Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Customer Service at LYS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  07:26:08 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Diana, maybe you could print out the post you just wrote, stick it in your purse, and sometime on your way out of that shop, tuck it into the owner's hand with a little "sorry, wasn't sure what to say" and a smile and leave. The owner really needs to know her employee is driving customers away, but you don't need to go through a confrontation about it.
Go to Top of Page

Of the Hunt
Warming Up

India
88 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  2:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send Of the Hunt a Private Message
Kelly: Thank you, it's a great idea. No--it's like Dear Abby quality advice, priceless and easy. And then I think I'll refer her to the link she she can read for herself and see how LYSO's are such an important part of the community. They need feedback.

I have to say as I was posting I was actually worried "what if these people are reading what I'm saying? what if they're part of the forum and they recognize themselves? Will I be hissed at next time I shop?" How hard can they make it to spend your money these days? Any harder?

Diana
Go to Top of Page

ErLeCa
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  1:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ErLeCa's Homepage Send ErLeCa a Private Message
I used to work at my LYS and I love working at the shop, but I hated working with the LYSO's daughter who doubled as the manager. She would talk about customers to me right before or after they'd come into the store. I would catch her rolling her eyes at me to indicate how much she hated having this particular customer in the store. Is that any way to run a shop? I'm sorry, but those customers are the ones paying your salary, sweetheart! I was always pleasant to customers because that's what brings them back.

One of the things that really PMO was that she did this to a woman who eventually became one of my really great friends. I'm so happy I didn't listen to her ranting because I could have really missed out on meeting a lot of great people if I had listened to her!

I finally ended up leaving because I couldn't stand it anymore. I was so stressed out from working there that my eye twitched for two weeks straight! Is that healthy? If I ever had my own shop I would never allow that!

ErLeCa

www.skeinstreet.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
One lady at my LYS is horrible with customers...or at least me. I am a very good customer and am in there frequently. Every time I'm in there she walks right up to me asking if I need help (in a grumpy voice) and then keeps walking around asking if I am done!!!!! It's not like I just go in there and hang out... I usually can't get out without spending into 3 figures. There have been many times that I have gone ahead and left without as much yarn as I would have if she hadn't followed me around asking if I was done. She is seriously awful. I wonder if she knows how much money she is costing the store....

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

A turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking her neck out.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I think this entire thread should be printed out and handed to the owner whenever any of us have a bad LYS experience.

I especially agree with the nice employee/nastly employee stuff. My LYS has mostly nice folk working there, and the owner is a really nice lady, but one of the employees is just a drag! She always looks like it's a MAJOR imposition to get off her duff and come help me, she NEVER smiles. If SHE asks if I need help, the answer is NO, but if any of the other ladies comes up, I will ask them my question.
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  2:34:57 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
I agree with Momma78239. I have a wonderfully stocked LYS, but I get treated as if I am poorer than dirt when I go in. The other ladies were greated and helped within 5 minutes of walking in the door. I wandered around for 45 minutes before anyone helped me I finally asked for help, and someone waved SOMEONE else down to help me, but was informed that they had to help another customer first. My bill came to over $100 and was looked upon with pity and told the amount owed as if there was no way I would be able to pay for it. I would have left, but there wasn't another store to go to close by. I whipped out a debit card, paid it all at once, and left. meanoldbeotchyarnstorelady
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  09:03:21 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
I agree with Momma78239 about printing out and giving it to the "offenders" -- I would have to do it very annonoymously (I know I spelled that wrong - can't find the dictionary right now) because she could identify me and my co-worker instantly! Maybe I could print it out and selectively cut n paste.

Then if I *have* to go in there I will make sure her car with the specialized license plate isn't anywhere around!

I've gone from spending hundreds ($) almost each month in there to maybe $25 every few months. They might be able to drum up new business but it is always about customer service -- and you need to depend on your repeat business no matter if a yarn shop, shoe store, etc. When the repeat business falls off, then they need to be wondering why.

Admiral Annie
Grand View Marina
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  09:16:29 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
Don't any of these LYSO or awful employees realize that it is much, much cheaper to keep a customer than it is to get a new one?
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
When my LYS has a late night event, they make certain to either have different staff in evening/morning, or to open later the next day. One LYSO told me that when she is in a bad mod at the shop, she puts up the "Back in 5 minutes" sign and walks out to get a drink, or just some air. Customers are willing to put up with a 5 minute delay much more than bad service.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Notorius_MEG
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Notorius_MEG a Yahoo! Message Send Notorius_MEG a Private Message
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's had problems with LYS workers/owners. I just don't get it, though. How do these people think they can stay in business?

I live in Arlington, TX and went to the closest yarn shop when I started knitting and based on a bunch of reviews online had decided that a Denise needle kit would be a good place to start with my tools. I was also looking for a particular project bag for my fiance' (who incidentally taught me to knit) that I'd seen online. I prefer to spend my money in local shops than online because I know how hard it is to keep a shop open, especially in this economic climate.

What did I get for my trouble? A 45-minute lecture on the horrors of the Denise needle set from the owner. How *SHE* is a professional, and she won't touch them because of all the problems she's had with them. How they have lots of them donated to the store because people hate them, and all they're good for is giving to the Girls' Club, and only because they can't afford good needles. Then a 30-minute lecture on how I just *HAD* to learn to knit continental, that's the ONLY way to do it.

We went to a lovely yarn store in N. Dallas, and the people there were incredibly nice and helpful to me. I went by myself and was a complete newbie, didn't understand guaging on yarn or anything, and they were patient and helpful. Their selection is absolutely incredible as well. Personally I love them. Unfortunately, my fiance' went with me once, and he was treated horribly. They ignored him, even after I told them he taught me to knit, and went so far as to address answers to questions HE asked to ME. Then, when I went in to pick up a set of Denise I had on order there, they were talking incredibly rudely about this "guy" who called to put a set on order (my fiance' was trying to surprise me) and how dare he expect them to hold a set for some guy when their "girls" had been waiting for them to come in. Needless to say I'm not inclined to spend money at a store that treats my fiance' that poorly because he's male.

We've been incredibly lucky to find a WONDERFUL store in Bedford, Simpatico Yarns where we now spend WAY too much money. ::wink:: And I talk the store up every chance I get because we have received the best customer service EVER from the owner. She's always pleasant, remembers EVERYONE's name (how, I haven't a clue) and is incredibly helpful. She adores my fiance' and though she doesn't have as large of a store and hence has a smaller selection than some others, she's always willing to order whatever we need, and is very knowledgeable about substituions & such.

It's truly sad that LYS's don't seem to realize how much bad press hurts them when they carry on like this. I sometimes can't believe how lacking some of these people are in customer service. I'd not last a day in business treating people like that.
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  06:34:24 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
The episode with the fiance reminds me of trying to buy a car when the salesman will talk only to the male of a he/she couple. (BTW, the easiest way to overcome that is to phone first and ask for a female salesperson - too many years of buying cars as a single woman not to have learned that.)

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  06:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message
My blood is boiling while reading all these experiences! I actually know for a fact that I can't yet afford to shop at me LYS, so I haven't really spent any time in the two closest (the one in Carrboro NC is always closed when I'm there and even during regular hours if they're having a class, so I've never even been able to go in!). I have nothing v. negative to say about them, except that I'm sad I can't afford the natural fibers I'd love to work with. BUT, I have always been a stickler for customer service anywhere and I'm even a public librarian in a large part because I got tired of the bad customer service I was experiencing as a library patron...well that doesn't happen at my library. I love helping people and I wonder what draws people into retail if they don't particularly like people? You certainly can't be making a bundle of dough as a yarn shop employee...maybe that's why they're so put out to help new customers (one's they haven't assessed yet).

My shopping philosophy (since I've got a real job and no longer have to shop like a college kid, which is the closest and cheapest) is firmly based upon the shopping experience. If my experience is not good, I don't come back. I can ALWAYS get those products, car repair, groceries, yarns, anything, somewhere else. Promise.

I encourage you all--all knitters everywhere!--to stand up for your right to be treated like a human being, especially by someone who is not entitled to your money. Your patronage is a precious gift to that store owner. If they piss you off, try this...visit their store to select the yarns you want, so you have an opportunity to feel the texture, then leave empty handed. Order the yarn online from a reputable shop and knit yourself happy!

WE are the consumers...don't forget...WE run the economy!!
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  4:55:33 PM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message
I know that some owners can be very rude. I had one lady at my lys slam the needles down on the counter because I was buying them from the sidewalk sale, half price. I think that is rude also. I have found another store in the next town to purchase my items. Find a new store. Good luck.

Linda

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  10:52:37 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
Saturday we went to NOLA (New Orleans) to take care of some business. This is a 2.5 hour drive for us.

A friend suggested I visit a yarn store called the Garden District Needle & Yarn store. She said it was BIG, but a little "pricey."

It was soooooo WONDERFUL! I took along a pattern I wanted to find some yarn for. I thought if things were too pricey for me I would just have a wonderful time seeing all that yarn.

I asked a lady who worked there if I could get some assistance. My pattern called for Encore, but I wasn't certain if that is what I wanted.

She led me off to some wonderful fleece. (This is for a poncho for a young granddaughter.) The next thing I knew a second employer (or owner) was there with us -- figuring out how much yarn I would need of the fleece, and suggesting various colour schemes! They were patient and very helpful.

Needless to say, I forgot about "pricey", got what I needed and never batted an eye when she rang it up. I was delighted to have such wonderful help.

As I was leaving one of the ladies said that since I live so far away, that if I needed more of that yarn I could always order on line (from another source), which of course would mean they wouldn't be making a sale from that. However, the good will and customer service will be remembered by me!

Quinn, thinking I would be several hours in the yarn shoppe, went across the street to Juan's Flying Burrito and found a great margarita. He was amazed I was finished so quickly, but when you have capable and friendly assistance, making a decision was easy.

Admiral Annie
Grand View Marina
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

Miiki
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  10:28:40 PM  Show Profile Send Miiki a Private Message
I will keep it brief but ditto on most of the comments.
I have worked in both public, health and retail services and to me, Excellent Customer Service is a #1 Priority.
This woman lacks manners and sensitivity- as well as good business sense!
Like most of us, I prefer to support LYS as they are good for community. But when one can not get helpful and appropriate Customer Service, then by all means- shop online!
Best
Miiki
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  06:14:31 AM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
Oh my. I cannot believe the firestorm my post produced "way back when." This is the first time I have been back to this thread since I posted... and "crap yarn" and "knit nazi" seem to have become major buzzwords. I can see that my experience is not isolated.
To respond to a poster who said that I should not expect a question answered about another pattern/yarn right after purchasing $100 worth of yarn, you may be right. However, in my defense, it was a very quick question (about worming chenille, I posted another thread on this subject ). That being said, I still see your point. I also want to say that for every obnoxious LYS I have been to, there are two good ones! Thank you to all the owners who are respectful and helpful. No one ever says anything when things are going well--it's only when things go poorly that people complain. Kindness and civility are taken for granted! So thank you again! There have been owners and employees who have bent over backward to help me and people I know and I am very appreciative.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  07:14:34 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
As a LYS owner I always read this section of the Forums and take to heart every criticism posted.
I think it's time to put some thought into some of the rude, demanding patrons out there. There are not too many, but perhaps a few that can really rankle your day. They are:
The out-of-town customer who walks in with a current ad from your store and immediately tells you that "you have no idea of what is going on out there in the world of knitting." She is pointing to a photo of a contemporary hooded sweater; and tells me that her fun fur scarf is what is going on. This was done in a snotty and arrogant manner. Our advertising has an extreme amount of thought put into it as we have a store image that we want.
Then there is the regular patron who can't keep her nose out of my partner's and my business discussions. She is sitting and knitting at least 20 feet away, straining her ears; then offers her own comments as how to deal with the problem. She stays a minimum of 8 hours at a time, at least 4 days a week. We now have to go outside to hold our discussions to have privacy. With her never-ending, loudly, and sometimes crassly expressed comments about everything, I'm about ready to tear my hair out after 2 hours!
Then there is the customer who asks you to hold yarn for her for months at a time,never spends more that 15.00 and tells you that she is one of your best customers and that she deserves priority treatment.
How about the customer that tells you that your discount punch card doesn't mean diddley squat and loudly computes at the counter what it averages out to. Our other patrons are thrilled at the free ball of yarn they recieve after x amount of purchase- not to mention the free "Jelly" bag they get after another amount. She does this on every visit.
We have so many great patrons and always welcome the new ones, but sometimes it's the patrons that can make a LYS owner a little cranky.
We try to bend over backward to help all, but I feel that there is another side to the coin as well. KL
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  08:15:32 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
KL sounds like your store policies are far too generous. LYS I know of will hold yarn for about a month; you'll receive a friendly but firm call telling you to pick up the yarn or it goes back on the shelf.

As for the 8 hour customer, you need to lay down the law and tell her you are having a business meeting and will be closing. No way in hell do I move my meetings out of my shop for a customer! Next tiem she starts offering up her comments, say something to the effect of "If it was your shop and money we might pay attention."

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
A month?! I have never known a bookstore that will hold a book for a customer for more than a week unless it's a good, regular customer. A month seems like an outrageous amount of time to hold anything for anyone without the promise of payment.

And KL, I hear you about the difficult customers. It can be enough to push me over the edge some days.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  10:14:30 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
As far as i'mconcerned the best place to eat in NOLA is Brigsten's...it's at the end of the trolley line. of course the other places mentioned are also good. in fact i think it's hard to get a bad meal in New Orleans.

oh right - this is about bad LYSOs well there are 3 places in my town that call themselves yarn shops but they are all run by such unpleasant people that i gladly drive to a nearby town for all my yarn. the yarn store there is wonderful.
nell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.