Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Customer Service at LYS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mo
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  9:30:45 PM  Show Profile Send Mo a Private Message
One peeve about my LYS is the question of getting help. I have bought plenty of expensive yarn from them, so they can't use the "crap yarn" excuse. Perhaps they are reluctant to give help because it might keep people from taking their classes or buying instruction books.
A review class, to be given to anyone who had taken a class that semester, was to cover ONLY what the instructor had taught in the class - it's doubtful she would remember, btw. This class was later canceled. So another opportunity for help was lost.
Another time I was surprised to the the LYSO lavishing _lots_ of free help to a new customer when...guess who (me)...had been rebuffed on numberous occasions.
I can't get over the fact that _other_ people are using the term Knit Nazi. ;-)
I've been using it for months before I came across this Forum.
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
Well, I went back to the LYS and got a wonderful welcome (Where have you been, etc?). However, she was not interested in helping me select yarn etc. More interested in the new store they are moving to and how to display things. I went with a friend from my office on lunch time. She bought yarn she needed, but could not get the advice she needed. So she waited a couple days and went back when she knew the LYSO would not be there. I did buy some yarn which was on sale to make a baby blanket and a couple pair of needles I needed. However, I used my check card as a "credit" card because I now know it irks her to no end. She prefers checks or using your check card as a debit card (as a debit card it costs less for her).

I was so hoping that she really was retiring and the other ladies were taking it over; however, since she has this new infusion of $$ and personnel who have a stake in the shop, it looks like she is staying put -- and most of my yarn will continue to be purchased elsewhere and on line.

Annie

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

Mo
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  1:51:25 PM  Show Profile Send Mo a Private Message
I decided to go to nearby 2 LYS's I haven't patronized in years. One has a new owner. The stock is quite limited, but at least the new owner was very helpful. I asked about "help" and she told me that she would give private classes either before or after store hours for $20/hr. This _seemed_ reasonable as I have found another person (80 mi. away) who charges $35/hr. for private classes - she is, however, a famous knitting maven.
The second store was well-stocked with clothing, books, supplies, etc. I noted that the Addi-Turbo circular needles (my favorite) were well-stocked in the 24" length (much more versatile IMO for projects like hats with jumbo yarn) than at the Knitting Nazi LYO, where the owners seem to look down on you if you want anything longer than 16".
I have been getting the Addi-Turbo needles on the internet, but it will probably be a lot easier just to purchase them from the other LYS now.
Thank God for competititon!
BTW, I didn't comment before on the sarong story which started this thread, but it will forever stick in my memory as one of the rudest things I have ever heard.
After reading all the comments, I have come to the conclusion that yarn shop owners and staff tend to be a very strange group indeed. I have no idea why (unless it has to do with money troubles), but there seems to be no question that it is true.
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  9:20:21 PM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message
First of all, the LYSO was rude and she does not deserve to make any more money from you. I had a local store that the owner was rude to me. When I found out another store opened in the next town, I wrote her a letter explaining why I won't be back and now I frequent the new store quite often.

I had been treated rude in this LYS for a while, but the last straw was when I purchased some afghan hooks that were half price on the sidewalk sale, and the lady practically banged them on the counter as she rang them up. It's still a sale, even if it was half price.

Nobody should be treated rude. After all, you are the customer, and without customers, they don't make any money.

Nobody should be told their yarn is crap. I think that is just rude and bad business.

Find a new store. Mine is definately worth the 10 miles to get there verses 1-1/2 miles and a crabby business woman.

Good luck in finding a place that appreciates your business.

Linda

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

Joelle
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  09:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joelle's Homepage Send Joelle a Private Message
As a knit shop owner, I wonder if anyone ever feels like sharing positive experiences at knit shops?? I know I work very hard to make my customers happy, and I'm sure most other shop owners do too. It is disheartening reading all of these awful experiences....
Joelle
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  09:29:35 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Joelle, we do have threads on favourite shops, which is where we put the good experiences. Unfortunately some LYS wre started as de facto knitting clubs for a select few. I have dealt with only one LYS that is not top notch.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

curlyq
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  09:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit curlyq's Homepage Send curlyq a Private Message
There are some great stores in my area (Northern VA) and I will go post about them! I have only run into one store that I didn't really like, out of about 8 that I have visited. So really, I think there are a lot more good stores than bad!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  4:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I have had just 1 store within about 45 minutes of my home. Then a new one just opened about 30 minutes the other direction. I went down to take a look at their stock and it was very nice, but the gal was not - well, friendly. The one that is 45 minutes away will be my store of preference. There I can relax and visit and SPEND!!!

Sharon in NW PA
Go to Top of Page

knittergrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  11:29:22 AM  Show Profile Send knittergrrl a Private Message
Joelle, this whole area of "ideal knitting shop" is good strokes for good stores. If we were all interested in auto parts, we could have good/bad stories about those stores. Sometimes ya just gotta vent. (see my thread re: LYS Sprgfld IL) thanks, joelle, for doing a good job so we all have more to cheer about. delta

2004 stats--FOs-19 (some scarves, 1st sweater, mittens, 2 felted cell phone purses, afghan) WIP--xmas gifts-lots! UFO-1
>>>Su voto es su voz!<<<
>>>Vote!<<<
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  11:07:49 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
Well- Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's run into the "rude owner" problem. I believe in supporting a LYS owned and operated by a small business owner - and would rather support them -even if the costs are a little higher than on the internet. They deserve to make a living and cannot pay rent, advertise, have classes, at the same prices as the internet shops. I want to be able to feel the yarn- and see the colors in different lighting, and am willing to pay extra to be able to do this. And I spend quite a bit of my mad money on knitting items. BUT-- the LYS 10 minutes from my house has the rudest owner I've ever met. I used to go in there at least once every other week - and she never acknowledged that she had seen me before. And her prices are ALOT higher - even more than other LYS. Her staff is great- but I'm not spending another dime in her store. There are too many nice people who care about their customers, love knitting and yarn and aren't trying to make a fortune on others.
Well, It feels great to get this off my chest,- Saving my money for STICHES EAST!!!

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

galleylama@juno.com

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  05:44:26 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama@juno.com a Private Message
I always thought that one of the things a yarn shop would be motivated to do was encourage shoppers to try new techniques and further their knitting abilities in the effort to sell more (and may be more expensive) yarn. We have a new LYS and they are so busy chatting with their "friends" who are sitting and knitting that you can't get waited on.I guess I didn't know local protocol when I asked if there was more stock of a yarn I wanted - the one woman rolled her eyes at me. I walked out of the store leaving about $100 worth of yarn laying on the counter. One of the ladies yelled out (as I was pulling the door open to leave) oh wait I have time to help you now! I just smiled and replied that they seemed too busy, so don't bother. In a half hour I was home having iced tea with my yarn ordered online. Now, I know that my knitting ability is beyond anything I have seen them do in this store, and beyond what their "regular" customers are knitting ,but they do not know that about my knitting ability . They just seem to have no interest in bothering with someone who isn't in their group. I guess they really don't need or want new customers and really aren't a retail store, but more of a club. The one thing they did sell me on was driving the extra distance to the other LYS where they might not remember your name but remember that you are a frequent customer and smile and say hi and are willing to help with purchases.
Go to Top of Page

knittingfever04
Chatty Knitter

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  2:39:48 PM  Show Profile Send knittingfever04 a Private Message
What does LYS stand for?
Go to Top of Page

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  2:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
Local Yarn Store

Tess - Timeless Endings Soar Skyward
http://autumnsnowdust.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
A friend of mine is a mystery shopper & she gets some really good assignments. It's too bad that LYS aren't really subjected to formal mystery shops. But then again, who needs mystery shoppers when we have forums like this???

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  06:22:50 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
Taking a chance the other week, I returned to the LYS that I mentioned in my very first post that started this thread. While the LYSO was a tad more friendly and actually inquired as to where I had been, she is still full of herself. A co-worker from my office also noticed this.

While I wanted to actually say to the LYSO that I had been shopping on line because she had been so rude and insensitive, I was brought up better than that and just mumbled something about health problems (which was true as I had been having some difficulties).

Knowing more of what I was looking for since I have become a bit more experienced with knitting on my own, I went straight for the sale section and made selections.

So far so good, right?

Wrong!!

When I put my selections on the counter, the LYSO gave me lessons in her new accounting software and how it works!! "Please", I thought, "I really don't care -- just ring up the dangnabbit purchases and let me get out of here!" However, I politely mumbled something like "That is nice you have updated" (thinking to myself -- now update your customer service manners!)

She has taken on several partners and they are very nice and helpful -- So now my co-worker at I either individually or when we are together, cruise by the store. If we see license plates with "KNITNOW" there, we don't stop in that day -- those plates belong to the primary owner.

To address positive comments about LYS and LYSO -- If I had some other yarn shops in my region who knew what customer service was about and provided such, I would comment positively. But alas, other than the aforementioned LYSO I only have Michaels, Joann, Hobby Lobby and on line stores. So for somethings I do go to those stores, at least the cashiers are nice and don't tell me about their cashiering techniques or software that run the programs! All my experiences on line have been excellent, esp. one person (can't recall her store name - but her name is Kate Painter -- out in Washington or Oregon. She provides excellent personal service -- I think it is Paradise Fibers)

That's my 2 cents worth today!

Admiral Annie
Grand View Marina
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  12:55:23 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Well, on the other hand, I just witnessed the classic pain in the tushie customer this morning. I was there, oh, half an hour, and the woman spent that entire time dragging the owner (clerk?) around, saying things like, "well, look what you've done to me now, now I can't decide at all!" whenever a helpful suggestion was offered. The only service for me was a hello when I walked in but I can definitely understand that it would have been hard (though maybe a relief?) to peel away from that customer for me. Anyway, there was a friendly person there to check out (the shop is in a bookstore with cash registers in common) so I found what I wanted by myself, paid and left.
Oh, and Joelle, my FAVORITE shop has WONDERFUL service, she has helped me with color selection, discussed techniques, admired my work, whatever, but the one this morning has a better selection and is next door to my husband's office -- I had to drop him off today and couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

newworlddavinci
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  6:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit newworlddavinci's Homepage  Send newworlddavinci a Yahoo! Message Send newworlddavinci a Private Message
Ya'at'eeh

I must say anybody who laughs at you when you are about to purchase something from them should close up shop for the day and think seriously if they ever want to open shop again. I dont have a local yarn shop, so I drive for 1.5 hours to get to one. Luckily the ladies there are great, they dont have many men come in to shop and they have always been pleasant to everyone in the store (at least while I was there) but I have been in shops (not just yarn shops) where the people treat you like crap if you buy the bargan bin items. Or if you havent been in the shop they act snooty to you. Sheesh definity not the way to run a business. Where I live now is a very small town and if a shop owner is having a bad day he closes his doors and goes fishing or skiing (thats realy all there is to do here) and the town pretty much accepts that, at least you dont have to deal with them. Of course they also have a habit of taking off just to to fool around (untill they feel the money crunch .
I hope your daughter is feeling better and remember you (collectively) are perfect just the way you are; however, feel free to make improvments if you want to.

In the words of Red Green "Keep your stick on the ice, were all in this together"

Hagoshii
Jeorge
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  6:43:47 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Okay, here's a pet peeve. Though my complaint right now is specifically directed toward an online transaction, I think it applies in person as well. Let's call the complaint "too much information!" I'd been waiting on a pattern book I ordered online. They emailed when I ordered saying they were out of stock and they would have them in in about a week and a half. Fine. So I waited close to 3 weeks and hadn't received anything, so I send a polite email asking if there's any news. Then I get a response back, completely unprofessional griping about the pattern company, about how long she sat on hold with customer service, etc, etc. I understand she doesn't want to be blamed for something that is out of her control, but really, a simple "I'm sorry, we're still waiting for our shipment," would have sufficed. I've never ordered from this store before, I don't know her, so why would she tell me all of their nasty dealings with another company? And I understand she wasn't at fault, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't apologize to me for not having filled my order yet, no matter what the reason. It's the polite, professional thing to do. I cancelled my order and have removed them from my "bookmarks." That was a huge turn-off for me.
Go to Top of Page

Of the Hunt
Warming Up

India
88 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile Send Of the Hunt a Private Message
I too live in No. VA and we are blessed with several great LYS. The one I go to the most however is the hardest to shop at for many of the same reasons in this whole thread. The owner is a doll. She has several patient, kind, creative employees. She has a couple that, well....let's just say one day I took a in completed sweater with a hard-to-seam collar for advice. It was a big floppy shawl collar and I had basted the entire piece into place carefully. This one employee took it from me and ripped half of my basting out and began seaming the collar with great big ugly stitches. My eyeballs fell out of my head and I was too stunned to react quickly enough to save my basting! And I'm an assertive lady and a good knitter. God knows how a quiet beginner would have handled the situation. I grabbed it back from her and RAN out the door before I got any more "help". It turns out this employee's favorite word is "can't", you can't do this, you can't do that.

So now I too employ the drive-by technique to see who is working when I go in there. Twice this same woman has told me that I can't use the yarn I have chosen to knit the garment I want. And she was wrong wrong wrong. Now I have to avoid her at all costs. And I hate it. It makes running errands much harder! And then there's the greatly uncomfortable situation when the "nice" employee is helping you and the "mean" one interferes!!!!

How come the LYSO's don't know about this?? What can we do to help them? Besides fessing up face to face? Why aren't I brave enough to deal with this like a grown-up?

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Kim M
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  07:25:03 AM  Show Profile Send Kim M a Private Message
My personal pet peeve, at a LYS or any store, is when the employees (or, worse, the owners) discuss how much they dislike a particular customer.

For example, yesterday I was browsing at a LYS that I almost never frequent because of the snooty acting staff and owner. They do have great stuff on their sale table, though, and now and again I can't resist. Anyway, I was browsing a basket of yarn near the checkout area, and one employee(within earshot of the owner) says to the other employee. "You know who I don't like? I don't like the new lady who is in my Sunday class." She can't think of her name, so she gets out the list of students and they begin to talk about each one; who they like and don't, sometimes actually mentioning names!

I can't imagine anything more unprofessional!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?