Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Happy happy happy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  11:29:51 AM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
I just finished the sweater I'd been working on almost exclusively for the past 2 and a half weeks and I am happy happy happy!! It's a lavender pullover with an off-the-shoulder neckline made in cotton fleece from a Rowan pattern called Glee, which I downloaded from the Kangaroo web site (http://www.kangaroo.uk.com/rowan/patterns.asp). This is the very first "proper" sweater I've ever made, with increases and decreases and set in sleeves and a knitted neckline, so I'm very excited about the whole thing. It turned out pretty well, and I learned so much while making it. Only bad thing is I won't be able to wear it until after the summer!

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  12:14:50 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Digknit: Congrats on your finished project. I bet you have a real sense of accomplishment. Its a shame you can't wear it until after summer. Not knowing where you are I presume that it is too warm to wear now. In San Francisco (I was just out) its not all that warm in summer so we can wear anything anytime--usually winter clothes. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Kathe
Chatty Knitter

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  8:59:53 PM  Show Profile Send Kathe a Private Message
Congratulations on your first "proper" sweater. Isn't it exciting?
You deserve to do the happy dance. Keep up the good work.

Kathe

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  9:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
That's great that you finished your sweater. I can't imagine finishing one so fast, but I have only made one, and, also, it may have something to do with my having several projects going at once??? I did finish the size 13 socks for my ds's 21st birthday on the 21st--early, even! I am slowly working on a sweater for my granddaughter, and have started on for my dh. And, Bev, you are almost convincing me to move. It has been cooler here for a few days, which is great, but usually it is in the 90's all summer, even in September. I am rather hot natured, so it really gets to me. Thank goodness I get to go to camp in 15 days, up in the cooler mountains! We did have a little rain today, off and on drizzle. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  11:02:36 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Barb: Today my computer told me it was 69 in SF. I don't know where as I was not only in my own neighborhood but I went to Civic Center to go to the "Wednesday Market" that about 20 years ago decided to open on Sunday for the summer. I must tell you its been one long, long summer--love that market. Be that as it may, it wasn't any 69 there either--more like 60. I think they take the temperature at Mission Dolores which is in the most sheltered part of town and thats it for us. We do get some hot days in September, about the end--you know 90, 95, 98 perhaps three or four days running and then it will hit oh, lets say 95 or 96 at about noon and by 3 PM its down to 60. I kid you not--it drops that fast. Actually it is pretty moderate here all year long and about the coldest it gets in the winter is sometimes 35 or 36 at midnight or shortly after, but rarely during the day. Now that I have given you a course in weather in the BIG CITY IN THE FAR WEST aren't you sorry you brought up the subject. Take care. Have grand fun in the mountains. If your camp is anything like the Girl Scout camp I went to when I was a kid back in the dark ages it will be fun. We slept outside on the ground in sleeping bags and decided that the Boy Scouts down the road a piece were a bunch of sissies because they slept in tents on cots!! Isn't it funny what you remember from when you were a kid.
Beverley (had to send you those smilies!)

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  11:04:46 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
PS to Barb: Perhaps my rain dance worked even if it is only a drizzle. We get that lots and call it fog. Bev

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  12:00:09 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Have a nice holiday Barb.Are you going to try to sneak the computer into the back of the car to keep in touch.Well done Dignit on finishing your jersey.It's a great feeling of achievement isn't it?
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

lavender
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile Send lavender a Private Message
I just checked out that site with your pattern, dignit. Very cute sweater. I really like the one under it too. However, I would rather make it without the beads. Would there be a way to change the pattern so one could just knit the top without beads? I'm going to download the one dignit made too.

Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  09:06:14 AM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
Hi Lavender,
I downloaded the beaded sweater too, also thinking of knitting it without the beads, which are a nice idea, but sounds like a nightmare to do. I don't think there would be a problem in leaving the beads out, you just knit the stitch without slipping the bead in.
Kangaroo is a good place to buy English yarns btw, in case you ever want to try any of them out, and much cheaper (even with the shipping) than buying in the US. I'm working on a baby blanket in Debbie Bliss cotton dk yarn, and it is just the loveliest stuff.
Bev, maybe I should come visit SF - love that city! - so I can wear my sweater. I was there once in June and it was freakishly hot, around 80-85 the three days I was there. I'm in NJ and we've been sweltering in 90+ degree heat and high humidity.

Go to Top of Page

lavender
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile Send lavender a Private Message
Maybe I'm just dense, but what yarn do they suggest using for our "beadless" sweater? I skimmed through the pattern, but I didn't see it written. Did I overlook it? I just saw a gauge, which of course, I hadn't figured out from the info given what weight the yarn should be.

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  09:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, everyone, actually Bev, I think I would like your weather. The temp. drops down at night here, not at 3:00 p.m. like yours, but it drops sometimes 30 or 40 degrees at night, which does help to make the heat bearable. You stay in the air conditioner during the afternoon, and go out early or late in the day. Your fog might bother me, we rarely get that here, maybe once in 8 years! We had fog often in Georgia, thick pea soup stuff. Marjorie, I didn't even think about my computer..can't take it to camp, although the camp directors have internet in their office, but I wouldn't know how to find my email on it...oh,well, I will be busy working with kids, and having fun outside. I hope it rains enough before then that they let us go hiking in the woods! None of the camps so far have been allowed to do that...Forest rangers won't let them. The week we are going it is usually rainy enough that we have to switch our schedule to go hiking in the mornings before the afternoon rains. Lavendar, I like those sweaters, too. From what I understand, all you have to do with the beads is thread them on the yarn and then pull one up as you need it on the stitch. My dd, 11, did that with crochet when she made head scarves(kerchiefs) for her friends and herself. I was wondering if you have to be more careful in washing something with beads. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

lavender
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  09:54:57 AM  Show Profile Send lavender a Private Message
Yeah, even if I figured out how to knit with the beads, I would never wear anything with beads all over it. LOL! I'm a little too boring for that. I like that sweater for it's shape and fit.

Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  1:21:11 PM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
I looked at the pattern and it calls for Rowan DK Soft yarn, which is a discontinued yarn, don't you know. I presume it's a DK or double-knitting yarn, which is like a light worsted yarn, with a gauge of about 4.5 stitches to the inch on #5-6 needles.
Lavender, how's your 1824 cotton shell going, btw?

Go to Top of Page

lavender
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  2:37:04 PM  Show Profile Send lavender a Private Message
Uhhhh....the top....well, the gauge swatch came out great. I haven't started the sweater itself because of other projects. I am getting close to finishing the afghan I am crocheting for my dad's birthday, coming up in August. This past weekend, my mom helped me tie the quilt I am making for my husband's birthday (that was last February). I am finishing up sewing the edges now, and it will be done. I swear I will report when the sweater begins. I'm almost embarrassed about taking so long to start it!

Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  07:32:39 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Congratulations on finishing your first sweater! I remember how exciting that is, and I started with tiny little sweaters that went quickly. Not at all like the plus-size sweater for moi that is sitting on the sidelines for months, now, reproaching me. I think that I will be as happy as I was when I finished my first toddler sweater. I cannot believe how quickly you did yours. Enjoy it!

By the way, I seem to have a habit of finishing things just after the season for them has passed. It's very frustrating. I finished my husband's cable sweater in March (right when the weather turned warm!)

Bask in the glow of your accomplishment!

Carin

Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  5:03:08 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
Congrats, congrats on your sweater. I remember my first (and only so far) sweater. I made it twice (the first time I didn't "properly" set the sleeves in--figured it wasn't that precise a science). My daughter has since requested that I not make another sweater because the stress on the rest of the family is too great.
anotherbev

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?