Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Bad Knitting Habits
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
Sometimes the toughest thing about this list is all the really contientious knitters out there! So I'm going to step up and admit a whole bunch of bad habits. Anyone else feeling guilty?

I don't keep a project notebook. I think I can remember all the sweaters I've knitted, but I know I've lost track of most of the hats.

Unless I'm making a sweater (or something equally large), I don't swatch.

I always buy less yarn than the pattern calls for. I'm a small person. I'm also a thrifty person. So I always buy one ball LESS than what the pattern calls for, and size down. This is dangerous. I've been known to unravel my swatch to get those last, vital yards out. Did you know that an entire baby sweater can be made from ONE ball of woolease? Its true. It does, however, require you to unravel the swatch, knit from the top down (thus not wasting valuable inches in weaving ends), and generally have nerves of steel.

I've put everything I've ever knitted for myself in the washing machine. And most of it in the dryer.

I use the same patterns, most of them free from the internet, over and over, rather than try new things. I could go on but...

Anyone else want to own up?

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  11:09:35 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Congratulations, Cedar, you have accomplished the primary rule of knitting. "Do it your way!"

I on the other hand am a failed knitter. I tried keeping jounals and lost them.

I always buy extra yarn because I love doodling with it, and have baskets of partial skeins, I've even been known to buy "partial skeins" on EBAY.

I never buy patterns because I know from experience that I won't follow it. I do buy magazines for inspiration and articles but don't subscribe to any.

I swatch now but didn't for the first 30 years of knitting but also spent most of my time frogging the first 30 years of knitting. I have a few brands of yarn that I have used many times and I don't swatch for those unless it is a pattern stitch that will make a difference in the swatch. By the same token I can recite what guage I will get with worsted weight yarn with every needle size. Do it often enough and you will remember.

I am extremely skilled at finding and correcting mistakes. Guess how I developed those skills.....LOL

I have swatches of experiments all over the place...I call it playing.

If it won't wash and dry by machine, I don't make it. (Being allergic to wool makes it easy to keep that one)

I knit because it is fun. I will not live long enough to knit all the patterns I have calculated on paper and that are lying aroung because I can figure out knitting faster than I can knit.

I write down patterns for sizing and pattern placement. Most of the time I just pick up yarn and needles and wing it, making it up as I go along.

Isn't confession good for the soul?

Fran

Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  7:06:19 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
man, i don't feel so bad now!!! this is me all over!

i never kept a journal. once i counted how many projects i finished in three months. swatch only for yarn i've never used before. i put projects down because i have to ruminate over them if they've misbehaved. i love playing.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  7:43:19 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Gang: Now that we are all out of the closet I am so glad. I have never in my life kept a journal of any kind. I don't save labels and I do buy a tremendous amount of machine wash and dryable yarn as I knit a lot of baby afghans and I have a fisherman's (Aran) knit baby bunting pattern that is not only the most beautiful thing you have ever seen--its easy. I don't think a new mother needs more work than she has with a baby (was going to say new baby but has anyone ever heard of an old baby?Tee hee.) When it comes to buying yarn I always get extra particularly if I am making a baby afghan--I always make it longer so that it easily fits a crib if not something a big longer. I feel if I am doing all that work at least let the kid use it for a while, you know, through college! Because of this I have a closet full of yarn. Well, now that I have sort of confessed--yes, there is more, lots more but you guys don't want to have nightmares. I didn't think I was there alone but one never knows until one takes a step and the rest of us follow along. Beverley

"Be nice to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  7:46:15 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
PS: Can you believe I forgot something? Well I did and its very important. THANK YOU CEDAR!!!Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  09:35:42 AM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
Now, Bev! You know you can not tease us like that! You have to tell us what Baby Bunting Aran pattern that is so beautiful and easy so we can get it and use it too.
Enquiring minds want to know

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Knitkitty: E-mail me your address and I shall send you a copy.Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  7:19:31 PM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
I continually find myself squishing my lips together, or biting the bottom one. Not out of frustration, but probably from thinking and making sure I get my stitches right at the same time. Maybe this will stop in time, but my chapped lips are wishing it was stopped NOW!

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  7:45:47 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Emanonx: Don't let yourself get stressed--in the olden days we called it upset about something, later it was up tight--whatever. Don't do it. Are you aware of the fact that stressed is DESSERTS spelled backwards? Now there is a positive thought. If you make a mistake, don't worry it can be corrected, that's why you use a crochet hook whilst knitting--also that's the reason there is an eraser on a pencil. Tee hee. You need your confidence boosted let me know, I am a person whose tea cup is always half full, never half empty!Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  9:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Bev, I want that pattern, too, please, please, and I know you have my address!! I caught myself doing something tonight that I have done one other time, and I HOPE it does not become a habit. I was knitting a few rows on my ds's green socks(#2) and realized at the end of the row that I had used the wrong needle, so now I had both sides of the sock on one circular needle, and one needle hanging loose in my hand...aargh. That really looks weird, with the needle twisted in funny directions, and kind of stumps a person for a bit, until you realize that all you have to do is slip the stitches last knitted onto the empty needle! Boy, that was a strange thing to do. Now I see why they use different color needles, etc. I think I will go snatch some of Laura's nail polish, and paint the ends of one needle. I was born after Pearl Harbor, but I have an uncle, still with us, who was on shore leave when the Japs hit the Arizona, his ship! He feels bad sometimes about all his buddies who were lost while he was away from the ship, but I know a lot of people who are glad he was away. He's a real sweetheart. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  10:46:03 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Barb: You know I shall put it in the mail directly--that means in the morning. Now, why did you have to get me started on Pearl Harbor--I remember it as though it was yesterday. I must tell you the other day I had to E-mail a talk host on local radio when he was talking about not being over 9/11 as there has been no apology--well, let me tell you, I still am not over Pearl Harbor and there still hasn't been an apology for that either. My long-time friend Alice was out in her backyard with her brother Phil. Their mom was in the house making breakfast for these kids and of course they had been threatened not to get dirty when this took place. Well, let me tell you Mama Kim was out in that yard wondering what they had done only to see something going on--hauled the kids in the house and according to Alice, yanked Papa Kim out of bed. From the foregoing Barb, you get the picture--the Kims were in Honolulu. So was my friend Betty. Alice, Betty and I are all of an age and were about six or seven when this happened so it is very fresh in our minds even though we are old ladies now. Give your uncle a big hug and kiss for me. I worked with a man who was just off duty and always watched the flag raising and ended up in the water--he was one of the lucky ones. Don't ever get me started on the camps in Europe--I know a number of survivors. Anyone who says they got out ok is WRONG--no one was unscathed. Poor souls. I really wonder if we know just how lucky we are. Sorry to ramble but don't I always. I don't know if I ever told you my Eugene was in the CBI (China Burma India) theatre. Your uncle would know this group. They flew the hump. That's it for now. Beverley (no smileys this time)

Just remember, be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live. If you think of that life might be simple.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  02:27:43 AM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
Oh yes! I'll have some more Dessert please :) That's such a cute thought! (Some trivia I might not have ever stumbled upon/realized myself)

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  09:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I will have to send my uncle a hug in the mail for now. He lives in Fla. His wife, my aunt, is one of mom's sisters. My cousin who died recently was the other sister's son. Now, don't get me going, I'll start crying. Steve's Cindy and kids was invited to spend the 4th with Steve's brothers and sisters; they are so sweet. Think of some good things on the 4th! And I will definitely have some more DESSERTS, too!! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  10:42:53 AM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
Whee! I started a successful post!

Anyway, I want the baby aran too - I think you can e-mail me by clicking on my name, right? Or at least respond privately in the forums? All of a sudden this year my friends started getting married in droves. I just know that in the next few years I'm gonna have a mass of baby gifts to knit.

Other bad habits: I don't always ball my hanks (but I always regret it when I don't)

I choose patterns by how much they require me to purl (I hate purling) I want to try EZ's patterns, but I don't have a sewing machine, so steeking's kinda out.

I don't ask for help enough. This is the really bad one, actually. I spent the first 8 months after I learned to knit making squares in every pattern stitch I could find because I thought shaping was beyond me! If I had asked someone for help like the more sensible beginners on this site I could have found experienced knitters like you guys, and been kindly given an easy project. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Cedar: You will have to E-mail me as your E-mail address is hidden. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  12:14:13 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
quote:
snip
I don't think a new mother needs more work than she has with a baby (was going to say new baby but has anyone ever heard of an old baby?Tee hee.) snip
"Be nice to your neighbor, he knows where you live."
Bev

Actually, my mother-in-law had an old baby. When my husband was born, his older sister was not yet 11 months old. I think that made SIL an old baby and DH a new baby!!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Chris: That is an interesting concept. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Dear Bev,

I adopted my three girls and I had an "old" baby who was two months older than her twin sisters. She weighed 11 lbs at 2 months and the little twins were 5 lbs and 6 lbs so she was actually half of my children....LOL A big difference at the beginning but no difference at all by the time they were 18 months.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Mom2aej
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  12:45:47 PM  Show Profile Send Mom2aej a Private Message
fran how old are your children? Do you treat them as triplets as they are so close? I have 3 1/2 year old GGB triplets who I love to death but just want to survive until they turn 4. (I have been told by many people that there is a big change and they become manageable).

For those complaining about bad knitting habbits. I'm just lucky to get the time to work on something. Let alone keep track of everything. :).

Mom2aej

Just when you get a handle on life... It changes.
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  04:14:45 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Okay.Here goes.I have never done a swatch in my knitting life,I love to eat chocolate while knitting and wash ALL woollens on a gentle cycle in my washing machine and can completely turn off to any conversation going on around me if I find the pattern really interesting.Do these count?
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  04:19:09 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Yahoo!!My first smilie face at long last.You've got competition now Bev.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?