Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 KNITTERS AND CATS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  03:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I wondered how many of you have cats and how your cats like your knitting?

I have seen cats being totally unimpressed by loose ends of yarn but my cat, Benny, loves it. He knows when it's time for me to sit down and knit and he's always around. He likes to hide behind my plants pretending he's a tiger in the jungle and then all the sudden he jumps onto some loose ends dangling off the chair. Benny is a very special cat! We adopted him from our Korean neighbors, who took care of him for another military couple that went back to the US but never made arrangements for him to be shipped. My husband is allergic to cats but Benny was still welcome to stay and he has become a very loyal family cat.
He loves to sleep on unfinished sweaters, especially if they're made from wool. He goes to the bathroom with me, he sleeps in my bed. He follows me around the house no matter where I go.

What are your cats like?

Happy Knitting,
DREA who fininshed scarf #2, #3 in work, 9 more to go)
knitter@newsguy.com
http://love2knit.8m.com/
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  07:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I have three feline friends each with different interests in my knitting. Nekko loves the yarn when it moves. She will pounce on it every chance she can. George loves the needles. He enjoys chewing them, especially the cord on circulars. Koshka only likes to lay on any project I am working on. How dare I pay attention to anything other than him.

Oh, well. I like a challenge!

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  6:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Our family is currently graced with four cats. As kittens, most played with the yarn but they are all old folks now. Rarely can they release their catly sense of dignity long enough to play. Cashmere is usually temptation enough! (Ok, they are dignified and expensive kitties!) Our oldest cat is 19, the youngest is 8. I learned a LONG time ago to not keep my knitting or yarn in plastic bags. Seems the crunch of walking on a plastic bag sounds remarkably like the crunch of cat litter... ewwwwwwwwwww That is one surprise I don't wish to experience again.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Tweedles
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  05:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tweedles's Homepage Send Tweedles a Private Message
I posted a similar topic a few weeks ago because it seems like so many kitters have cats and there is the stereotype of an older woman in a rocking chair knitting with a cat at her feet.

I have 4 cats and 1 kitten. My husband has assigned me the task of scaling down -

You can see pics of my kitty-cats on my website - www.birdnest.org/larsenj

Milkshake loves to sleep in my knitting basket; but only after she has thoroughly sniffed each ball of yarn before she lays down.

-Sandi-Cassil

Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  02:36:28 AM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
Oh I love cats. Right now I don't have any, but if I ever get my own place then I will definately welcome a cat in as well (most likely from the humane society) I've always had cats growing up, and just since I moved into college housing (no pets) have I not had anything live (except my plants)

Your kitty kats all sound wonderful :)

[Jenn - moonglitter@moonglitter.net]
Go to Top of Page

fmc
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  09:09:07 AM  Show Profile Send fmc a Private Message
I have had several cats in my life. The last two were the most memorable. Both of them loved it when I knit. They sat in my lap and purred when ever I moved around. One of them would grab the needles and chew them as I knit. They knew which afgans I had knit (I swear!) and would only sleep on them. They are both gone now, but when I sit in my chair and knit I can almost feel them and hear them purring again.

There is nothing like a cat purring in your lap! Francine

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  10:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
We have 3 cats, and they are all different. Socks is the one who sits looking mesmerized, and then pounces on the yarn when you least expect it. Sam just wants a warm lap and Sandy is usually very quiet and sedate, but once in a while she gets in the catnip in the yard or something, and attacks the yarn while it is being knitted. I guess it is time for bed. Sam is sprawled on my lap, shedding on me and looking quite smug. ( He wants my chair to sleep on, hint, hint..) Barb
P.S. My middle son, 20, brought his new kitten to visit today. She is so cute. She looks like someone couldn't make up their mind what designs or colors to put on her! She's got white feet, orange stripes on one leg, black on the backs of her feet, and sort of a tortoise shell look to her body. Her face has a white line down the front, with black around it. Her tail is long and skinny and has a orange/brown tip to it. The rest of the tail is black. She so crazy looking she's cute, and she seems to have a lot of spunk, which I am sure ds loves.
"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  10:07:24 AM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
My two kitties loved my knitting! Barb, your son's new kitten sounds like she looks just like my old cat, Charlotte. When she was little, she used to attack my yarn all the time when I knit. Her sister, Sally, never attacked the yarn as much but only ever wants to sleep on wool sweaters and unfinished projects (in addition to clean laundry, of course). I finally made Sally her own baby blanket and she sleeps on it all the time now.

Thanks for all the cat stories!

Katie

Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  12:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Thank you so much for telling about your cats!

I just got back from a camping trip and didn't get a chance to go online and reply earlier.

I agree on the Grandma sitting in the rocking chair with knitting and cat. I'm not a Grandma and my rocking chair is a rocking recliner but other than that the image fits me - and I don't mind. I think there's nothing more relaxing!

I can't take my cat on camping trips (he gets motion sick) and he always gives us the sweetest welcome when we return. I can hear him meouing as soon as I get out of the car, a very little and fragile meou but it's steady. He always seems very happy to see us, even the dog.

I wish I could have more cats but since we're stationed overseas (more moving ahead), every pet means extra expenses when it gets time to go back to the US.

Gotta go get to bed, my cat's waiting

Happy Knitting,
DREA who fininshed scarf #2, #3 in work, 9 more to go)
knitter@newsguy.com
http://love2knit.8m.com/
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

kristajo
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
436 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  06:13:00 AM  Show Profile Send kristajo a Private Message
I hate cats! Can't stand 'em! I am, emphatically, a Dog Person. I won't get into the dogs vs. cats debate 'cause this really isn't the place, but I'd like to know: any others out there who don't fit the stereotype, or do the knitting gene and the cat-loving gene go hand-in-hand?

Krista Jo

PS Kittens are kinda cute though

Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
Well, I responded to Sandi's cat topic a month ago and was the only one to admit to having a pound puppy in the house. There were several replys that had cats and dogs, though.

Go to Top of Page

maya
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  10:45:30 AM  Show Profile Send maya a Private Message
Cats and dogs.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  6:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hmm.. we could really start something here! No, I like both cats and dogs, but only have cats at the moment. We had a dog when we lived in the country, but I am allergic to dogs, so can't have it in the house. Makes me get all stuffed up. My next door neighbor has 3 little dogs, and some cats, and her dogs love me, so that's good enough for now! LOL Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?