Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 sock disaster
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  12:33:59 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi everyone,
Ok, here's what happened. I finished the first of a pair of Opals and started the second one...I never count rows so I keep the first one on hand to eyeball the length of the second one. I lost the first sock somewhere!!! I had it yesterday at my son's karate lesson, now it's gone! I've torn apart any place it could be, i.e. the van, my purse, my knitting bag and the bedroom where I was knitting last night. I pray it's at the karate school. They were supposed to be a birthday present for my mom. Now I've got one sock mostly done and one missing in action. I don't even want to work on the remaining one as I'm so disgusted with myself. I guess I'll have to fork out another $12.00 for the same ball of Opal if it's not at karate. I am so annoyed! Did this ever happen to any of you? Probably not. Happy knitting

Wendy

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  2:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
I once lost my hairbrush while I was using it.

Seriously.

I lose one of the socks I'm working on all the time. So far, they have always turned up -- I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathe
Chatty Knitter

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  8:35:19 PM  Show Profile Send Kathe a Private Message
Oh, yes, it's happened to me too ! About 4 years ago I was knitting a beautiful Seafarer's Guernsey for my DM for Christmas. I finished the back and put it away while I worked on the front. The back of that sweater has never been seen again ! Since all my WIPs are kept next to me in a large basket with a cover, I cannot imagine what happened to the back of that sweater, but it's gone!!

Kathe

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  9:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
It's in that Other Dimensions where the lost socks go!! Barb P.S. I hope you do find that sock, though!

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  06:20:48 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Good morning, everyone. I can't believe it, but I found that sock!! I was making the bed this morning and noticed an unusual lump at the bottom. Saying a silent prayer, I retrieved the sock. Yea!! Now I don't have to thoroughly embarrass myself by asking Jesse's Karate instructor (he speaks English with a VERY heavy Korean accent) if he's seen a sock laying around the dojo. I'm so glad I found it. Thanks for the support. I hope you all find your missing WIP's and have a nice weekend.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  4:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I discovered the other day that the second ball of my Lorna's Laces Purple Club sock yarn is A.W.O.L. I finally came to the conclusion that it must have been kicked out of the van by one of my oblivious children. I took the finished sock back to the yarn shop and compared it to each of the three different dyelots she had to find the best match. I don't have the other yarn wrapper so I don't know for sure, but I am sure it will be pretty close. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I am going to start the ribbing tomorrow... oh please, oh please, oh please...

Glad your sock found it's way home!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  6:01:13 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Oh, Alissa! I'm sorry for you. I hate that sinking feeling of knowing that it's gone. Good luck...I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  7:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
LOL, I can imagine the instructor saying that, yes, he has found lots of loose socks around! I am glad you found it. Alissa, I am so sorry you lost your yarn, and especially that one, that I have been drooling over. (Too bad it wasn't in my envelope when I got it!) I love that color, and haven't tried Lorna's Laces, yet. Got to finish some things first. MUST FINISH! Barb

Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  07:11:18 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
How great to have found the missing sock! For a while it looked like you had a jumpstart on the sock-eating washing machine. Now it looks like the real mystery is how it got from Karate class into your bed!!!
Allyn

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  07:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Maybe it was hanging on the back of her shirt, got washed, and then was stuck to her sheets when she put them on her bed. My dh had found certain items of my clothing stuck by static to the outside of his shirts sometimes. Luckily he noticed it before he went to work....Barb

Go to Top of Page

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  08:42:31 AM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
Oooh, I feel for the lost sock people - but don't give up hope too early! I've made three pairs of regia jaquard socks, but only kept one for me, and I LOVE them. This spring I lost one.

I looked and looked, to no avail, until I had to move this summer. Suddenly, from between my file bins, appeared my sock.

So my sock and I are reunited, and all I had to do was move. Hmmm. Okay, so maybe its not the easiest way, but handknit socks are just about worth it!

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  6:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I was starting to feel that I am not supposed to make this second sock! (No, this is not just some convoluted excuse to get around the second sock syndrome... or maybe it is?) When I got to work this morning I sat down to start that cuff. Wouldn't you just know it, I was missing one of my circular needles! I know I had it yesterday, maybe I left it at home or maybe it fell out in the van? I went back out and searched the van... no luck. Now I was really depressed, first I lose a $10.00 skein of yarn, now a $9.00 needle? These must be the most expensive socks in history! I went back in inside in disgust and pulled out my shawl to work on instead... voila! There was that stinking stray needle!!! I promptly put it to use starting the cuff so it couldn't get away again. Now if I lose it, I am going to lose the whole darned thing! Maybe I should put that first sock into the fire safe?

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  8:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
If it were me, I would forget I put the sock in the fire safe! Barb

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  9:27:20 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Dear Alissa: Right there you know somethings up. I know how you feel--you not only want to throw you hands up in despair, you want to run through the street screaming and yelling--been there, wanted to do that. Now, about the extra sock--some place on some other forum someone suggested that if you could only knit one sock and never get to the second give the odd socks to a veterans home. I do believe they have lots of great as well as grateful people who would appreciate this. With the fourth of July coming up and me being a staunch patriot (during the Viet Nam war I lived on a route where ambulances would come down my street to Letterman Hospital and while I was gainfully employed, I would gather up my friends and we would get out there on Saturday and Sunday afternoon between 2 and 3:30 PM and wave my outdated but still good 48 star flag)those gentlemen would love it. Sorry to ramble on but I am old enough to remember when they bombed Pearl Harbor and when I heard someone say they haven't forgiven whomever for September 11--hell, I haven't forgiven anyone for Pearl Harbor. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  7:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
So much for the firesafe idea, I need to have that sock with me so I can copy it for the second! Guess I will just have to flaunt fate and hope for the best...

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

FibersFan
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  7:18:42 PM  Show Profile Send FibersFan a Private Message
Mitten clips, aka idiot clips.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?