Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 50 Yards or Less
 Single skein quandry
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blueknitter
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile Send blueknitter a Private Message
I recently ordered the wool blend grab bag from Patternworks, which was such a fun and exciting way to try several things I'd never played with before. (Do you sense the "but" coming?)

However, ;) I received a couple of single balls/skeins that I'm at a loss as to what to do with.

Firstly, there is a ball of a 90% wool blend called Madras in colorway Mardi Gras. It is gorgeous, think and thin, very cushie (DS's word), but has only 40m to the skein to be worked on size 13 needles. What can I make with this?

Secondly, there is an intensely purple skein of Classic Elite Maya, which is a llama and wool blend. It's worsted with only 81 yards, what can I make with that? I was pondering a mini bag, but don't know if there's enough there to do it, as well as the feltability of the llama fiber.

The other 8 balls I think I've got a handle on, but will ask for suggestions once I quit drooling and dreaming over them. These two are just in such different colors, textures, and fibers than what I am used to that I really need input. Thanks.

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  09:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Sounds to me like you have to go shopping again and find some "everyday" yarns to coordinate with your special ones to make something. I'm sure you hate to go shopping for more yarn....

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  11:19:13 AM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
You could use the smaller skeins as accents on the edge of a sweater, or you could use up all your bits and pieces making a big, variegated afghan.
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  4:39:19 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I'm making small,zippered change purses, just right for an evening out when you don't need your whole wallet. My motivation is the same, just a bit of yarn. I'm also making a striped purse with several odds and ends.

PattiG
Atlanta
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  5:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Llama will felt, and 81 yds is enough for a small bag - if you're concerned, felt slowly, check frequently, and you can stop the felting if it starts to get small.

Also, do the colors coordinate at all? You might make a lovely bag or hat with the thick/thin as trim...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  10:20:49 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You now have the beginnings of your own "Magic Ball of Yarn" Check this out.

http://www.knittersreview.com/article.asp?article=/review/profile/010726_a.asp

fran
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  01:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
thanks for the link Fran, I have lots of different coloured 8ply (DK) leftovers that are perfect for doing this.

Wen

2004 stats: 12 FO, 6 WIP, 18 wool purchased, 3 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  07:59:15 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If you have lots of money and no time, I know I have seen one for sale somewhere for around $35. Patternworks? Elann? Can't think of it now.

fran
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?