Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 K1C2 Tartelette ribbon yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  03:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Thanks Bev. We got a rain storm just as it went into tassel so in spite of the dry weather it looks like we just might. And for my fellow knitters gasping over this yarn's name, you must pronounce that first "E". Tartlette would be shameful but Tart uh lette ought not to cause any heart flutters. Nevertheless, if you are still fighting the urge to snicker, think of little pies.

I've seen photos of ribbon knitting in old patternbooks and wow - it is beautiful. it looks like weaving with each stitch perfectly fitted into it's slot. I know I would never work that hard to create such a fabric, but if I had a high energy Type A friend I might just comission her to knit such a garment as those perfectly smooth ribbon items from the past. And I am mighty glad that textured fabrics are so popular now so I can knit ribbon yarn with abandon.

I've found lots of other ribbon yarns split when knitting continental. I have heard skilled English/American knitters say they don't have nearly the splitting problem as continental knitters. I did some ribbon knitting at a workshop last march and thoroughly enjoyed it, but split the stuff wickedly till I slowed down and relaxed my fingers. That made the knitting process a different sort of exprience.

But now I am wishing I could set aside current projects and knit up that skein of tartelette. I will report back once I've put the ribbon to the needle.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  03:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Thanks Bev. We got a rain storm just as it went into tassel so in spite of the dry weather it looks like we just might. And for my fellow knitters gasping over this yarn's name, you must pronounce that first "E". Tartlette would be shameful but Tart uh lette ought not to cause any heart flutters. Nevertheless, if you are still fighting the urge to snicker, think of little pies.

I've seen photos of ribbon knitting in old patternbooks and wow - it is beautiful. it looks like weaving with each stitch perfectly fitted into it's slot. I know I would never work that hard to create such a fabric, but if I had a high energy Type A friend I might just comission her to knit such a garment as those perfectly smooth ribbon items from the past. And I am mighty glad that textured fabrics are so popular now so I can knit ribbon yarn with abandon.

I've found lots of other ribbon yarns split when knitting continental. I have heard skilled English/American knitters say they don't have nearly the splitting problem as continental knitters. I did some ribbon knitting at a workshop last march and thoroughly enjoyed it, but split the stuff wickedly till I slowed down and relaxed my fingers. That made the knitting process a different sort of exprience.

But now I am wishing I could set aside current projects and knit up that skein of tartelette. I will report back once I've put the ribbon to the needle.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Hayes
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  10:48:47 AM  Show Profile Send Fran Hayes a Private Message
I am a new knitter & I love this Tartelette. I am making a short sleeved cardigan (Yaeger's new summer book)its absolutely gorgeous.
I really enjoyed knitting with it too, no problems.
My previous project was a summer tank out of Dolce, which turned out awesome.
For new knitters I think ribbon is terrific, because you don't have to do anything fancy, you can keep it super basic and let the ribbon speak for itself!
My only problem now is funding all the projects I want to make out of these beautiful ribbons, its addictive.

Having fun in San Diego

Go to Top of Page

Fran Hayes
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  10:48:47 AM  Show Profile Send Fran Hayes a Private Message
I am a new knitter & I love this Tartelette. I am making a short sleeved cardigan (Yaeger's new summer book)its absolutely gorgeous.
I really enjoyed knitting with it too, no problems.
My previous project was a summer tank out of Dolce, which turned out awesome.
For new knitters I think ribbon is terrific, because you don't have to do anything fancy, you can keep it super basic and let the ribbon speak for itself!
My only problem now is funding all the projects I want to make out of these beautiful ribbons, its addictive.

Having fun in San Diego

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  3:19:05 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I've got to see this Tartelette! I just discovered ribbon yarns and they FLY off the needles! I'm just sewing up a pullover out of Phildar's Croisiere and have 2 tops to do, one in Gedifra's Clou and one in Phildar Ruban and a pullover in Firenze by Idena. The twistiness is what I like because it creates such a gorgeous and unusual fabric.Don't be intimidated by ribbon. I'm a new knitter and the pullover is the first thing I've done myself and only the second time I've used a pattern.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  3:19:05 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I've got to see this Tartelette! I just discovered ribbon yarns and they FLY off the needles! I'm just sewing up a pullover out of Phildar's Croisiere and have 2 tops to do, one in Gedifra's Clou and one in Phildar Ruban and a pullover in Firenze by Idena. The twistiness is what I like because it creates such a gorgeous and unusual fabric.Don't be intimidated by ribbon. I'm a new knitter and the pullover is the first thing I've done myself and only the second time I've used a pattern.

Go to Top of Page

tomato
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  08:13:35 AM  Show Profile Send tomato a Private Message
I'm making a Tartelette shell top pattern with Berroco ZEN, which my LYS said is interchangeable. I love working with it but since I knit loose, I needed to go down a couple of needle sizes on circulars. Has anyone else had trouble maintaining proper gauge with ribbon yarns? Thanks.

tomato
Go to Top of Page

tomato
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  08:13:35 AM  Show Profile Send tomato a Private Message
I'm making a Tartelette shell top pattern with Berroco ZEN, which my LYS said is interchangeable. I love working with it but since I knit loose, I needed to go down a couple of needle sizes on circulars. Has anyone else had trouble maintaining proper gauge with ribbon yarns? Thanks.

tomato
Go to Top of Page

Luvtoknit
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  2:53:11 PM  Show Profile Send Luvtoknit a Private Message
Yes I used the tartelette (for a Yaeger pattern that actually called for Celeste)it also said #17 needles when I did my swatch I didn't like it at all and I finally ended up with a #10 needle. My stitch guage didn't exactly match but this yarn knits so stretchy and I used a different size on the pattern to compensate.
I am big on doing long swatches,it helps me decide how I want the "fabric" to look. Then I adapt to the pattern or worst case find a different pattern. I am always modifying???
I do love tartelette, it is really gorgeous.
Have Fun!!

Go to Top of Page

Luvtoknit
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  2:53:11 PM  Show Profile Send Luvtoknit a Private Message
Yes I used the tartelette (for a Yaeger pattern that actually called for Celeste)it also said #17 needles when I did my swatch I didn't like it at all and I finally ended up with a #10 needle. My stitch guage didn't exactly match but this yarn knits so stretchy and I used a different size on the pattern to compensate.
I am big on doing long swatches,it helps me decide how I want the "fabric" to look. Then I adapt to the pattern or worst case find a different pattern. I am always modifying???
I do love tartelette, it is really gorgeous.
Have Fun!!

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2002 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
My LYS just got in some Tartelette. Naturally I'm interested. The part of Clara's review that concerns me is the fuzzing of the nylon. I knit a sweater out of Berroco's Dolcino a few years back and while the finished garment was gorgeous it started fuzzing. Dolcino reminds me of Tartelette. I was wondering if I made a sleeveless sweater would I have better luck with fuzzing? It seems to me that most fuzzing occurs on the sleeves because that's where you have the most friction. Anyone notice fuzzing on their Tartelette garments after repeated wearing?

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2002 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
My LYS just got in some Tartelette. Naturally I'm interested. The part of Clara's review that concerns me is the fuzzing of the nylon. I knit a sweater out of Berroco's Dolcino a few years back and while the finished garment was gorgeous it started fuzzing. Dolcino reminds me of Tartelette. I was wondering if I made a sleeveless sweater would I have better luck with fuzzing? It seems to me that most fuzzing occurs on the sleeves because that's where you have the most friction. Anyone notice fuzzing on their Tartelette garments after repeated wearing?

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  07:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I loved the look of this yarn when I first saw an ad for it. Now I'm hearing more about it, and despite the "controversy" I think I'll get some. We have a brand new LYS in my town (I had to drive an hour or so before, and the hours weren't convenient) and I plan to support it - maybe that will be my first purchase!

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  07:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I loved the look of this yarn when I first saw an ad for it. Now I'm hearing more about it, and despite the "controversy" I think I'll get some. We have a brand new LYS in my town (I had to drive an hour or so before, and the hours weren't convenient) and I plan to support it - maybe that will be my first purchase!

Go to Top of Page

fibrebender
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  1:43:50 PM  Show Profile Send fibrebender a Private Message
I went to a yarn shop in Wilmington, NC with my SIL. She loved the triangle scarf which was displayed and ended up buying the yarn. The scarf was hand knitted but I told her we could do it on her Brother 260 bulky machine. It turned out beautifully but I agree that it was a fiddly yarn to knit. Several times the yarn got caught on the needles for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if I would want to knit another project on a machine. I was afraid when I was disentangling the yarn that I was going to rip the yarn apart.

Go to Top of Page

fibrebender
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  1:43:50 PM  Show Profile Send fibrebender a Private Message
I went to a yarn shop in Wilmington, NC with my SIL. She loved the triangle scarf which was displayed and ended up buying the yarn. The scarf was hand knitted but I told her we could do it on her Brother 260 bulky machine. It turned out beautifully but I agree that it was a fiddly yarn to knit. Several times the yarn got caught on the needles for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if I would want to knit another project on a machine. I was afraid when I was disentangling the yarn that I was going to rip the yarn apart.

Go to Top of Page

Elsa
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  12:16:46 AM  Show Profile Send Elsa a Private Message
I took a class today in making that neck scarf or the shawl pattern with fringe you just unravel. I like the Tartlette, but I used size 15 needles, and I was thinking that made the difference. I could see smaller needles piercing the nylon half quite easily. This pattern we used is also from Knit One Crochet Too, it was a really cool effect with the self fringing. You actually knit these stitches that will be fringe once you are done, then you unravel them (gasp) and presto chango FRINGE! The pattern is called Ribbon Triangles, and the easiest beginner shawl I've ever seen. I was only going to make the scarf because Tartlette is a little pricy, but I promptly bought 2 extra skeins after we made our practice doll shawl. :)

Elsa

Go to Top of Page

Elsa
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

I took a class today in making that neck scarf or the shawl pattern with fringe you just unravel. I like the Tartlette, but I used size 15 needles, and I was thinking that made the difference. I could see smaller needles piercing the nylon half quite easily. This pattern we used is also from Knit One Crochet Too, it was a really cool effect with the self fringing. You actually knit these stitches that will be fringe once you are done, then you unravel them (gasp) and presto chango FRINGE! The pattern is called Ribbon Triangles, and the easiest beginner shawl I've ever seen. I was only going to make the scarf because Tartlette is a little pricy, but I promptly bought 2 extra skeins after we made our practice doll shawl. :)

Elsa

Go to Top of Page

Elsa
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Elsa

Go to Top of Page

DetroiterInNYC

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  10:38:33 AM  Show Profile Send DetroiterInNYC a Private Message
Can anyone offer ribbon yarn pattern selections for a shell/tank type top? I tried to do it with a basic book of patterns, but it is so stretchy, the thing turned out huge.

I would also be interested in any children's (toddler) sweater patterns.

Thanks... (Just thought I'd ask since we're on the subject.

Stacy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.