Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Stitches East
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
The Stitches East flyer arrived in the mail today. I've never been to one but I think it's close enough to go for one day this year in mid-October. Lots of good classes and many, many, vendors. Anyone thinking of going?
Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Hi Rebecca! Wouldn't miss it for the world. I live about 15 mins away so I've gone for the past couple of years. Last year I was about 7 months pregnant w/ my twins, and huger than huge - still had to hobble around for an hour or two. I've not taken any classes yet but go crazy with all the vendors. Hope to see you there,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  7:06:01 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Rebecca: Every year I try to get to Stitches (whatever--you fill in the year) and this year I got to Stitches 2002 in Oakland, California. I must tell you I do not under any circumstances drive there due to the fact that I would have to fill the car with yarn and while that sounds good--lets face it you can only cram so much yarn into a three room apartment. Be that as it may--if it is anything like the one in Oakland you are going to love Stitches. Lots of shops throughout the country and Canada are represented. Also there are button people, software people, you name it people. It really is great. I go on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and when I surface I only have to walk about a block but coming out it is terrific--the BART station is right there. Can't ask for more than that. Also, it only takes me 8 minutes max to transverse the Bay whereas if I was driving I would be in for a minimum of half hour each way and that is only on the bridge. Another 15 on the bus and I am home. Anyway so much for the transport here--they have prizes too. You get your hand stamped and if you don't wash off the mark it is good for another day, or is that the Harvest Festival? Well I seem to have a conflict here but don't hold me to it. I shall be anxious--well, not anxious, but would like to know what you think. I know that if you go you will have a great time. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  8:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I got my Stitches East flyer today too. But I am signed sealed and delivered to be at Stitches Midwest in August, I don't think I could convince my family to allow another trip. Perhaps someday...

In the meantime, anyone else going to Stitches Midwest???

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  11:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I got my flyer yesterday, too, and I'm already registered with a hotel room reserved! When I went on line this morning, I didn't see any "sold out" notices on any of the classes, but I hear they close out early so I registered quickly.

Am I in danger of over-doing by taking 15 hours of classes? It was really hard to choose, but I do have to admit that when faced with some difficult choices, I tended to pick the classes without homework, thereby giving myself more time to shop and finish other projects.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  12:11:29 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Now I must really plan the fall events: September is the Knitter's Day Out, October is the Montpelier Appalachian Festival, October is Stitches and October is the Southern Animal Fibers Festival AND November is our Graves Mtn Lodge retreat.

I can't go away ALL those weekends!!! Time to prioritize.

Thanks for all your expertise and comments regarding the Stitches East!

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

midddeb
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  5:42:54 PM  Show Profile Send midddeb a Private Message
It looks sooooo tempting!! Has anyone taken classes at these before? What are the benefits to taking classes here vs. my LYS? In other words, should I go and take lots of classes, or just go to shop?!!
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  7:57:40 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Oh, Rebecca: Here I am out on the West Coast and you guys have all that good stuff on the East Coast. If you can handle it--do it. I must tell you about a young lady who lived down the hall from me a few years back was dieing to move to and work in Japan. She had just lost her job. I told her she was young, had no attachments--do it. She did. When George Bush Sr. when to Japan for Hirohito's funeral, on the news they were interviewing young Americans living and working in Japan. I thought I wonder if Marilyn will be interviewed. First person was my former neighbor Marilyn and when she was asked how she liked it her comment was, "I hate it. Its not like America." So much for my good ideas about what people should do. There is one thing, though if she wanted it to be like America she should have stayed here. Also, someone told me I gave her good advice--if she hadn't gone she would have regreted it. Therefore, all I can say is go to the knitting classes, forums, whatever. I always want to go to those classes at Stitches. They sound so good. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Dear Bev, I think you gave good advice to your young neighbor. I think I'll go for the 200 vendors this year since I'm in school during the class days of Stitches, but I can certainly make it on Saturday.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1986 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  3:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
This event sounds fabulous. Is there a web link for it that you all know? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  5:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
http://www.knittinguniverse.com/events/east/eastevent.taf

quote:

How do.
This event sounds fabulous. Is there a web link for it that you all know? Thanks!

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  05:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I checked the web site, and classes are starting to be sold out, so if you want to go and take classes, the sooner you register the better. I called yesterday to check about whether my online registration had gone through, had heard horror stories about problems with the online registrations in past years, and the very nice lady who checked for me said that they had 80 registrations in the first 3 hours!

Mine was fine, and she told me that they are having no computer problems this year.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Hi all,
I do not know what stitches east is however it sounds great. I tried to find the website, no matches. Can you post/send me the website address please.
Also, I know you had posted the names of two LYS you go to. Goldmans and one other that I cannot find where I wrote it down.

thanks for your help,
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  12:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Hello, everyone. I have been to a class at Stitches, and loved it. I don't really have a LYS, not close enough to take classes at, anyway. I suppose the one drawback to Stitches vs a yarn shop class would be that the Stitches class is probably bigger. That will work 2 ways, though - less personal attention (although it wasn't a problem in the class I took) and more input from classmates. I think it's a great way to meet some of the people whose articles and designs we see in the books and magazines. Enjoy.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  2:43:30 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I'll definetly be there as I live only about 30 minutes away and just can't wait. I haven't registered for any classes yet, but I see at least 3 or 4 I'd love to take, so I guess I better make my decision soon from the sound of things.

Last year was the first time for me, and this visit I'm going to be sure not to miss a thing! I thought I saw everything last year but it's so big, and so many people and gorgeous yarns, etc. that it's aaa bit difficult to take it all in at once. I'll split up my time in the market, and with the classes and let's not forget lunches, and meeting some of my fellow KR friends, it will be a wonderful outing.

When it gets closer we should see who's going and arrange a day and a time to finally meet in person. I can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1986 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  3:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Kathy, aka p-n, thank you for posting the web link. Wow, the mind is swirling. Although I doubt that I will be able to take a class, I am glad to see so many good people on the list.
Patience, it's cool that you are so close - I live in Philadelphia & luckily that's really close to the King of Prussia area. Perhaps by the fall some of the major construction projects will be so far along that navigating the roads will be easier!
Is it time to start saving the funds for a good shop 'till you drop outing??!!

Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
What can I say, I used to be a librarian. Looking things up is my specialty!

I live about 2.5 hours from King of Prussia, wonder if I should make the trip?

quote:

How do.
Kathy, aka p-n, thank you for posting the web link. Wow, the mind is swirling. Although I doubt that I will be able to take a class, I am glad to see so many good people on the list.
Patience, it's cool that you are so close - I live in Philadelphia & luckily that's really close to the King of Prussia area. Perhaps by the fall some of the major construction projects will be so far along that navigating the roads will be easier!
Is it time to start saving the funds for a good shop 'till you drop outing??!!

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Elisa: Click on the website prittyknitter posted. It should take you right there. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  07:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Elisa, someone already posted the Stitches website for you.

It sounds as if we will have a pretty big KR contingent there, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you, and we definately need to set a time/place to meet when we all know what the schedules will be like for each of us.

Also, the two yarn shops I like in Westchester County are Goldman's and In Stitches in Rye. In Stitches is small, but packed with lots of yarn and things, and they are very friendly.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  6:31:54 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Rebecca: Stick with me if you want encouragement. I shall be more than happy to encourage you to do almost anything even if I don't know what it about and when it comes to spending money, I can lead you right to the bankruptcy court along with me. All kidding aside I think if you ladies and gentlemen too on the East Coast are going to Stitches 2002 East you should all wear red carnations and meet for lunch--I trust it will be better than Stitches West but I don't fault them--its the hotel. --?Aren't you sorry I finally learned how to use the happy faces. They brighten up my dull messages. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1986 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2002 :  12:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Bev, re the smiles & symbols: you go, girl!! That aspect of writing a note/post is very cool!
Sheila & Patience, the idea to meet is a good one. Let's touch base as we near the event. My job is often hectic on the week-ends - I'm hopeful however to block off time to attend, see you all & buy some goodies!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?