Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Bad Knitting Habits
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  05:20:23 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I guess confession is good for the soul, because you all are definitely getting it off your chest!

I never kept a knitting journal, I didn't realize I was supposed to.

Knitting is for fun and that's how I look at it. It is not my job just a serious hobby and creative outlet for me.

I also use the gentle cycle and cool water if I must wash a knitted piece. Is that so terrible???

Sometimes I pick up a stitch between stitches to make the count come out correctly. Nobody knows, do they???

I don't roll balls of yarn 100% of the time from skeins. Usually, Lamb's pride comes out of the skein very nicely, thank you.

I can knit and tune people out around me, too, and can get pretty distant if I want to. It's my world isn't it????

Life is short, work hard, play hard,

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  09:35:26 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Rebecca: Sounds good to me. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
Lets see, I don't have a journal really either. I would like one, just haven't gotten to it yet. I do not make swatches unless I absolutely have too, and I also have picked up stitches between to make my count come out right (on scarves anyway). And I still have not done a sweater yet because they scare me, someone has to actually fit it correctly
ah, its good to be able to confess
Christy
smilies are fun

Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  10:25:14 AM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
I am beginning to wonder if I might have a bad habit of reading KR on the computer all morning instead of getting any knitting done.

NAH!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  2:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Bless me knitters, for I have sinned...

I do not keep a knitting, or any other, kind of journal. If I kept track of my yarn stash or UFOs I might feel inhibited about adding to the stash or guilt about too many UFOs, and what would be the fun in THAT? If I want to feel bad about something I can look at my VISA bill this month.

Since I figured out many moons ago that I usually have to go down a needle size to get the right gauge, I often blow off swatching. I'll start the pattern with a smaller needle and check the gauge after knitting a few inches - it usually works just fine. If it doesn't, I rip it and start over. Big deal.

Knitting is my hobby, not my job, I do it to relax, and I am not ashamed to be a knitting underachiever. I can admire those of you who produce works of art in intarsia, miles of lace that makes me go blind just thinking about it, and other feats of knitting magic, applaud the genuine artistic talent it takes, and pour a glass of wine, pop in a DVD and spend my evenings on an entire sweater in one color of stockinette without a twinge of envy or guilt. If I can't work on it while watching television, carrying on a conversation and enjoying a glass of wine, I don't really need to do it. I don't want a hobby that feels like work, I have enough actual work that feels like work.

On that note, I've been known to get 3/4 through a sweater and decide I hate it and rip the damn thing out. If it's not right, it's not right, and I don't need to spend my time suffering through it.

I do not painstakingly block every knitted item the way the directions say to do. Only if it really looks like crap, and then I take shortcuts.

And yes, I wash "hand wash only" knitted items in the machine, in a sweater bag, cold water, on gentle. Haven't destroyed anything yet.

This is, of course, a totally phony and rote confession since I have no genuine desire to repent any of my many knitting sins.

And for my "penance" I think I'll go bid on more yarn on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  8:16:01 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Bless me knitters, for I know I've sinned after reading Catherine M's post.

I am entirely too rigid about my knitting, my knitting abilities/or lack thereof, and in so doing, I wind up not enjoying my craft as much as I should be. Now there!! I've confessed my obsession with perfection and this is not a good thing (sorry Martha).

I like the way you look at knitting Catherine and that is the way it should be....it's a pastime that is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable, not nail biting and nerve wracking, right?

I just finished a pair of Koigu socks and had a devil of a time with finishing of the last one, just a few nights ago. Well....there I sat ripping out these miniscule stitches till I was blue in the face. Yes, it did need to be ripped out but did I have to feel so lousy about it and lose all the joy in my accomplishment after all? A resounding NO, no way!

Other than being too darned uptight, I'm not aware of any other sins, but could it be that convenient forgetfulness? Anyway girls, what should I do for my penance, I ask?

Warmest Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

betsy_who_plays_with_string
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  9:50:36 PM  Show Profile Send betsy_who_plays_with_string a Private Message
Ok, I get to tell the truth!

I have a lot of UFOs. They may stay that way. I also have a lot of yarn. And books. And needles.

I must swatch...mostly because I am not a relaxed knitter, I am practically comatose, so I not only have to go down 2 or 3 needle sizes, I usually have to go down a yarn weight too. I am knitting a 16 stitches=4" gauge with DK weight yarn and 4.5mm needles right now!

I never saw "American knitting" until I went to Stitches West this spring. Thoses places are dangerous. My husband called me on the phone right before I bought enough Trendsetter yarn to build a sweater...I thanked him for interupting that transaction! ($$$!)

Journal Schmournal. How many things are you gonna make more than once, anyhow? Other than socks and baby sweaters, I mean. You got the direction right the first time, didn't you? Trust yourself to get it right again!

I use Wool-Ease...for baby stuff, or stuff my husband might try to wash.

I use my Bond for large sections of stockinette.

I would leave it all over the house if I thought I could get away with it.

Machine wash, but not as gutsy as many of you...I use that Eucalan, which you don't even have to rinse out, and just follow the directions.

Always have more imagination than time....

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  04:19:51 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
AMEN!

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  11:46:16 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Catherine - I am going to print out your post and stick it in my knitting bag to remind me that I'm supposed to be having fun! Actually, I do have fun but lately I've been feeling bad about not doing more complicated stuff - but now that I've read your post, the bad feelings are gone.

quote:
If I can't work on it while watching television, carrying on a conversation and enjoying a glass of wine, I don't really need to do it. I don't want a hobby that feels like work, I have enough actual work that feels like work.
That is going to be my knitting mantra from now on.

Thanks for your post!
Jessica

Go to Top of Page

FibersFan
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  7:06:26 PM  Show Profile Send FibersFan a Private Message
Journal??!!
Really...people do that?

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  8:01:20 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Fibersfan: Welcome to the forums. Journals? You would be amazed at the number of people who keep them. Me? There are a lot of things of which I can be accused, keeping a journal isn't one. A friend told me sometime back in the dark ages that I should keep a journal and every day write down five wonderful things that happened to me at work. Let me tell you when you spend eight very long hours in an arm of the Family Law Court you don't have one wonderful thing to write down. I tried this for a week and finally decided--to hell with this and used the journal as a sketch pad. At least I could put it to good use. I cannot tell you the number of trees I sketched. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  8:49:54 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hey I finished 5 UFO's today. And it was so easy too.
Ribbet, ribbet, ribbet,......LOL i figured that if it is a year old, I'm going to eliminate it from now on. I was surprised at how good it felt to tear them apart instead of feeling guilty about them. And now I have all these neat balls of yarn to use.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
quote:

fran how old are your children? Do you treat them as triplets as they are so close? I have 3 1/2 year old GGB triplets who I love to death but just want to survive until they turn 4. (I have been told by many people that there is a big change and they become manageable).
--------------------------------------------------
Just a note from a mother of six and grandmother of 14... they become managable about the time they get married!

How about the bad habit of dumping the work when the going gets tough...or you run out of yarn from being too cheap to buy extra!?

How about the bad habit of losing the pattern and "winging" the rest of the item?

How come my bad habits sound like such major faults?

Allyn
---------------------------------------------------

Mom2aej

Just when you get a handle on life... It changes.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  09:28:49 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
ROFL--Perfect timing.

I just dump most of my UFO's and then Clara asks the poll question about how many UFO's we each have. That makes my answer to the poll show me as much more efficient than I actually am.....LOL

Fram

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  2:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Jessica - you're welcome. I really think it's important to have fun - this is a hobby, and I don't want it to ever feel like another obligation. Knitting is a luxury, really - we could, as many other people do, buy knitted things in stores, and I hear that people who do that actually can lead fulfilling lives, though I find it hard to believe. We should love the pleasure knitting gives us - yes, sometimes you have to push to master a new skill to make something you love, but then the learning isn't too bad - it's not like deciding "Everybody on the knitting board can do intarsia and I can't so I HAVE TO learn!" and forcing yourself to do something new, just "because." I've mastered new skills in the past year, including doing a mean Kitchener stitch and several different cast-ons, but it was fun and useful because I like to make socks and such. However, I am very happy making boring, basic socks because nothing is going to convince me that working with multiple colors and all that stranding is fun. I know I wouldn't have much fun doing that, so I don't, and the nice thing about being a grownup is nobody can make me do it if I don't wanna. This isn't a competition, at least not for me, so I can admire somebody else's work and still have no great urge to do it. Just MHO, and all that jazz.

Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  8:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
Yes, life gets better at 4! You have my complete sympathy, you have 3 "theatrical" 3.5 year olds!! Good luck!
quote:

fran how old are your children? Do you treat them as triplets as they are so close? I have 3 1/2 year old GGB triplets who I love to death but just want to survive until they turn 4. (I have been told by many people that there is a big change and they become manageable).

For those complaining about bad knitting habbits. I'm just lucky to get the time to work on something. Let alone keep track of everything. :).

Mom2aej

Just when you get a handle on life... It changes.

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.