Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Steeks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  6:22:02 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I'm making the teddy bear sweater in the last issue of Knitters magazine (Yipes Stripes issue). I decided to try this small version with steeks before I have to cut into my Philosopher fair isle when it's completed.

My question is this....the directions say I can crochet a chain on the right side of the sweater on the 1st and 4th row of the steek stitches UP the front (I knit the steek sts through the back loop of the 4 sts in the middle of the front).

I'm not sure just how to execute this and whether or not I should follow these directions, or should I machine stitch around the steeks? It seems so awkward to hold the yarn against the wrong side of the sweater and hook it through to each right side steek stitch. I'm a nervous wreck about the actual cutting so I need help and encouragement from my wonderful fellow knitters. I'm in your hands!

Warmest Regards, Patience

Ariella
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  6:53:49 PM  Show Profile Send Ariella a Private Message
what are steeks?

jayme

Go to Top of Page

Ariella
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

what are steeks?

jayme

Go to Top of Page

Ariella
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

what are steeks?

jayme

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  7:15:15 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Jayme,

That's a question I would have asked about a year ago, LOL. I had no idea what they were and when I found out, I figured I'd NEVER be doing any steeks, so never say never.

A steek is a spot in your knitting that is cut open to sew in a sleeve, or to cut up the front for a cardigan opening. As I mentioned, I am knitting a fair isle sweater now, and will have to cut it when it's finished and the thought scares me to death. That's why I decided to do the bears sweater first----to try and get my courage up.
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Jayme,

That's a question I would have asked about a year ago, LOL. I had no idea what they were and when I found out, I figured I'd NEVER be doing any steeks, so never say never.

A steek is a spot in your knitting that is cut open to sew in a sleeve, or to cut up the front for a cardigan opening. As I mentioned, I am knitting a fair isle sweater now, and will have to cut it when it's finished and the thought scares me to death. That's why I decided to do the bears sweater first----to try and get my courage up.
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Jayme,

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  12:32:34 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I have been knitting for years and never heard of steeks either.From your reply to Jayme I get the idea now(I think) but the thought of cutting into the knitting would terrify me.Please let us know how you get on.In order to cut straight down the middle for the cardigan do you do a different stitch so that you have something to follow with your scissors?
Can't wait to follow your progress
Regards
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  12:32:34 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I have been knitting for years and never heard of steeks either.From your reply to Jayme I get the idea now(I think) but the thought of cutting into the knitting would terrify me.Please let us know how you get on.In order to cut straight down the middle for the cardigan do you do a different stitch so that you have something to follow with your scissors?
Regards
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Regards
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  04:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Cut, cut, darling Patience. Rick Mondragon is not going to lead you astray. And if you are still nervous - knit a little 10 stitch square with the twisted stitches on the side and the crochet loops up the twisted stitches. do your first snip on that.

And Marjorie & Jayme look at the Elizabeth Zimmermann videos to see how even the greatest of the pros shivers at the thought of snipping through preciously knitted fabric - and how successfully it works. When she and her daughter make those moaning sounds I always burst out in - at least a big grin. You cut down the "V" of the center stitch in the steek stitches. That's the guide you follow.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  04:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Cut, cut, darling Patience. Rick Mondragon is not going to lead you astray. And if you are still nervous - knit a little 10 stitch square with the twisted stitches on the side and the crochet loops up the twisted stitches. do your first snip on that.

And Marjorie & Jayme look at the Elizabeth Zimmermann videos to see how even the greatest of the pros shivers at the thought of snipping through preciously knitted fabric - and how successfully it works. When she and her daughter make those moaning sounds I always burst out in - at least a big grin. You cut down the "V" of the center stitch in the steek stitches. That's the guide you follow.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Ariella
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  10:16:18 AM  Show Profile Send Ariella a Private Message
cut?! my knitting?! i don't think i'm ready for that quite yet... but good luck patience, i know you'll do well.

Go to Top of Page

Ariella
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

cut?! my knitting?! i don't think i'm ready for that quite yet... but good luck patience, i know you'll do well.

Go to Top of Page

Ariella
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  10:25:38 AM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
Patience, am interested that you're working on a Philosopher's Wool Fair Isle sweater. I've been drooling at their web site and would really like to try the pastel Color Your Own cardigan. Did you do Fair Isle before you began this sweater? Did you get their video and/or book? Were you comfortable with two-handed knitting before you started on this sweater? Please tell me all about it because I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge . . .

Jane

Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  10:25:38 AM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
Patience, am interested that you're working on a Philosopher's Wool Fair Isle sweater. I've been drooling at their web site and would really like to try the pastel Color Your Own cardigan. Did you do Fair Isle before you began this sweater? Did you get their video and/or book? Were you comfortable with two-handed knitting before you started on this sweater? Please tell me all about it because I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge . . .

Jane

Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Jane

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
This forum reminds me that I want to ask my LYS people if they loan out videos! Keep meaning to do that when I am there! I would love to watch some of EZ and her daughter and others! I started my dh's cardigan in the round last night and I thought I heard steeks calling me! I am doing it open on circular needles, not in the round, so I won't be cutting it, but anything that makes it faster sounds like I should look into it. Actually, I am not sure what you would call what I am doing. This pattern is done all the way around the body from the bottom up, but the fronts are open, not in a tube. Barb

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
This forum reminds me that I want to ask my LYS people if they loan out videos! Keep meaning to do that when I am there! I would love to watch some of EZ and her daughter and others! I started my dh's cardigan in the round last night and I thought I heard steeks calling me! I am doing it open on circular needles, not in the round, so I won't be cutting it, but anything that makes it faster sounds like I should look into it. Actually, I am not sure what you would call what I am doing. This pattern is done all the way around the body from the bottom up, but the fronts are open, not in a tube. Barb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?