Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 My hobby injured me.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  07:48:09 AM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
Okay, this is a funny story and I am not too sure how I will be able to live this one down quickly...

On Wednesday night my family and I were getting ready to head to the train station to drop my sister and I off on the train. I had just spent a few weeks in Canada with my family and it was time to return. We went to eat at the Perkins restaurant before getting on the train so our bellies would be full...great meal, and a very attractive and funny waiter who had been cracking jokes and entertaining us (we're quite a giggly group anyways) made for an even better meal.

We went out to get into the car, which was loaded with crap to go home with us, in particular my knitting bag was on the floor in the backseat because I had been working on my knitting while we were travelling. Thinking nothing of it I hopped in the car, plunked down kind of hard...

Then I felt it. My left jeans ripped. So I looked down to see what it was and noticed my metal knitting needle sticking in them. Then I looked closer (mind you, all this happened quite quickly, not so drawn out - it's hard to show how quickly things passed in stories) and that was when I saw my size 10 knitting needle wasn't just in my pants but in my leg as well.

I removed it, being a straight puncture, it was not in too far, only just the tip, but still that hurt. We rushed to a store quickly to get some antiseptic cream and bandaids to stop the bleeding and advil. It hurt yes, but I was laughing because it was kind of funny too.

Definately an embarassing moment, and now I can admit that knitting is not as passive a hobby as it looks...

-Jenn

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
You had better be nicer to those needles in the future....they fight back

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  08:43:49 AM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
Handknit socks can ALSO be dangerous!! I don't know what it is but they have NO grip. None. Zip. Zero. I was wearing a pair of mine on hardwood floors just last weekend and just out of the blue and instantly -- whoop! -- my legs went out from under me and I did a HUGE (and I mean HUGE!) pratfall! I literally shook the walls of my house!

So this week I surfed the net to find out what I could put on the bottom of my socks (cause no silly little fall is going to make me give up the pleasure of wearing handknit socks, no sirree!) and found a couple of places that recommended using the Puff Paint product that you can get at craft stores. Needless to say, this is at the tippy-top of my To Do list!

Pookie (the oh-so-graceful ballerina )

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  09:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Ouch! Pookie, I used to make footie sleepers for my kids, and I happened to do folk art painting at the time. There is a fabric with dots on it that you can buy, just like the store bought pajamas have on the soles of the feet. But, I also discovered that plain old acrylic paints for folk art work well to make little dots. And, you can color coodinate the dots, so they are not so noticeable. The only thing about puff paints, is that sometimes they flake off. If you apply heat to the acrylic paints, it usually sticks forever. If you have ever got any paint on your clothes while painting, you know how hard it is to get off. Anyway, just dot on the puff paint or the acryllic paint, let it dry thoroughly, and wear. We lived in our log house with wood floors when I discovered this. My kids loved to "skate" polish the floors in their socks, after I applied paste wax. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

annglowacki
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  10:29:59 AM  Show Profile Send annglowacki a Private Message
I've had a run in with double-points-in-socks myself.

While I was leaving my bedroom one Saturday morning, I slipped, and whacked my left hand against the doorframe. No problem, except I was holding a sock-in-progress, complete with bamboo dps. And one of them decided to go through the loose part of the skin of one finger.

I was in shock first, I couldn't believe it went through the skin like that. Pulled the needle out, cleaned it up, band-aided it real good, sat down, and knitted. Yes, I sat down and started knitting on the same sock that got me! Good thing I did, knitting kept that finger from stiffening up and hurting more than it did. I had a dull throb for a few days, nothing worse.

Well, several months later, I still can't believe I ever did that, having no mark, no scars, and thankfully, no infections set in. It did slow me down typing on the computer while it healed.

And I've heard that a few others have been bit by dp's as well...

Go to Top of Page

racerjulie
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  11:53:04 AM  Show Profile Send racerjulie a Private Message
I have a friend who knits in the car - she'll lay her knitting on the front seat beside her, and get a few stitches in while waiting at lights. She got rear-ended and ended up with a pair of needles sticking out of her dashboard. Better than her, I guess!
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  1:11:05 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Several years ago I saw a lady on the bus knitting a sweater on what had to be the longest double point needles I have ever seen. She was on the body of the sweater and was using four to hold the stitches and one for the work--you know five dp needles. They had to be at least 14 inches long. I kept wondering if she would impale herself or someone else as riding the bus in San Francisco for the most part can be an adventure in and of itself. Encouragement is not needed. I don't know if anything happened and I trust it didn't but she was still knitting along when I got off. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  2:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
Ah yes, I did something like that about 6 weeks ago. Ouch!

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  3:24:21 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I stabbed myself in the leg with a size 2 dp needle a few days ago. It was in my knitting bag which got sandwiched between the car door and my thigh. I was visiting my dmil so had access to some Neosporin and band-aids. I guess there's a first time for everything. I thought I was the only knitting casualty Happy knitting

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  6:53:20 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
I have impaled myself with my sock needles at least twice, once in the knee and once in the calf. They say that you're a horsewoman if you've been bit, stepped on, thrown and kicked). I figure it's probably the same for knitters.

Actually, I have a rather funny story to tell. Long ago when my husband and I were first living together, I was into crocheting. I was working on a doily with #9 crochet hook way before he was even awake. My DH who can't see a thing without his glasses, gets up from bed to use the bathroom and comes back to bed. I went to get something in the living room and without thinking set my ball of thread with the crochet hook secured in it on the bed. Of course, he doesn't look and plunks his rump right on the crochet hook. It goes in far enough to hang freely from his you know what. He's screaming. I try to pull it out and he screams louder that he's about to faint! Now I'm panicking. It's a Sunday morning. There are no doctors willing to wake up as early as I do. We decide we have to go to the hospital. How to get dressed? This took easily 10-15 minutes of maneuvering around the hook. How to get there. Walking is out of the question, too far, too much pain. Drive. He can't sit. Lay down in the hatchback, hook up. ABSOLUTELY NOT! I am told . (I guess there's only so much humiliation men can stand.) We finally do get to the hospital and I am near hyperventilation. The doctor looks at my husband's hook and shakes his head and says, "I don't want to know; and does your wife need a sedative?" I have been dubbed Ahab ever since.

Go to Top of Page

similees
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  8:12:46 PM  Show Profile Send similees a Private Message
I haven't managed to hurt myself or anyone else lately, but I have had my poor DH "find" my sewing needle for me...I used to poke the needle, with it's piece of yarn through the eye, into the arm of the couch, waiting for me to use it again....DH came over to give me a kiss, and impaled his hand quite nicely. Needless to say, I don't leave my needles there anymore!

Cindy :-)
similees@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  9:36:15 PM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
Everyone's stories are awesome!! Glad we've all healed from our bumps, bruises and whatever else :)

Also, in reply to arlinem's horseman quote...I can totally attest to that :) I am also a very avid horse woman and that saying is very true!

Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  10:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
I always knew that it would happen to me one day and it did a couple of weeks ago. I got attacked by my sock needles. I was about to stuff my current glove project into the basket for sock projects when one of the dpn's suddenly attacked me. Neosporin and lots of cold water did ease the pain.

Happy Knitting,
DREA who fininshed scarf #2, #3 in work, 9 more to go)
knitter@newsguy.com
http://love2knit.8m.com/
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

Tweedles
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  04:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tweedles's Homepage Send Tweedles a Private Message
My husband won't let me knit in the car. He says that if we get in accident I could end up with a knitting needle in my eye or in my chest!

I heard a story once that Elizabeth Zimmerman used to knit while riding on the back of her husband's motorcycle!

I told this to my husband but I don't think he believed me!

-Sandi-Cassil

Go to Top of Page

wagnermeg
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  04:36:50 AM  Show Profile Send wagnermeg a Private Message
Dear Lord! I had no idea knitting was so dangerous. I'll never look at those innocent looking needles the same way EVER again. yikes!

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  06:26:03 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I don't think I have ever seriously injured myself knitting, but probably will now that I've said it!

Along with horseback riding, remember that if you want to be an artist you must suffer for your art. That goes for writing, painting and now knitting!

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

viclee
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  8:42:33 PM  Show Profile Send viclee a Private Message
[quote] Of course, he doesn't look and plunks his rump right on the crochet hook. It goes in far enough to hang freely from his you know what. He's screaming. I try to pull it out and he screams louder that he's about to faint! Now I'm panicking.
-------------
Thank you dear lady for that laugh!! I hope he recovered and all was well.............Vicky
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  9:34:06 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I know that you shouldn't laugh at others misfortunes Arlinem but I couldn't help myself with your story.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  10:27:52 PM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
Didn't you guys see Foul Play with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase?

There's a scene were she stabbs a bad guy with knitting needles -- gotta love educational movies. Hehehehe

Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  10:02:24 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
you know vicky and marjorie, i love that story myself and do my very best to tell it every opportunity i get! believe me, dh does the same for me! yes he has recovered and i have managed to outlive my nickname. i'm still not sure if he looks before he leaps any more now than he did then. we just celebrated the 19th anniversary of having met. who knew it would last this long!

Go to Top of Page

jgetha
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  1:28:03 PM  Show Profile Send jgetha a Private Message
The most dangerous knitting needles I have are 0000 needles used to knit beaded bags out of pearl cotton. They are about as skinny as a hat pin, but much longer. There is no safe place to put them when you aren't working with them. I tried to keep them rolled up in a hand towel, but once grabbed the hand towel to move it and... got stuck pretty well in one hand. Ouch.

My husband, who claims that he and "string" don't get along anyway, steers clear widely of anything on dpn's. WHen I want to sit close to him as I work on a sock, he keeps his eyes on those needles as if afraid they will leap out of the yarn and come get him!
Joy in Elizabeth, CO

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.