweaters - here in Southern California, we very seldom need more than a light jacket! I have made dozens of afghans for others, but only have one in my own home, a scrap Rambling Rows. I guess I need to look around and see what I can do for myself and my own household!

Cindy :-)
similees@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  08:51:19 AM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
Like a lot of you, I think I give away lots of my knitting, but for the rather selfish purpose of showing off! Not that many people can knit anymore, and no one I know well can knit as well as I do. Mind you, that's not saying much, I'm barely advanced beginner in real knitter terms, but when I gave all my co-workers hats for Christmas this year they were all delighted and impressed. The hats were the roll brim kind, made double stranded with half-balls from my stash on #10 circulars. They cost me nothing, lightened my stash, took under three hours each, and gave me stress-relief during final-paper writing. For that I got thanks and praise! That is what's known as a win-win situation.

I do tend to keep most of the big things I knit (i.e. sweaters) and give away the small projects I do for fun and stash-busting. This keeps me from feeling like either a pig or a martyr. I like making fast things like hats and simple laces scarves and basic socks, but to justify all the sock yarn I've felt compelled to buy in the last year I'd need a dozen pairs of feet!

Go to Top of Page

PatC
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  09:15:30 AM  Show Profile Send PatC a Private Message
When my husband sees me starting a new project he always asks me who it's for. I used to feel guilty (the big G as my family calls it)if it was for me. I have learned to happily, nay gustily, say it's for me.

Finding a beautiful Jo Sharp sweater I knit for my daughter in her closet after she left for college made me reassess. I taught her to knit-let her knit her own J.Crew type sweaters!

Same thing goes for additions to my stash! When DH last asks me if I really needed more yarn I tell him yes! Knitting is my hobby. I've been knitting for 45 and it's been one of the things that has kept me sane in the rough spots.

PatC
Go to Top of Page

lorirae
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  10:15:24 AM  Show Profile Send lorirae a Private Message
In my early years I knit almost exclusively for others. Returning to knitting after nearly a ten year hiatus (unless you count dish clothes) I realized I had very little to show for the knitting I had done from age 16 to 36. Now I knit almost exclusively for myself unless it is a small project like socks or dishclothes.
The other thing I have notice with my return is that I have even less control over "stash" building and am even worse at project completion. Since nearly everything is for me, I'm not missing any deadlines or disappointing anyone else if something doesn't get completed. So now I actually have three stashes. One of new yarn, another of patterns and magazines and the third of WIPs!
Help! I'm incorrigible . . .
Lori

Go to Top of Page

OxfordGail
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  1:39:11 PM  Show Profile Send OxfordGail a Private Message
I knit both for myself and for others, but I finish more projects that are intended for someone else than I do ones I start for myself. A deadline and eager recipient helps keep me focussed. Of course, most years someone gets the infamous unfinished Christmas gift. A finished sock and one still on the needles or the cabled sweater vest pieces. Those gifts are always completed in another week or two, but in the busy season before the holidays it's hard to get everything done (yes I should start sooner, but that would take away all the challenge . For myself the deadlines are mostly a bit lax, except for the big Aran sweater I promised to finish before I hit menopause (because it would be too warm to wear with hot flashes!). It took five years of knitting (off and on - who want to work on a heavy wool sweater in 95 degree weather?) but I made my goal!

Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
It seems that always when I start a sweater for myself, someone else wants something for themselves, a friend, a family member, the dog! And always my thing gets put on the shelf for later. Sometimes I think it's a mommy thing and I have become mommy to the world. Other times I think it's a doormat thing. Luckily for me no one I know likes shawls (there's no accounting for taste!) and I do so if someone asks, I tell them I'm making a shawl. Then they leave me alone. Maybe it's just a sweater thing!

Go to Top of Page

m2stewart@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  3:48:32 PM  Show Profile Send m2stewart@aol.com a Private Message
I know that I like to knit lovely things for people that I care about. It's a way of sending love in the form of a beautiful warm sweater or a welcome to a new baby with an adorable little layette. I know that the people who have received the things I've made really appreciate them and enjoy the compliments they get. I really like hearing about co-workers who are amazed that "Your (wife, sister, daughter, auntie, friend) made THAT??? It's beautiful!!" Sadly, I have only 3 sweaters made by my own hand. However, my family is beautifully clothed in hand knit sweaters and socks. And yes, every time I start a sweater for myself, someone is having a baby, or an existing baby has outgrown the last sweater, or getting married and a beautiful throw in the colors of their new living room would be just perfect...so all my unfinished projects are the ones for me.
Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  8:43:53 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
I haven't knit much of anything for myself either. I've made a couple of afghans to keep through the years (and it's time for a new one!). I primarily do needlework to sell at craft fairs, but I do a whole lot of knitting for friends (three of whom decided to have babies in the last year). I have made a sweater for myself; it was just something that I "had to do" to feel satisfied. I ended up knitting it twice--you really have to put the sleeves in correctly in order to wear the sweater!!!! My daughter has warned me not to make another one--too much stress on the rest of the family.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  8:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Most of my knitting has been for others, but I did make myself a pair of scoks a few months ago. I do want to make ME a sweater someday, but one thing about New Mexico, we don't want many sweaters to wear, and I am hot natured, too. Probably will make a cotton or cotton blend one for me! I have a sweater in the works for dh, dd, and dgd, and have made one for ds. Other than that, it's been mostly dishcloths, afghans, and socks and hats for gifts. I would like some things for me though, as I am hard to fit, being long-waisted. I have always sewn my own clothes, too. Since we homeschool, my dd has learned to do a lot of the same things, and has made about an equal amount of things for her self and others.

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

susanne
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  07:07:08 AM  Show Profile Send susanne a Private Message
This question has certainly generated a lot of conversation! I don't think its at all selfish to knit only for oneself- the experience of giving someone a painstakingly handknit (and expensive) sweater only to have them never wear it would turn anyone off gving knitting away. I knit almost exclusively for the other members of my immediate family- I know what they like, what size they are etc. This way I get to see the sweaters! I agree that there is a certain ego involved in knitting for others- my children look a lot better in their sweaters than I would- and generate a lot of compliments, which I enjoy. I think that the pleasure of knitting is enhanced by thinking about the person you're knitting for, and how much they're going to love it, or be surprised, etc. Still, every winter I wish I had that cardigan I've been meaning to make for myself.

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  10:54:25 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I started kniting again after a 25 year lapse. I never really got into it before, and now I am totally hooked. I've been making Christmas presents so most of what I have done is for others. I do have several projects to make for my self that I am putting off until I get the gifts done. Part of it is that I see so many techniques I want to try that I can't possibly do it all for me. I've been collecting scarf patterns, and how many scarves can one person use? So they are for all my relatives.

I designed a little gift card to give with each gift. I made it on MS Publisher. Nine cards fit on one sheet. They say "Hand Knit Just for You by Anita" Then there is a little box that describes the content of the yarn and care instructions. When I finish all 9 cards I will print it on card stock, cut them apart and laminate them and include them with each gift. They came out very nice, if I do say so myself.

I'm going to make a circular seamless sweater, and the first one will be for me since I've never done it before. It's so hard to keep from starting a dozen things at once.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  4:38:38 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
There for quite a few years I would knit for anyone and everyone but am now alot more choosey before I offer.I like to be sure that they will appreciate the effort put into it(not usually financially) and will also care for it as well.It sounds like I'm putting it up for adoption doesn't itWhat made me that way was I knitted a jersey for a male friend and a short time later he wore it over to my place and it had been ruined in the wash.Not long after that I made two childrens jumpers with pictures on the front and the same thing happened.I mainly knit now for myself and hubby.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  11:24:45 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Pat C: One time my Eugene asked me about something I was knitting and I mumbled something to him which he not only didn't hear did't care as he was watching a sporting event. When he received this great multi colored (five shades of blue) afghan as a present he had no idea when I made it. I think most men ask because they think they should and then go on about sporting events. He traveled in his job and I felt he needed it to have a little of something from home. When I say traveled in his job I mean he would go to Sacramento for eight weeks and stay there, or Los Angeles for a similar length of time. Other places too. Ferndale was a place. You know, the garden spots of the world! Stockton was in there too. There is nothing wrong with these places but lets face it they aren't exactly London, Paris, Rome, Vienna, Half Moon Bay.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  07:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
Interesting answers from everyone.

Me, I like to knit small projects (hats, scarves, gloves, baby things, simple shawl) and therefore try to knit one item for a gift and then one for myself.

I have my first and only sweater (so far) 1/2 completed. Why? Got tired of the color and pattern. So it will sit until I'm ready for it again.

LJ

Go to Top of Page

rdenney@startribune.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  2:56:05 PM  Show Profile Send rdenney@startribune.com a Private Message
My knitting projects tend to be for others, but they are always for myself, as well. I had a knitting 'ringleader' who said I was a process person -- my satisfaction comes in the making of the item. The icing on the cake is the happy surprise on the recipient's face when they (finally) receive it. However, that isn't to say that I haven't kept a few things for myself! ;)

Ruth Denney
Go to Top of Page

jgetha
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  6:22:09 PM  Show Profile Send jgetha a Private Message
A few days ago, Bess said:
quote:

Can't speak for others, but i do like to knit for myself and at least half of what I make is for me. ...No surprises, because if i work that hard on something I want to be sure the recipient will like it.

Bess, that sounds just like me. I've learned that if someone says "I don't wear sweaters" or "I won't wear wool socks" I sould BELIEVE THEM. Knocking yourself out for weeks or months to make something for a loved one is very flattening when it goes in their drawer and they never wear it. So now I mostly make things for myself or the people who ASK for something. There's plenty to keep me busy!
For example, current projects include:
socks for son (who asked for 'em)
socks for husband (who might wear them if he never knows they are wool)
four different sweaters for me
socks for me
baby blanket for new mom at church
stuff to sell at craft fairs (on the drawing board)
Joy

Go to Top of Page

ms_little
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  8:45:11 PM  Show Profile Send ms_little a Private Message
I usually buy yarns and patterns for myself but if friends and family ask me to make them something, I'm more than happy to knit it if I find the pattern interesting. I just returned from a holiday to Tokyo last week where I bought a whole bunch of beautiful yarns for myself. However, if they are suitable I won't think twice about using it for a project for someone else. I can't wait to get some free time this week to swatch my new yarns!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?