Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting & Reading
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  12:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
Do you knit and read at the same time? How do you manage it?

I sit on the floor facing my couch and prop my book up on a cushion on the couch. I have a book weight I rest on the top of the cushion and then snake over the book as need be to keep it open. The book is then at about eye level at a comfortable reading distance from me, and my knitting is in my lap.

This really only works for hard covers. I've tried other arrangements, but I either can't see the book or my needles bump it so much that I get irritated.

I've seen props and pillows and such that you can buy and rest in your lap (such as this one) but they don't work for me -- the book would be too far from my eyes.

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Talk about multi-tasking!!!!
I can watch TV and knit, or watch TV and read, but not knit and read.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  12:35:43 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Ladies: I learned to knit and read out of pure frustration--sitting in the laundromat while the laundry was either in the washer or dryer. There is nothing more boring than that. I would use a weight on the book also. Its one of those things you see in catalogs and works very well. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  1:11:50 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi everyone,
I've been practising knitting and reading this week. I wouldn't want to try it while reading War and Peace, but a knitting book or something light that I can pause frequently to check my work is working out OK. So far I've only managed a few rows of plain stocking stitch. My goal is to knit completely through a movie at the theater without looking at my work at all (love going to the movies!). Elizabeth Zimmerman didn't miss a beat on her "Knitting Workshop" videos. She would knit either looking directly at the camera, reading her notes, or whatever else she was doing. I guess it just takes practice. Happy knitting.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  8:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I knit with my work in my lap and a book on the table in front of me. I also knit during movies... but only things that I don't have to work to keep the pattern correct. 2x2 rib is about my limit there. Lace is definately out!

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Kathe
Chatty Knitter

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  8:36:10 PM  Show Profile Send Kathe a Private Message
Since most of the knitting I do requires that I pay close attention to the pattern, I cannot read at the same time. However, the TV or stereo is always on when I'm knitting at home. Don't knit at the movies as I only go when I need a break from knitting (the last time was in 1999 ). I catch up on my reading when I go to bed.

Kathe

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I have managed to knit through a movie at the movie theater. I did do my increases and decreases so it wasn't just plain old stockinette stitch. I can do the same with reading. I generally sit on the floor or my bed with the bottoms of my feet together. With my toes, I can keep the book at the right page. I still have to use my hands to turn the page, but I am working on it.

If you want to be technical, I am also stretching while I do all of this. Don't try this at home, kids.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

epatterson@businessedge.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  10:52:08 AM  Show Profile Send epatterson@businessedge.com a Private Message
Learned the trick from a knitting friend. I sit at a table, with the book on the table held open with a weight of some sort (I have an "official" book weight, but use my wallet or another book if I'm away from home)
It doesn't work with elaborate knitting, but once you get used to it it's easy with simple knitting.
Go to Top of Page

karenbmiller
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  11:13:50 AM  Show Profile Send karenbmiller a Private Message
I don't know if this is considered "cheating" but after reading this suggestion on a website, this is my favorite way to "read" a book and knit. I get books on tape at the library. I turn on my tape recorder and listen to books while I am doing my knitting. This is a wonderful way to multitask; you can still read your pattern but be hearing a book at the same time. Also, having a book read to you goes much faster than reading it yourself. I make sure that whatever book I reserve is the unabridged copy.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

arianarw
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  12:43:29 PM  Show Profile Send arianarw a Private Message
My problem is I read very quickly so I would no more get going on my knitting then I would have to stop to turn a page. I do listen to books on tape sometimes, but mostly have the tv on in the background. With cable, there's almost always something on. I also listen to tv while spinning.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  12:56:32 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Epatterson: On more than one occasion I have gone through a metal detector and been questioned as to why I was carrying a blackjack when I was carrying my "offical" book weight. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  1:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Knitting and reading? I don't think I could do that. Well, I do read my email while I knit but reading a book is different. Turning the pages would interrupt my knitting. I cook while I knit (socks in a tiny basket are best for knitting while cooking). I watch tv while I knit, actually I do this a lot. Boring movies are great for this, or the football season. My husband is a Green Bay Fan and I love knitting during the games. To him it's almost like I'm paying attention to the game.

Happy Knitting,
DREA (who's now working on scarf #2, 9 to go)
knitter@newsguy.com
http://love2knit.8m.com/
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

lorirae
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  2:08:35 PM  Show Profile Send lorirae a Private Message
Of course I read and knit at the same time. One of my favorite reading and knitting stories is from years ago. I was engrossed in a mystery and the kids had a movie on TV with lots of action, so the music with it was very fast paced. I ended up have to rip about three inches because I had read and knit at the movie's pace and missed the beginning bind off for the underarms. As I recall I was knitting with sport yarn and size 5 needles, so you can tell the knitting was actually getting the short shrift. But then, I knit for my emotional well-being as much as anything and truly don't mind ripping all that much.
Lori

Go to Top of Page

knitwitter
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  3:55:09 PM  Show Profile Send knitwitter a Private Message
Not only have I read and watched TV while knitting, I have been caught several times by husband, sleeping while knitting! That's right, he will come in the living room to talk to me and find me all but snoring and my needles clicking at the same time. I have been knitting for over 40 years, and when I have a pattern that calls for stockinette or ribbing, I can do it so automatically, that I don't have to look, therefore I can knit while resting my eye, or read a book the same way. But this only seems to work, on these 2 patterns.

Knitwit
Go to Top of Page

similees
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  5:44:27 PM  Show Profile Send similees a Private Message
I can knit and read, if the book is small enough, and flat enough to sit in my lap, and then the work-in-progress needs to be small....like a dishcloth or socks.

Cindy :-)
similees@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Blankenship
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2002 :  03:05:21 AM  Show Profile Send Nancy Blankenship a Private Message
I read while knitting by using a book holder. I can usually read both hard cover and paperbacks. Yes, both skills do slow down a little by multi-tasking this way. I can also knit while I read email knitting digests by putting the keyboard on the floor and use my toes to hit the keyboard to keep scrolling.
Nancy on The Vineyard

Go to Top of Page

quiltknit1
New Pal

Uganda
7 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2002 :  1:04:33 PM  Show Profile Send quiltknit1 a Private Message
I have a book rest that sits on the couch on legs on each side of me and holds my book at the correct angle. It has an elastic strap that keeps the book open, but I have not found a way to automatically turn the page, yet. Perhaps I could hold a pencil in my teeth by the lead and turn the page with the eraser (tee-hee). I only knit on circular needles, so don't have trouble with the needles getting in the way.
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  05:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
Great topic!
I definatly read while knitting. I used to use a book weight, but had a bit of trouble looking down, without the knitting in my way. So I bought a Read-Upon- pillow with a clear arylic book holder that lets you quickly turn the pages.Works great for speedy readers.
It is a life saver when I am knitting (save this for stockinette projects) socks for DH (those long feet..zzz!) or plain sweaters that have backs that seem endless.
I have a storage box of patterned sock yarns (like Regia jacquard, Opal South West Collection, etc) that would be lost if I didn't use stockinette stitch. When I see a good book, I choose this yarn. Fun way to get something done besides just reading or just knitting.
Currently reading away on a thriller while knitting Opal Bumblebee.
Lisa in Oklahoma

New Sock Design- Safari Socks!
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
I can't remember a time when I wasn't knitting and reading! It's my favorite combination of activities.

For me, the greatest challenge is holding the book in place and the pages apart. When I was a kid, I used to sit on the floor and hold the book with my toes while I knit (my back's not quite up to that anymore!) Now I usually put the book on a table or my lap and balance something on it. If I have a tough pattern or book, my progress with both is just really slow, but I don't mind.

When I was at college I used to knit my socks in the library while I was doing my reading, but that was a really slow process. Then again, you could make the argument that knitting and reading helps you retain the information because you often end up re-reading passages multiple times!

I like knitting and reading so much that I sometimes don't want to read if I can't knit. Right now I have to force myself to read because I'm out of knitting commission with tendonitis.

I can also knit at the movies, although I'm not as big a fan of that. I always end up having to check my work by the dim light of the film and then missing key sections.

Go to Top of Page

chriskulper@yahoo.com.au
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  4:19:18 PM  Show Profile Send chriskulper@yahoo.com.au a Private Message
Hi,I have not knitted for a long time,just getting back into it to knit for my granddaughter.I used to be able to knit and read have not tried yet could only do with stocking stitch.With my other hobbies,spinning weaving & quilting t.v. or c.d player in background.
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  6:30:17 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I love knitting and I love reading and feel frustrated doing one without the other so I have no option but to do both at once.I've tried all sorts of ways to balance both and none are really satisfactory and if I finally get myself into the right position my darling old cat plonks himself down in the middle of it.He just has to be involved in whatever we do and doesn't pick up hints when hes not welcome.I'm tossing up whether to get my daughters old music stand out.She thinks I'm going insane anyway so whats one more thing to justify her thoughts.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.