Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting & Reading
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  7:07:40 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Marjorie: By all means you should use the music stand. I have one in my kitchen to prop up my cookbooks. It works beautifully. I have had it for years--I know I got it before I moved into this new place and that was 27 years ago. I wouldn't be without it. I know you will love it. Its a great help. Beverley

PS: Now that I finally figured out the smiley faces I wouldn't be without them.

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  8:40:45 PM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
Yes, Marjorie, use the music stand. They are so useful! I have even proped up a book on my DH's drum practice pad/stand. I'm teaching myself to knit from books, so I had the sweater instructions on the drum pad to my front left, the Big Book of Knitting on the coffee table to my left so I could look up increasing and casting off (etc.) and the lamp on my right. DS is using the music stand right now, but that is an excellent idea.

You all amaze me, I can not imagine trying to read a book while knitting. Having the TV on and referencing books is the best I can do as yet

Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  8:55:59 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Hi Marjorie,

That sounds like a great idea to use the music stand! If it has clippy thingies (don't you love my technical terminology ) then it would be even better, because you could hold the pages in place while you read. Of course, then it would be more challenging to turn the pages.... But that's nothing to stop a creative mind.

Happy knitting and reading,
Katie

Go to Top of Page

mommyj2k
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile Send mommyj2k a Private Message
I discovered that I can get books on tape at the library and listen to a book while knitting. I feel like I am accomplishing so much!!! Jill
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2002 :  05:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I love to read and I love to knit, but rarely do the two together (and only simple stockinette or ribbing). 'Books on tape ' is a great invention, and I listen and knit together frequently - you flip the tape a lot less often than you change the page. Knitting at the movies - no. We go infrequently because my husband has a hearing problem, so when we go I give it all my attention. I do, however, knit while we wait for the show to start.

Go to Top of Page

Brazilian Girl
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  09:05:40 AM  Show Profile Send Brazilian Girl a Private Message
I love to multitask! Reading while knitting is easy when I use one of those hair claws to hold the book open on the page I am reading. Works for any kind of books. Sometimes I knit while I spin and watch TV. That makes me feel efficient... LOL
Go to Top of Page

Brazilian Girl
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  09:05:47 AM  Show Profile Send Brazilian Girl a Private Message
I love to multitask! Reading while knitting is easy when I use one of those hair claws to hold the book open on the page I am reading. Works for any kind of books. Sometimes I knit while I spin and watch TV. That makes me feel efficient... LOL
Go to Top of Page

EdieC
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  5:40:53 PM  Show Profile Send EdieC a Private Message
I can manage knitting & watching tv but not reading. The audio book idea is a good one. Will have to try that as I love to read but never tried an audio book. Also, how do you ladies manage to knit in the car while waiting for the light to change? ....Edie

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  7:17:02 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Brazilian Girl: One time when I was at the dreaded laundromat I was knitting and reading a book. A lady couldn't believe that I was doing THREE things at once. I thought I was only doing two until she reminded me that I was doing the laundry. I actually thought that was a foregone conclusion--why else would I be at the laundromat. While I admit I am more than somewhat strange, hanging out at the laundromat would put one right at the top of that list. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  4:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I am currently making dinner (cooking pasta), doing laundry (got the dryer running), knitting and reading KR! That would be four things at once?! WOW!!!

I never thought of it that way before.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
I am still having a hard time keeping track of what is on tv and knitting, but I dream of the day I can read and knit. Unfortunately I tend to read so quickly that I would have to stop and turn pages a lot.
Christy

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  4:04:57 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Alissa: According to the lady at the laundromat you were doing four things at once. I, like you, never thought about that. I just thought I was doing what I was raised to do--keep busy at all times. "Idle hands are the devil's playground" and you know who they expected to be the chief player. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  11:10:22 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
My job description at my former occupation stated that I must be capable of doing 8 things at once and handling them efficiently, effectively, and accurately. I always wondered who was going to count them......LOL

Fran

Go to Top of Page

kkreavis
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  6:12:09 PM  Show Profile Send kkreavis a Private Message
I never thought about knitting and reading at the same time. I love to knit and love to read, so why would I want to give half of my attention to either one? I enjoy them both as hobbies, not as
something I must get done quickly. Guess I'm different!

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  7:34:49 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Kkreavis: Welcome to the forums. You are going to love it here. We all have different opinions but we respect others opinions. Is that grammatically correst? Does it matter? I don't think you are different, you are ONE OF US! Some of us enjoy all these things as hobbies some of us are a little more stressed (desserts spelled backwardsthan others. Me? I'm retired and I have a couple of things to say about that. The first is retirement ain't what its cracked up to be, its FAR FAR BETTER than you could ever imagine. You have so much freedom--you noticed I didn't say free time--you can do what you want when you want even going to the dentist. If the date and time doesn't suit you, go another time. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Genarti
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  3:01:06 PM  Show Profile Send Genarti a Private Message
I love knitting and reading! I can't just sit and knit, really; if I don't have friends to talk to or something to watch, I always read. (This also gives me knitting time, as it means I can multitask some of my homework.) I have a rather unorthodox method, though, it sounds like. Well, two, actually.

Method one: I sit sideways on a couch (or the floor near a wall) and slouch down. Then I bend one leg, and rest the other ankle more or less on the upraised knee. Book goes on hip/stomach, crossed ankle lowers as needed to be a sort of a bar across the top of the book. Then all you have to do is hold your knitting a bit to one side. This works best with hardbacks, but a little manipulation makes it work for paperbacks too.

Method two: Rather easier, I suppose, and it works better for paperbacks, but it requires bare feet. Just sit on the floor and hold the book open with your toes. :) If you're flexible, you can rest your elbows on your knees or the floor for added comfort.

Both slightly silly-looking, but they don't require props, and my friends have long ago accustomed themselves to my being silly. Plus I've taught half of them to knit and now they copy me sometimes. Mwahaha and so forth.
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  6:28:49 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
At my age Genarti I could get myself into all sorts of problems trying to knit in those positions
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.