Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 MD Sheep & Wool -- WOW!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  03:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Same here. The whole weekend was glorious. I'm writing a longer report about it on my blog - but that will take some time. Highpoints, as I look back on the weekend, were the class, the lunch with the KRForumites, meeting Ken and Dylan, (you guys always have a home with me), spinning on the Golding Wheel (I've already begun the softening process on BD) and of course, that pinacle of the MSW, that heart attack on a stick - sharing a Deep-Fried-Hostess-Twinkee with all my friends!

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  03:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
It might have been faster if we'd wedged it directly into our arteries... but it sure was good! I love you guys!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

jrwhiskey
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  04:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jrwhiskey's Homepage Send jrwhiskey a Private Message
Had a great time on Sat too... just have been to busy to get on this board! Was surprised how far some of the vendors came for this (saw an IL co.) but read in the paper that it's the biggest one around!
Behaved myself and only bought some handpainted sock yarn, but next year will seriously contemplate getting one of those "enough for a sweater" bundles.
It was great to attach faces to lots of the KR folks... will have to work on remembering names

Julie in central MD
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  09:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
It was so wonderful to see everyone, and meet all you KR-ers I hadn't yet met .

Great to meet Ken and Dylan, too ~ you lovelies have a home here, too! Bess 'n I'll fight for ya! If you do come out to meet my friend Diane, of the alpaca farm, be sure to drop by for a visit!

I SORT of behaved myself at the festival. I posted a report on my blog this morning, including a summary of my purchases. All-in-all, not too bad.

What a great weekend! It really is much better to do both days of this festival ~ I didn't feel as frenzied as I have in past years.

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers: http://www.spirit-trail.net
http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  11:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
My report is up but photos won't be up till tomorrow or Thursday. ooo did it really happen?

Bess
Go to Top of Page

careynev
Chatty Knitter

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  3:39:00 PM  Show Profile Send careynev a Private Message
Oh, I'm SOOOOOO sorry I missed the KR's lunch! I got stuck in traffic and didn't arrive until RIGHT at the meeting time and I still had to catch up with my mother, so I had to miss lunching with you-all. Rats!!

Next year I'll make it there earlier, I swear!

This was my 4th or 5th trip to MD S&W so I knew what to expect--an overwhelming array of beautiful things.

Fortunately, I have trouble buying yarn without an intended project, but unfortunately, I'm a pattern *****, so I buy patterns everywhere I go.

This time, my BIG purchase was (gulp!) a Ron Schweitzer kit from Yarns International!!!!! I went for a vest instead of a sweater, partially for financial reasons, but also because I can't imagine needing a thick, wool fair isle down here in Virginia.

Has anyone out there done one of these patterns? I may need a support group!

I also bought a locker hooking kit to make a seat cushion, a skein of beautiful alpaca (gray) to make a shawl...oh! And LOTS of those fun things made from old pieces of silverware. That vendor has been there every year since I've been attending, but I've never indulged. I made up for it this year--they had the cutest windchime made from spoons cut to look like fishies. Too cute for words!

I've never bought the official t-shirt because the logos weren't that appealing to me, but I LOVE this year's so I got a t-shirt AND a cute backpack.

So all in all, it was a big success. Going back on Sunday was great because the weather kept most people away so we could go back through the buildings to make sure we hadn't missed anything.

My only regret is that I missed meeting all of you!

Till next year...

Judy, the Nerdy Knitter
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  11:40:40 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi everyone
My hubby and I went to MSW on Saturday sans the children. It was wonderful! Well, for me anyway. I went specifically to try out some spinning wheels. We headed for Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farm and tried an Ashford Traveler. She is so warm and friendly. Next we went to The Yarn Barn. There was a nice selection of wheels ready to go and we received a mini-lesson on the physics of spinning. I was happy to see my hubby so interested. We decided to buy an Ashford Traveler, double-treadle, double-drive. Just waiting for the Tax Return to come in. I bought some beautiful yarn from Carodan Farms, the new Ann Budd book (it's great), some needles, a pattern, and ordered some cotton yarn from Autumn House Farms. I was broke after that but would have loved to have gotten some yarn from Tess's booth as well. I missed the other KR member's at lunch. I wore my little scarf pin and had DH looking out for others. He only spotted one person wearing one. It was so crowded on Saturday I'm not surprised I didn't see anyone else. I look forward to next year. I'll be buying some roving to spin! Have a nice day.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  12:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Wendy - try to make it for the picnic lunch next year. I never saw a single scarf pin till then, and didn't afterwards either. Of course, I forgot my pin this year. I'm still sighing and wishing this were 7 days ago and it was all ahead of me.

Bess
Go to Top of Page

Thredbende@aol.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  08:26:19 AM  Show Profile Send Thredbende@aol.com a Private Message
The festival is a treat for all senses: the fragrance of lanolin, spring farmside, grilling lamb and garlic, and, ah, essence of animal. The colors of spring frame the dyers art and the breeders choices. The textures of fiber, including the curling red hair of certain attendees (Celtic blood is well represented here) and wearable art of every description delight sight. A blind man with a sinus condition would revel in the touch of the skeins, wools, fleeces, bunnies, lambs, goats and smooth sanded hardwoods of the spinning wheels, looms and shuttles. Lastly, there is the sense of husbandry you see in the young people caring expertly for their dumb beasts. My heart cockels were severely warmed. Rarely do you get to see excellence in art and excellence in child raising in one venue. It makes me glad to be a human-briefly.
Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
Wendy, what's the new Ann Budd book? I didn't see it. I have her Handy Book of Patterns and have used it almost to death!! How exciting you are getting a wheel and nice that you got to try them out.

I have organized my almost 5 lb. of fiber I bought and started to play with some of it. Currently, I am spinning silk. There's a piece on my blog about all the stuff I bought at the festival.

Carolyn
http://theplumpewe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  3:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Clara, thanks for a great report & wonderful photos! It brought the week-end & the joy of it all back to me as I oohed & aahed while reading your story.
Thredbende@aol.com, I did see a blind woman accompanied by a sighted man as they headed into one of the exhibit buildings. I wondered which of them was the knitter - perhaps both of them are!
Martha
Go to Top of Page

Scarf lady
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  6:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scarf lady's Homepage Send Scarf lady a Private Message
Had a wonderful time at my first wool and sheep festival!!Can't wait to go again next year. It was wonderful to meet Clara, Amie, Lissa and all the rest of the gang (I promise by next year I will be better at remembering names). Bought a squirrel cage swift for our new shop (Much thanks again to Lissa)but held back on purchases until we get our yarn shop up and running in June. Still have the TNNA show in Columbus next month. Anyone going? Scarflady
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  7:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi everyone,
Knitting Fever, I was actually referring to Ann Budd's "Handy Book of Patterns" in my previous post. It's great, is it not? I'm making some mittens from it for my 7-year old son. I am very excited about my new wheel. I just ordered it (about 15 minutes ago!) from Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farm. My hubby just smiled at me, handed me his credit card and said "Happy Mother's Day, Honey"! I think I'll keep him. Happy Mother's Day everyone.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  07:03:46 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
It was so much fun seeing you all again at the festival last week! It's been at least 3 sweaters since I've been on the board, but will try to carve out some time for keeping in touch. I was at the festival Sunday with DH and DD, doing all the festival stuff plus visiting a friend from work who brought her sheep for the first year (Pennywise Farm). One of my students also went with her family which has a dad that spins and weaves, a mom that spins and felts, and a brother that weaves. She and I had a great time talking over the sights and sounds over the past week.

My DD loves the angora rabbits and I told her "if you learn to spin, I'll get you a rabbit", and I'm still trying to convince my ex-zookeeper DH to buy a farmette and raise alpacas in his retirement. He may be wearing down.

Great to see you all, keep me in mind for Graves this year and New Zealand whenever!

Rebecca

Dances with Wools
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  07:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Rebecca, it's so good to "see" you! We've been wondering if you were okay. Miss you at KnitKnutz, too!

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  3:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Rebecca, what a great thrill to have seen you at MD & you looked so great!
Lissa is right - we have missed you & at the 2003 Retreat, we 2002 folks asked about you.
Your lucky DD - hope the bunnies are in her future.
Hope to see you in the fall at Graves & would love to feel your energy back here in the Forum.
XOXO to you, Rebecca.
Martha
Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  4:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
Wendy, yes, as I said before, I love that book. I have made numerous pair of mittens and two vests from it. Congratulations on being an "expectant spinner." :)

Carolyn
http://theplumpewe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  4:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
So, I'm not a spinner (and I don't want to be a spinner so don't even go there, I'm in FL people!) - is it worth it for this Florida chick to go to MDSW next year? I want to - I grew up in MD (just outside the Beltway) and still have cousins inside and outside the Beltway, so I can justify a few days up there. I can see the appeal for those of you who want to score wool right off the sheep, but what's in it for those of us who want it pre-spun? Is it really worth it, or is it more sheepy than that?

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  7:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Yes it's worth it - there are some outstanding yarn vendors at the show, as well as places like Hunt Country Yarns, Carodan Farms, Carolina Homespun, The Woolery, and Suzanne's Fiber shop - a big bin of sale Noro there. About any book on spinning, knitting, needle felting (You might find you really like that - lots of felt mice made that way too) weaving, dyeing, felting in general. And of course, funnel cakes, soft ice cream and deep fat fried twinkies. Especially if you could also touch base with family - a trip up nawth could be tremendous great fun.

They still have their list of vendors up online - give this site a peek.

http://www.sheepandwool.org/vendors.htm

Bess
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  03:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I wasn't a spinner my first time (and I'm not really one yet now) and it's a blast - even if you aren't part of the process until yarn exists, watching the whole system is amazing! And there are HUNDREDS of yarns and knitting accessories that will make your eyes water with joy!

Yes! Come!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?