Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Customer Service at LYS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  11:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've had nothing but great situations in NYC - I think the city gets a bad rap sometimes (a favorite instance was when I was waiting for the subway with a friend of mine, the two of us singing showtunes at the top of our very large lungs, and a total stranger held the door for us so we didn't miss it, saying "You girls sing like that I'll hold any door in the state for you..")

I would really like to hope that you misinterpretted her laughter, but she should be ashamed of herself. Hope you found your help elsewhere (this is where that scene from Pretty Woman would work so nicely, where she goes back to the shop that wouldn't help her and says "you guys work on commission, right? Big mistake, Huge!")

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

up2late
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  12:12:03 PM  Show Profile Send up2late a Private Message
Whew - this topic just begs for a comment!
Admiral Annie, you are the customer - you are right. If that is the only yarn store, ask at the other places to stock what you want. Many of the chains will special order. Our Wal-Mart has been getting in some nice stuff.
As far as "crap" yarn, well - why do people have to be such a snob about it. Another forum I visit is chatting about using plastic grocery bags! Most of us like to knit because it soothes us in a creative way. The message is the media.
Go to Top of Page

yarngirl13
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  08:46:35 AM  Show Profile Send yarngirl13 a Private Message
My ideal knitting shop would have friendly service (and yes, it can be found in NYC, check out Seaport Yarns and the Yarn Connection), a range of yarn in varying price levels and colors, plenty of space, and at least one or two large tables for customers to sit with friends or to contemplate their next project. It's always great to be able to lay out several different yarns when knitting a striped sweater to see how they would flow.

I would also love to see lots and lots of swatches for the yarns that are carried and loads of books and patterns for ideas.

And...don't forget loads of classes and at least one knitter's night. Even if they charged $5.00 or asked you to bring a refreshment, it would be lots of fun to sit around with other knitters when given the chance.
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  09:45:48 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
Wow! Amazing that this topic died off a little and thanks to KNIT RED SOCKS came alive again. Our LYS has also referred to yarn purchased anywhere but her yarn store as "crap" yarn. She doesn't like that some of us order on line -- but she requires such a substantial order size and I prefer to order only what I need which is what I can do on line.

I can't recall who posted about the YARN NAZI. It gave me a good chuckle because that would be an appropriate name for our LYSO -- and reminded me of a Jerry Seinfeld episode (Soup Nazi).

Regardless of the venue of business, good customer service is what brings repeat business back to your store OR restaurant. When I am at a restaurant and they ask how everything is, if there is a valid problem I will mention it and if serious enough ask for the manager. I feel if they don't know what the problem is they should know about it so it can be fixed rather than say to myself "I am not going back to that restaruant". Thus, I think I just answered my own question and affirmed something someone else posted -- when I next go to the LYS in question here in the Gulf area, and she gets "snooty" I will mention tactfully that I can obtain service elsewhere on line ('cause she knows she is the ONLY LYS in the area -- the only other places we have are Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnn's......

a friend at work tells me there is a great yarn shop in NOLA -- and I am only 2.5 hrs from there -- so the words ROAD TRIP are formulating in my brain. BTW, I ate at an Emerils restaurant there last year -- the one near Bourbon Street -- and it was *wonderful* -- the service was excellent, the food great, quiet -- a bit price my companion told me a year later -- about $100 for two for lunch.....but well worth it.

Currently I live aboard a 38 ft sailboat and we are in a very heavy rain period here -- all my yarn stash is safely packed away in waterproof bags (just in case) -- it might could leak on my head whilst I sleep but my yarn stays dry!!!

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
Rereading this thread reminds me of a saleswoman at my former LYS (as I now go to a new and probably the best LYS in the whole wide world--Flying Fingers in Irvington NY--all of you folks that live in NYC, you should definitely Metro North up there--it's worth the trip and the shop is just two blocks uphill from the station.)

Back to the saleswoman, every time that I would see her, she's standing and knitting and should you happen to need help, she gives you this look as if to say--how dare you bother me with just nonsense! And, then, she looks down the side of her nose and explains impatiently what you did wrong. She is definitely a contender for kniting nazi.

--Pam
Go to Top of Page

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
The only not fab experience I've had with a LYSO is when I took a friend to buy her first needles and yarn, and he told her that no, no, I was telling her to buy the wrong things and the HE should teach her! Come ON! I've been knitting for years, I think I know how to pick simple yarn for a simple scarf. But we left and did NOT buy her supplies from him, and told him why.

I think that's key - we have to stand up to these judgemental yarn store owners and say NO! You cannot judge my knitting! I will go elsewhere and here's why...and I am leaving right now! Ptttht!

There's a stat that says that for every one complaint a store gets, there are 12 more unspoken. So just think of it as doing a favor for all the other knitters out there...

www.matiastudios.com
knittingdiva.diaryland.com
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  07:08:06 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
The words I've read on this thread have encouraged me to go back to our local (and only) LYS for some items I need and should I encounter the KNIT NAZI, when she asks "Annie, where have you been?," I will calmly and tactfully tell her that at times I have been intimidated by her demeanor and have been shopping on line and that there are other local knitters who feel the same way (which is true because I personally know them).

Annie

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  3:27:35 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
This reminds me of an incident that occoured to me a few years ago when I was buying a sewing machine at wal-mart. I went up to the head gal in the craft department and asked her if they had any machines that were well suited to quilting. (this was long before I discovered knitting and spinning) She proceeded to show me the sewing machines, reading the information right off of the displays! This was her department and I knew more about her products than she did. Since then, other members of my family have experienced some of her quirks. Once, my mother was buying fabric for a project. The Lady (as she came to be known) after saying that she didn't sew proceeded to tell my mother how and what to sew with what she intended to purchase. Since then, The Lady has proceeded to "instruct" us on knitting, sewing (my mother's hobby and what she majored in), and embroidery (my sister's hobby). Besides having absolutely horrid yarns, they went and hired a very intimidating but inept person to head their craft department. I have not been there in more than a year as a result.
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  08:19:52 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Reading this link reminded me of my newest shop. One day both owners were in and happened to ask me if I ever shopped at the next nearest store on Long Island. I answered that I had tried it, but no didn't frequent it any longer, but enjoyed their new store. They then asked why and I told them I found the young woman who runs the store rude and snobby and prefered not to give my business to that shop.(I work very hard for my money and it rubs me the wrong way to be treated poorly when shopping) The ladies went on to tell the story of why they had begun their shop. They themselves used to shop at the other shop and one day after leaving having once again been treated rudely decided that they could run a yarn shop better than that and decided to leave their jobs and open a shop. These ladies are always fun and perky and very helpful. Anything you are making is gorgeous and how nice it is to see you again. You always leave with a smile.
Go to Top of Page

knotty
Chatty Knitter

228 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  4:03:33 PM  Show Profile Send knotty a Private Message
An irresistable topic! Isn't a sorry comment how many of us have had such awful experiences? And isn't it grand that we have alternatives like the internet and forums (fora?)! My story concerns a LYS that I patronized ONCE. [That excursion involved trying to get my brother to pick yarn he would like for a sweater] Anyway, I was visiting my sister in a far, far away state and we went to her LYS. As things happened, the woman helping us asked where I was from, and when I told her, she asked me about that LYS in my home area. Exercising my limited supply of tact, I just rolled my eyes, and the woman in my sister's LYS said she had heard other complaints about that LYS. All that distance away, but the poor treatment was known. Warms my grinch-y little heart to know that their reputation is well-spread and well-deserved. I have never been back to that store. (Adm. Annie, I do have the luxury of other LYS's, which I understand you lack, but I commend your decision to front the issue with that rude woman.)
Kendra
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  7:46:47 PM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
There are two small LYS within a 30 minute drive (one north, one south) of my home, but I don't really frequent either. I prefer to drive an hour away to the best LYS! I've recently heard of severe mistreatment of one of my friends at the 30 minutes away south LYS, and I will not go back to that store. My husband is a knitter, and he'd gotten "abrupt" treatment at this store a time or two, but he thought it was just because he was a man and perhaps this place wasn't used to male knitters. I've been in there a couple of times and just didn't get that "warm and fuzzy" feeling. We found out recently that our friend had been absolutely berated in this shop for using Wal Mart yarn...and what do you expect when you use that stuff?...asked the lovely sales woman and shop owner. Our friend was working a complex afghan pattern and decided to use inexpensive yarn to work it in first as practice. She'd actually gone to this shop to chose some better quality yarn for her next afghan in this pattern. Well, because of the way they treated her, they've lost three customers at least. Me, my husband, and our friend. Word gets around about good shops and about the nasty ones.
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  10:39:04 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by goneisland2

The words I've read on this thread have encouraged me to go back to our local (and only) LYS for some items I need and should I encounter the KNIT NAZI, when she asks "Annie, where have you been?," I will calmly and tactfully tell her that at times I have been intimidated by her demeanor and have been shopping on line and that there are other local knitters who feel the same way (which is true because I personally know them).

Annie

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA

Even though I haven't read all the replies, I definitely read enough to get the "gist"! UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

I'm thinking you and your friends should get together and open your own little yarn shop and run her out of business! Man... if I lived near you, I'd certainly jump at the opportunity! But of course, that's just me.

Again, we are so blessed here in the NW to have quality, knowledgeable, CARING LYSO's & staff and surprisingly, one that has a poor reputation, even from visitors!, STILL manages to stay in business, in a very high rent district - I just don't get it

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  11:55:16 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
This is an update on my LYS/LYSO. Guess I won't have to confront her. Recently received the newsletter from her in which she tells that when her lease is up in November she is closing the store.

However, in a twist, a number of the local knitters are talking to her about forming a partnership. She outlined how it would work and apparently many are interested in partnering up. She may remain a "partner" possibly, but would not be in the store as she would be traveling with her husband in retirement!

Maybe it is safe to go back in the local water again (after November of course!)

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  12:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
I loved this topic! I once had a LYSO look me up and down and decide that because I was in my weekend sweats I couldn't possibly have the money to spend. I was ignored and she went to other customers wearing very expensive, trendy clothing. I left with the $200.00 I was prepared to spend that day.

Long story short, customer service was always a very big deal to me in my corporate career, hence, I opened my own online store.

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
The Yarn Nazi says: "No yarn for you!!!! Come back in one year!"

:-) :-) :-)

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Melwyn
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  06:04:07 AM  Show Profile Send Melwyn a Private Message
Oh, I am soooo glad I found this forum. I have only one LYS in my entire county and I get the same treatment sited above from the owner. I cant stand going in there anymore. I am a self-taught knitter and wanted to rely on the LYS to help me learn techniques and read patterns. No such luck. The owner is rude. I get the "crap yarn" comments too. And I only brought my Lion Brand yarn project in to show a friend before the knitting class started. I never asked her opinion or for help on my "cheap" scarf! The owner still makes comments about that yarn whenever she sees me! I consider that harrassment as I have never brought another project into her store since. I have to drive 20 miles to the next county to buy yarn (luckily, I'm in little Maryland and counties aren't far apart). I almost want to open my own shop to show them how it is done. I am a college student (I am a 29yo returning student) and I am renevating an old house. I obviously don't have a ton of money to spend on "good" yarn on my budget. As much as I'd like a huge stash of designer yarn...

At any rate, I am working on my first sweater. I have no local support because the LYS also runs the only guild and knit-togethers here. I don't know anyone who knits. My LYSO is from NY or NJ and prides herself on her mannerisms (which I find appauling). I don't mean to pick on Northerners. I know a ton of friendly northener folks. I dont unddrstand why this owner thinks everyone from the northeast is mean. I wont spend my hard earned cash there anymore. I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone. I thought it was me being sensitive. If I knew any other knitters, I'd try to protest this shop owner. But I dont, so I am a one-woman army.

Thanks for such a great forum! Thanks for "listening" to me vent my frustrations.
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  08:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
North American Sarongs are definitely made for size 2 women. AUGH. I mean, what's wrong with an extremely gravid woman daring to wear one?

Anyway, I've ranted about the "lobster LYS" that was near me elsewhere on the forum. I don't think I'll ever go back there. My LYS is wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  08:13:42 AM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
I didn't like going to a particular shop because I thought the owner was somewhat cold and abrupt, but I went back a year or so later, and she was much friendlier and more helpful. I found out from another knitter that the store owner had been quite ill and was upset about it, but is now fine. So you never know...

But LAUGHING at your purchace--to the point where you felt you had to say something like, "Not for my FAT daughter, for the other one"--well, that is just plain inexcusable!

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page

telket@hotmail.com

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile Send telket@hotmail.com a Private Message
Thanks for all these messages. Now I don't feel like such an outcast.
I, too, am having trouble with my LYS and LYSO. I have bought plenty of expensive yarn, but no one seems to want to help me at the store. Certain customers are greeted effusively, while I have been ignored. Staff seems too interested in personal business and gossip. In sum, the LYS displays a genuinely unprofessional attitude.
I have taken the shop's classes too, but there is a real lack of co-ordination between teachers and salespeople selling supplies. If the LYS sells me the wrong item for a class, they are reluctant to exchange or take it back. Lately, the LYSO told me that I was no longer welcome in their classes after a mixup regarding supplies. Such a shame because the store has a great selection of yarn, and I had recommended it to many people.
I will be doing my purchasing at other shops now - even if they are miles away.
Go to Top of Page

twstdstchs
Chatty Knitter

178 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  8:02:26 PM  Show Profile Send twstdstchs a Private Message
I love this topic too! There is one LYSO who made me very uncomfortable in her shop and I haven't been back there since. Luckily there are several lys in the area. Nothing directed at me personally, but she was really giving one of her employees a hard time: "See this....this should be done already, THIS shouldn't be MY job" yadda, yadda. If I was a frequent shopper, what would I do if I had a question, I would be afraid to go to her store for help. I was recently in Michael's and noticed that they have quite a bit more yarn, even wool. I don't think they carried 100% wool before. Sheryl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?