Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Ribbon knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cetacea
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  2:41:25 PM  Show Profile Send Cetacea a Private Message
Has anyone heard of knitting with ribbon? If so, are there any patterns?

Shysmommy
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  3:04:23 PM  Show Profile Send Shysmommy a Private Message
I have heard of it somewhere on the net, and will do some searching because I would like to try it too

If you see someone without a smile give them yours.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  3:19:23 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Yesterday I saw a book about knitting with ribbon. I would like to tell you that it was Amazon, which it might have been, but I don't think it anything that simple. As soon as I remember and/or find it I shall get back to you. You might try Amazon. Also, we have someone here on the forums who has done ribbon knitting. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  3:44:23 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi: One place you can go to is Amazon.com. I checked it out and they listed three places to look, unfortunately one was Patternworks. The other place was Herrschners in Wisconsin. You might take a look at Amazon and then Herrschners to see it. I hope this helps. Good luck. Beverley

PS: In the past and not so long ago I have ordered needlework and yarn from Herrschners and they are very good about getting things to you and in good time.

"Be nice to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  4:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Patternworks is still totally in business - any of those links should still work just fine.

You also have the option of knitting with ribbon yarn, which is slightly "yarnified" for an easier process. (Easier than, say, using ribbons from the fabric store.)

The big issue with ribbon has to do with twist. Because it's a flat surface (rather like the flatter chenilles), you'll have to decide how to handle the twist factor. Will you move heaven and earth to keep the yarn totally uniform, or will you let it twist every which way, even if it results in a slightly funkier surface.

Also, the shinier/glossier the ribbon, the harder it is to manage while it's on the skein. It wriggles and magically manages to unwind all over the place. People have suggested putting it in plastic bags with elastic at the neck, or putting it in one of those "yarn bras" or something.

That's my two cents. For what it's worth, I'll be reviewing a ribbon-esque yarn in this week's newsletter, too!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  5:50:36 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Clara: Glad to know that we can still order from Patternworks web site. Also, didn't someone here put in something about knitting with ribbon? Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Cetacea
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  06:56:57 AM  Show Profile Send Cetacea a Private Message
Wow! Thanks to all of you! I thought I was losing my mind trying to remember where I saw ribbon knitting!

Go to Top of Page

Mom2CK
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  09:38:02 AM  Show Profile Send Mom2CK a Private Message
I started a tank top with a ribbon yarn from Colinette called "Mercury" and the name fits! This yarn is so fluid that I constantly find myself running after it! I've got 2 balls in 2 separate plastic bags and the stuff still runs away from me. I've tossed the project into the UFO pile and will return to it one day. The color is beautiful and the actual knitted garmet looks and feels gorgeous. However, even on wooden needles, it's so hard to manage that I'm sorry I ordered it. My money would have been better spent elsewhere. IMHO

Go to Top of Page

conniec
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  10:26:17 AM  Show Profile Send conniec a Private Message
Hi --

Oh Oh... I just bought a lot of Mercury (24 skeins of it!) on ebay to knit the cardigan and camisole twin set in the Italian Connection booklet... I didn't want to hear that it's hard to manage! :0

I hope I'll be able to stick with it because I love COlinette stuff, but I usually knit in a smaller gauge than a lot of her yarns. Mercury has one of the smallest gauges in the Colinette line so I thought I would try it out...

-Connie

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  11:47:04 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
There is a ribbon discussion somewhere else - I replied to it. Maybe you can find it through the search engine. I love the stuff!! I just made a pullover in Phildar Croisiere. I just have to assemble it. I had so much fun with the ribbon , I went out and bought more! I got Gaedifra Clou and Phildar Tulle. It's great fun to work with. I don't worry about keeping it flat and use bamboo needles, It's very summery.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Just remembered where to look! It's in Seeking Advice - ribbon, author - lemons

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  1:50:36 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
Conniec, where did you find the Colinette twin set pattern? I've been looking for the one in their current ad and sounds like it's the same one you have.

Go to Top of Page

conniec
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile Send conniec a Private Message
Hi Dot --

The twin set is for Mercury and it's in the newest available (I heard there's a new one out soon for a new Colinette ribbon yarn) pattern book called Italian Connection.

I got mine from the same ebay seller that sold me the Mercury. But I've seen it sold at either (or both??) Handworks Gallery (www.handworksgallery.com) or Patternworks (www.patternworks.com).

-Connie

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2002 :  12:18:50 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Did you try www.colinette.com?

Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  5:08:23 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
I am facinated with the idea of Colinett Mercury. I am glad to hear others experience with it. I don't mind knitting with ribbon. My local yarn shop suggested I put slippery yarn in the foot of an old pair of panty hose then cut the foot off with about 6 inches above the yarn. It really helps keep it from going all over the place! I pull out enough yarn to knit several rows at a time. I have also found that if I hand wind yarns I can get rid of over half of the twisting...but not all of it. When it gets twisted I just clip the hose and yarn with an old clothes pin and let it spin away.

I have also learned that if something slippery or a flat ribbon comes in a hank and I have to rewind it, it is best to do by hand and not on the ball winder. I also wrap slipper yarn around an old skein of cotton I have. It is the old Bernat Gloucester so it is about 6 inches long and it holds that slippery stuff just beautifully.

Hope it all works as well for you as it does for me. Now to just decided on the color of Mercury I want. Has anyone tried Colinette Wigwam?

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Mom2CK
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  08:21:25 AM  Show Profile Send Mom2CK a Private Message
Hi all -- the pattern I'm using for the Mercury sounds like the same one from the Italian Collection. I bought it through handworks gallery, who now have Mercury on sale for 30% off . I did get a special deal on the kit though but it was still expensive. None of the tricks to keep this slippery stuff tame have worked for me. I've read about the pantyhose idea and will try that next. It does look great though -- maybe I'll give it another try. OR - maybe I'll work on that Regia sock

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  06:59:27 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Hi, all--

I'm the one who posted the earlier ribbon inquiry as I awaited the yarn from Patternworks. (It's backordered - surprise - and I'm still waiting.) I have worked with Wigwam as part of Colinette's fabulous afghan kit, and found it easy. It's a sort of knitted tube that's been pressed to lay flat.

Yesterday in the mail, to my utter delight, I got the Colinette palette pack in reds. My pal in Wales had sent it to me. There's some red Wigwam in it - more Bordeaux than Burgundy, for winos out there - as well as other absolutely glorious things. I just pour it out onto the bed or a table and look at it and fondle it, all the colors and textures, and I feel like I've won the lottery. Don't know if I'll be able to make it up for a while; it's too satisfying just like this.

Regards to all,

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  11:42:48 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I got ribbon patterns from an old summer issue of VK, either last summer's or the year before. I've noticed a lot of ribbon in the summer editions of the European pattern books.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe