Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Steeks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
This forum reminds me that I want to ask my LYS people if they loan out videos! Keep meaning to do that when I am there! I would love to watch some of EZ and her daughter and others! I started my dh's cardigan in the round last night and I thought I heard steeks calling me! I am doing it open on circular needles, not in the round, so I won't be cutting it, but anything that makes it faster sounds like I should look into it. Actually, I am not sure what you would call what I am doing. This pattern is done all the way around the body from the bottom up, but the fronts are open, not in a tube. Barb

Go to Top of Page

Shysmommy
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  06:50:27 AM  Show Profile Send Shysmommy a Private Message
That sounds so interesting, but I can't quite picture it........I might have to find a video.....so it sounds like basiclally you knit it int he round and then when you are done you creat an opening in the front' or sleeves......that sounds pretty cool!

If you see someone without a smile give them yours.
Go to Top of Page

Shysmommy
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  06:50:27 AM  Show Profile Send Shysmommy a Private Message
That sounds so interesting, but I can't quite picture it........I might have to find a video.....so it sounds like basiclally you knit it int he round and then when you are done you creat an opening in the front' or sleeves......that sounds pretty cool!

Go to Top of Page

Shysmommy
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  2:51:25 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hi Jane,

I had never attempted a fair isle prior to starting the Philosophers Garden Patch in pastels. I purchased the book and the video and to tell you the truth Jane, I needed BOTH of them to learn this technique so that I would feel comfortable knitting the sweater.

I took my time practicing the Continental knitting method and when I was "somewhat" comfortable with it, I shakily began my first fair isle sleeve. Ann's method takes a bit of practice until you get a ryhthm going with it, but once you do, it's the greatest method I've seen so far! I am weaving the colors one under the other instead of stranding, so that in the end result I won't have all sorts of yarn ends to weave in, nor will I have any floats <yippee>.

If you want to discuss it further, don't hesitate to email me and I will be happy to share any info with you that I can. I'd say a big thumbs up! Go for it, Jane.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Hi Jane,

I had never attempted a fair isle prior to starting the Philosophers Garden Patch in pastels. I purchased the book and the video and to tell you the truth Jane, I needed BOTH of them to learn this technique so that I would feel comfortable knitting the sweater.

I took my time practicing the Continental knitting method and when I was "somewhat" comfortable with it, I shakily began my first fair isle sleeve. Ann's method takes a bit of practice until you get a ryhthm going with it, but once you do, it's the greatest method I've seen so far! I am weaving the colors one under the other instead of stranding, so that in the end result I won't have all sorts of yarn ends to weave in, nor will I have any floats <yippee>.

If you want to discuss it further, don't hesitate to email me and I will be happy to share any info with you that I can. I'd say a big thumbs up! Go for it, Jane.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Hi Jane,

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Okay I'm intrigued. How do you weave one color under the other. My sweaters with patterns on the inside, look like h**l.
Thanks.
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Okay I'm intrigued. How do you weave one color under the other. My sweaters with patterns on the inside, look like h**l.
Thanks.
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Thanks.
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  09:18:41 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi. I love the Philosopher's Wool sweaters. BUY THE BOOK, IT IS WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT! I didn't have the money to purchase the video but I purchased the book and it truly walks you through the method step by step! The first sweater I made was with Lion's brand Wool-ease yarn (for cost efficiency)! Before I cut open my sweaters I use the sewing machine to really sew a very good zig zag seam down each side of the steek (or vertical line of stitches to cut open). It is VERY scarry the first time, but it works! I love their patterns and would love to make about 5 more sweaters/cardigans JUST FOR ME

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Hi. I love the Philosopher's Wool sweaters. BUY THE BOOK, IT IS WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT! I didn't have the money to purchase the video but I purchased the book and it truly walks you through the method step by step! The first sweater I made was with Lion's brand Wool-ease yarn (for cost efficiency)! Before I cut open my sweaters I use the sewing machine to really sew a very good zig zag seam down each side of the steek (or vertical line of stitches to cut open). It is VERY scarry the first time, but it works! I love their patterns and would love to make about 5 more sweaters/cardigans JUST FOR ME

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Go to Top of Page

magikaat
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  9:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit magikaat's Homepage Send magikaat a Private Message
Long before I knew what a steek was, I was sewing sweaters together on the sewing machine as well as taking in sweaters by sewing two lines of machine sewing and cutting between the lines--it works, I have been doing it a long time and have never had a problem with it. I use a straight stitch vs. a zig-zag stitch, but I don't think it makes a great deal of difference, a zig-zag just has more give to it,so would de well on a knitted fabric i.e. knitted sweater.

Go to Top of Page

magikaat
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  9:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit magikaat's Homepage Send magikaat a Private Message
Long before I knew what a steek was, I was sewing sweaters together on the sewing machine as well as taking in sweaters by sewing two lines of machine sewing and cutting between the lines--it works, I have been doing it a long time and have never had a problem with it. I use a straight stitch vs. a zig-zag stitch, but I don't think it makes a great deal of difference, a zig-zag just has more give to it,so would de well on a knitted fabric i.e. knitted sweater.

Go to Top of Page

magikaat
New Pal

5 Posts

Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  10:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I have the Fair Isleknitting book by A. Starmore and this is where I first learned what a steek is. Boy, does it feel weird to think about cutting into your knitting. However, if I recall it right, she darns in every single strand and mentions that in the "ol' days" the men would often do this. Imagine your hubbies/boyfriends sitting there darning in endless little pieces of colored yarn.

Happy Knitting,
DREA
knitter@newsguy.com
http://love2knit.8m.com/
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  10:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I have the Fair Isleknitting book by A. Starmore and this is where I first learned what a steek is. Boy, does it feel weird to think about cutting into your knitting. However, if I recall it right, she darns in every single strand and mentions that in the "ol' days" the men would often do this. Imagine your hubbies/boyfriends sitting there darning in endless little pieces of colored yarn.

Happy Knitting,
DREA
knitter@newsguy.com
Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Hi all,

Happy Knitting,
DREA
knitter@newsguy.com
Go to Top of Page

Shari
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  05:28:00 AM  Show Profile Send Shari a Private Message
Hi Kathy
I am doing my first steeking but I jump in with both feet I am doing aNorwegian with the traditional Heidal pattern. With my home spun. The onely reason i am trying this is I have a friend that does Steeks. Go luck with you tedbear sweater. If you can't tell i don't like to do gauges either.
Shari

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.