Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Knitter's Stash
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  08:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
To read the review first, go to:

http://knittersreview.com/goto.asp?goto=KnittersStash

OK, so was I too harsh on the book? I did like the patterns, and I thought it was a great concept for a book. I'm also glad that they gave shop owners long-overdue recognition for their designs. But I really do wish:

a) There had been more depth to the profiles, and
b) They had the budget to send a photographer around the country to shoot each shop.

That would've made it an absolute classic. Still, I did enjoy Melanie Falick's preface and Barbara Albright's introduction.

Anyone else have a reaction to the book? Do you think I was totally off target? Do you agree? Talk, talk!

Clara
Knitter's Review Publisher

LFall
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  09:58:06 AM  Show Profile Send LFall a Private Message
I enjoyed perusing the book and was not bothered by the poor photos of the shops themselves. I am always more interested in the actual garments. My only criticism is that they left out a whole state (or commonwealth to be precise) in their yarn shop directory!!! VIRGINIA!!! We certainly DO have some great yarn shops in this state.

Go to Top of Page

cashgora
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile Send cashgora a Private Message
this time i really have to disagree with you. twice i checked this book out at the yarn shop hoping to find more than i did &, unfortunately, only finding primarily what i had expected. for a book of this price i apply a general rule of thumb: if you can't find at least 5 patterns you can't wait to make, the book isn't worth the price. while i did find a couple of nice patterns that could offer some challenge, most were common, basic "designs" that can be found in all too many books already on the market. if you're a beginning knitter or someone looking for basic patterns to experiment in making your first design changes, such as using a different stitch from a knitting dictionary, this may be just what you're looking for. if you want challenge &/or something truly unusual & one-of-a-kind, i'm sorry but i say look elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  11:43:11 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message

Hello Clara & All,

I perused this book with much anticipation and I must agree that the sepia tone photos were a big disappointment. It would have been a good idea to have names with the photos identifying just who is who in the pictures.

However I do think that there were projects for everyone, the beginner, the intermediate, and the advanced alike! Also, it's a great concept to have a reference book like this to take along if you plan to do any traveling at all so that you could visit one of these great shops. Does it get any better than that for a "dyed in the wool" knitaholic?

Go to Top of Page

homefireknits
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  5:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit homefireknits's Homepage  Send homefireknits a Yahoo! Message Send homefireknits a Private Message

I knew there was something about the book that I didn't like and you've helped me identify what it is. The lack of color and small shop pictures is it. I really liked the projects included, however, and am happy I purchased it. I love books, and especially those that have to do with knitting. I don't like to collect books that are from one designer - especially those that stick with one inspiration - such as Tudor Roses. What a waste of my money! I ordered it from my LYS and was very disappointed when it came. I probably won't make anything from that book. Knitter's Stash has several projects I will attempt. Overall, I really like owning this book!

Homefireknits
No St Paul, MN
Go to Top of Page

jolager
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2001 :  12:57:15 PM  Show Profile Send jolager a Private Message
I looked at this book while I was at a Fiber Fair, and I was disappointed, too, that the shops and the designers seemed to fade into the background. There were several interesting patterns, but at the price and without good stories to read about the designers and the shops, it didn't make it into my shopping budget. It is on my wishlist, though. I'd love to make one of the sweaters with the wonderfully soft alpaca yarn that I bought at the fiber fair. I think I will probably use the idea as a take-off point and improvise.

I do appreciate Interweave's Press to recognize the yarn shops and designers across the country.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2002 :  07:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Nope. I think you hit the bullseye. A great idea. very good designs, basic but clear, timeless too.

It was my Christmas read and each night I'd go over a couple of shops before going to sleep. the most serious criticism was that often you couldn't even tell who the owner/designer was because the photo was a group shot. *that* would have cost nothing to put in.

I looked at this book several times before finally deciding to buy it for the library. It is not a book i would want to own because more and more I am interested in either background or technique rather than specific patterns. (and yes i know there were techniques worked into the patterns) I did like the tips scattered along the margins. Since most of my knitting patrons do like having new patterns added to the collection I felt comfortable about buying this one. We already have most of the classic technique books.

Wish there had been more depth in the interviews, but there certainly was enough meat to tempt me to stop in any one of those stores if I ever found myself nearby. And of course, there should have been a Virginia shop reviewed (harumph).

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2002 :  11:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
When I first heard about this book, I thought, "wow great someone has written a book on how to use up some of those half balls of yarn that I have lying around and know I won't use for any future projects." I thought maybe there would be cute potholder patterns or maybe an afghan, but I was very wrong. I think the title is a bit misleading. When I found out what it was really about, I was disappointed. I'm sure it's a nice book, but I want some creative little projects for that extra yarn. Don't worry, I save yarn for repairs, but I want to use some of my leftover extra yarn.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe