Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 statute of limitations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  09:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
okay, the last thing i want to do is ruin a good thing with a sweater - so is there a time limit associated with the curse of love sweater? i keep thinking that after 3 years, it's safe...but maybe that's because my 3 year anniversary is in July?

my SO says that it's 2 yrs, and 11 months, just so I'll get started on the sweater, but i shall not knit haphazardly in the face of the knitting fates!

www.matiastudios.com
knittingdiva.diaryland.com

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  09:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
The curse is only a curse if you believe in it.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.thekingspottery.com
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Chatty Knitter

160 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message
Well, if it ends up not working out I wouldn't blame the sweater. I mean, if it were me and it were three years with no formal proposal including nice ring I would already be questioning the guy's commitment. But that's me; patience is one of those virtues I'm not so good with.

Has he made anything for you?

Understanding is a three-edged sword
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
Knit it with love.
If you don't mind giving him other things, a sweater shouldn't matter. If the relationship is meant to be, it will be.
I don't believe in the curse.
There's supposed to be a saying about giving a man a watch or shoes. I gave my hubby both when we were dating. We're still together.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com

FO for 2004: 1 blanket and 2/3 sweater Frogpond: 2
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I knitted my DH an Aran jumper when we were engaged and the only cursing involved with that jumper was me recently when I realised he had only worn it about half a dozen times in 6 years!!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 13 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  07:01:40 AM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
I tend to believe... I knitted my first husband a mohair sweater after almost 3 years and 6 years later we married, then 3 years later we divorced Mind you I also believe in the 12 year cycle of renewal (or 12 year itch) .... but that is another thread

BTW I completely concur with Grey - I'd be asking the same questions

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  08:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kimkrafty

If the relationship is meant to be, it will be.
I don't believe in the curse.

I agree with Kimkrafty and Boogie. A relationship that is meant to be will never be harmed by some supposed "love sweater curse". On the other hand, it is easy to blame a handknit sweater for a failed relationship.

I knit my boyfriend a sweater that he wore with pride. Three years later we were married. We have now been happily married for 27 years. No "love sweater curse" here.

I am not superstitious. My husband not only saw me before the wedding (some kind of superstition involving that) but we had our photos taken BEFORE the wedding. (We had them taken in the park and the wedding wasn't until the evening.) I also walk under ladders, cross black cat's paths, don't avoid "13" and so forth. Superstitions only have power over those who believe in them. I don't. Life is too short to live in fear of imaginary dangers.

I don't believe in "good luck" or "bad luck". Our lives are what we make of them. If it pleases you to make your SO a sweater and it pleases him to receive one then go ahead. The only thing to fear is fear itself.

-Marlene-
Go to Top of Page

JLBeamish
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  10:55:55 AM  Show Profile Send JLBeamish a Private Message
quote:

Knit it with love.

My mother knit two "steady sweaters" for my gf and me in high school. Then my gf's dad took a new job (on the other side of the Atlantic!).

I never saw my gf again; my mother died a long time ago; and I still have that sweater.

Knit it with love? Absolutely: the love of a mother for her son and the love of her son for his mother and his girlfriend.
Go to Top of Page

JLBeamish
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile Send JLBeamish a Private Message
quote:

Knit it with love.

My mother knit two "steady sweaters" for my gf and me in high school. Then my gf's dad took a new job (on the other side of the Atlantic!).

I never saw my gf again; my mother died a long time ago; and I still have that sweater.

Knit it with love? Absolutely: the love of a mother for her son and the love of her son for his mother and his girlfriend.
Go to Top of Page

PainterWoman
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  10:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit PainterWoman's Homepage Send PainterWoman a Private Message
The first sweater I knit was an Aran (!) for BF in highschool. Was too cheap to make it from wool, so used some synthetic, but it was warm and indestructible. It was my mother who insisted on synthetic and my mother who broke up the relationship... perhaps for good reason now that I've watched a few more episodes of America's Most Wanted. Then made a gorgeous pale blue mohair pullover for husband #1... he even wore it when we lived someplace appropriately cold. (I knit it while in California... so I might have already lost some of my marbles by then.) Present husband is very clear that he'd rather I didn't knit him a sweater. I think he's more nervous about the knitting sweater curse (or whether he'd like it) than I am. Since he said "no," I won't. But he might get an afghan or some scarves.
Go to Top of Page

ErickaJo
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  2:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ErickaJo a Yahoo! Message Send ErickaJo a Private Message
My fiance has asked that I knit him the "skully" sweater out of the Stitch n Birch book. I warned him about the curse, but he proclaimed that curses were for weenies. ;) This is why I love this man. I'll start the sweater as soon as I get the yarn.

ErickaJo
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  4:55:40 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I knit a sweater for Mike after we were together for over 2 and a half years...he moved out the end of June....get married then knit the damned sweater....or knit the sweater to see if your relationship is strong enough to weather the curse!!! Mine wasn't...but it was going down the road before I knit the sweater....so go figure!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

PainterWoman
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  9:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit PainterWoman's Homepage Send PainterWoman a Private Message
I always think of the Fairy Tales The Seven Swans when i think about knitting a loved one a sweater... that somehow it will UNCURSE the person... whether I get to enjoy them enjoying it or not.

Has any woman had their SO knit a sweater for them? Hubby is making me a stereo cabinet, which will be awesome, (maple/walnut, etc.) but I am not holding my breath for him to knit.
Go to Top of Page

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  06:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
I am intersted in knowing why everyone assumed that my SO was a 'he'...and why marriage came up as something I would have to wait for 'him' to propose? While my SO and I *could* get married (since we live in Massachusetts!) it's just not on my list of things to do in the near future.

But rest assured that knitting her a sweater by Christmas is!

www.matiastudios.com
sometimesatypical.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  10:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knittingdiva

I am intersted in knowing why everyone assumed that my SO was a 'he'

Knittingdiva, I have answered this question to the best of my ability at: http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18044

I had begun my answer here but then realized that the subject matter was definately getting off topic so I hope you don't mind following the link to my response in the other thread. Thanks.

-Marlene-

Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ErickaJo
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  11:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Send ErickaJo a Yahoo! Message Send ErickaJo a Private Message
You know, in life, online especially, we hold assumptions up to other people like new sweaters. :)

I think one thing that makes this group so close-knit (oh, the punny agony!) is that the most controversial thing we cover is continental vs. English... or along those lines. Is that a bi-sexual Goddess worshipper on the other side of the chatroom window? Perhaps, but they're a knitter, too. That's where we form our connection.

Don't be upset at a group of people who have never met you for not guessing your sexual preference... human nature, you see. I try to keep an open mind, but sometimes I'm closed-minded by programming. Yes, even me, a bisexual pagan knitter. :)

ErickaJo
Go to Top of Page

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  12:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
I've posted a response under WovenFlame's new topic heading - but I want to make clear that I am not upset, offended or annoyed...I just noticed. And I like most of what I've found here at KR, so I thought I'd:
1) take responsibility for not being clearer from the get-go
2) ask about it

www.matiastudios.com
sometimesatypical.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ErickaJo
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  4:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ErickaJo a Yahoo! Message Send ErickaJo a Private Message
I wasn't really worried that you were upset. You seem too level headed for that. But you're right, it is something that you notice ;)

ErickaJo
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Grey

I mean, if it were me and it were three years with no formal proposal including nice ring I would already be questioning the guy's commitment.

Understanding is a three-edged sword

Why is that? I know this is moving off topic but this attitude bugs me. So many marriages fail... A ring doesn't make a commitment any stronger. I have had the same boyfriend for 9 years and we've lived together for 8 of those years. So I should be questioning the commitment of a man who has never cheated on me and whom I love very much because we're not married?
I'd even make him a sweater but he's always warm so it doesn't really make sense to make him one. So he got a few scarves instead.

Just had to respond to that statement.... I just don't get it. After all I could always propose if I wanted to.

-Amber

A friend will help you move..
A really good friend will help you move a body.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  2:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I agree, Amber! I said frequently both before and after my wedding that the slip of paper saying I was married probably meant more to other people than it did to me. I love my husband, and I'm thrilled to be his wife. But one of the reasons I wanted to marry him was that people outside the relationship tend to think it's not a serious (or not AS serious) if you aren't married. I didn't love Ken any more January 2 than I did December 31. My committment to him has not changed.

But society sees it differently, and that societal acknowledgement was important to me (he works a very dangerous job, and morbidly, I want to be his next of kin. I don't want third or fourth call if something terrible happens.)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  10:03:52 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
For me the sweater was the cursed thing...not the relationship. I knitted it the first year of our marriage (hmmm, maybe no one had heard of the curse in the Stone Age?). Too large, frogged it. Re-knit it. Too heavy. Frogged it. Started it again...cursed thing. That was 43 years ago. Still married, still no sweater. LOL!!

Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by