Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Talk about shops profiled in Knitter's Review
 Patternworks changing hands and moving
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  03:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I am copying this post directly from KnitU Digest. It's not exactly bad news, but it is change and I read somewhere that nobody likes a change except a wet baby. Sigh, it's that name quilting that worries me - I've seen so many yarn shops dwindle away to just fabric when quilting takes over.

- -------------------------------Gail adds------------------------------
I thought it best to get the facts about this rather than us all speculating
and Linda wrote me the following with permission to pass it on to you, and
to any other lists you think would be interested. Keepsake Quilting I have
heard has always had excellent customer service so I have every reason to
expect that the same great service will continue. The store is now closed
for inventory, and like many business sales, until everything's signed on
the dotted line, its always wise to not broadcast what's going on. The
catalog and web site will continue, and there are plans for a store at some
point, I can't wait since its going to be a lot closer to me now than it has
been!

From Linda at Patternworks:
Yes, it's true! Patternworks has a new home with Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor, New Hampshire. Keepsake and Patternworks have operated over the years with the same uncompromising standards of quality, integrity and service. With the larger facilities and resources of Keepsake you can expect a new level of selection and service. Patternworks looks forward to serving you in the exceptional manner you've come to expect when it gets settled in its new home, and can still be reached at the same toll-free number and website. It's been a pleasure serving your knitting needs and I treasure the friendships I've made. Now, Marvin & I are looking forward to some less hectic time to enjoy the grand kids and other neglected areas of living (including knitting, for me!)Very best wishes,Linda Skolnik

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  4:31:48 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Bess: Thank you for the news. I am very sad about this as I have been doing business with them since they first opened with only a catalogue that was something like two pieces of 8-1/2 x 11 folded in half and only a mail order business. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  5:46:06 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I'm really sorry to hear this. I love the girls who take the phone orders at Patternworks and this means that they'll be out of a job soon. What a shame that is when people lose their jobs and it happens so often these days.

I will miss them and the excellent service they have always given. I only hope that the new company will continue with the great selections of yarns, books, videos, etc. and hope that they'll be as successful as Patternworks has been.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  7:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I hope things won't change too much, also! I only found Patternworks a few months ago, and just got a pattern from them. I really like their selection and service! Barb

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  8:21:34 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Have you tried their web site? Its sad as it says "Closed for Inventory starting May 20th!" Many good restaurants in San Francisco are "Closed for remodeling" which usually means closed forever. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  03:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I have not talked to anyone at Patternworks, but those who have say that the catalog operation won't change at all - but the store in NY will close. Eventually it is supposed to re-open as a storefront in New Hampshire. I hope so since once in my life I would like to walk down 10 foot isles of yarn arranged by weight and color.

It's that fear of the unknown though. Odd how trembly I feel about it because the Patternworks catalog is sort of my security blanket. If nothing else calms me, I can read that and think all's right with a world with that much colorful yarn. Eh. well. I have always gone kicking and screaming into anything new I didn't leap into. no middle ground here.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  09:21:08 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I have dealt with Keepsake Quilting for many years and can give it an uncompromising A+A+A+A+A+A+A+ rating. I have even called them to locate something that was in their catalog 5 years earlier and they have found it for me. Their service is immpecable. If we have to lose Patternworks, I am delighted that they are going with Keepsake. As for quilting taking over the yarn section, that will only happen if we do not order from them.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  11:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Ok, Fran you have soothed our frayed nerves with your comments! I will be pleased to order something from them as soon as they are back!! Barb

Go to Top of Page

chrisknit
Chatty Knitter

Australia
279 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  3:28:42 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknit a Private Message
I hope I'll still be able to order from Patternworks' webpage as I've found it very reliable in the past, having ordered from it 3 or 4 times. As I'm on the other side of the world, reliability is very important as I've tried others and the things I've ordered didn't arrive at all.

Chrissy

Go to Top of Page

nanknits
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send nanknits a Private Message
quote:
From BessH -
It's that fear of the unknown though. Odd how trembly I feel about it because the Patternworks catalog is sort of my security blanket. If nothing else calms me, I can read that and think all's right with a world with that much colorful yarn.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. It's my comfort reading. And I pick it up when I want to dream. What would that look like on me? On my DH? What about that handspun, handpainted stuff from the Andes? It's like traveling all over the world.

Peace, Nancy
Go to Top of Page

tyrone
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  06:00:08 AM  Show Profile Send tyrone a Private Message
I am so sad that Patternworks store is closing!! It is about an hour and a half from me, and was always well worth the trip. By far the largest shop I've ever been to, with the best quality yarns and books.....guess I'll have to call and find out when exactly the shop itself is closing forever, I still have a gift certificate from Christmastime that I was hoping to use!!!!!! Plus one of those keychain holder discount thingies!!!!! Arrrrghhhhh!!!!!!
On a less selfish vein, I would like to wish the Skolnicks a wonderful retirement!

Go to Top of Page

knitnut
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  7:22:28 PM  Show Profile Send knitnut a Private Message
I talked to the people at Patternworks the other day and they indicated that the stock is already in the process of being shipped to NH.

Unfortunately the website is not 'really' functioning as they are manually translating the web orders. They advised me that the order that I placed a week and a half ago will not ship for at least another 2 weeks.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the transition will go smoothly and that once the dust settles all will be back normal. Luckily I am not in dire need for the project I ordered.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  7:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Knitnut: Good luck in getting your order soon. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2002 :  7:37:49 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
While we still don't know what is happening with Patternworks has anyone tried Ram Wools in Canada? I have over the years ordered things from them and they are great. I would call their 800 number and order whatever from their catalog and it would arrive directly. It suddenly dawned on me that they have a web site and you should, by all means, check it out--its a Canadian Patternworks, but still there and they do business not only in Canadian dollars but US dollars which makes it even easier. Their website is www.ramwools.com. They have been in business about the same length of time as Patternworks and having ordered from Patternworks from the beginning I am in a position to know. Check it out. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

knitnut
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  04:53:58 AM  Show Profile Send knitnut a Private Message
Bev - thanks for the tip - you can never have enough knitting resources.

My Patternworks order finally arrived yesterday and I am again smiling. They enclosed a little gift and a short note indicating that the reason for the delay was due to the move to NH. I had ordered a couple of little things that I was sure were going to be backordered or forever lost in their moving process. Boy was I surprised....everything arrived. They have also updated all of ther administrative stuff (shipping labels, invoices etc, etc. etc). It seems like they are back in business and are working hard not to miss a beat.

Even though I am not a quilter the quilting keepsakes catalog that they enclosed looked very intriguing. HHHMMMHHHH....no, I like knitting too much to take up another hobby

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  09:03:45 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Knitnut: Glad you got your things. I am going to check out their quilting catalog not that I quilt. I did take a quilting magazine for a while and one evening I was looking at the latest issue and wondered what I was doing with it so I called my sister to see if her multitalented granddaughter, Angie (makes clothes WITHOUT patterns) quilted and she said no but our cousin Lorraine does. I immediately gathered up all the magazines and sent them off to her and called the magazine and transferred my subscription to her. Quilters are as bad as knitters--you would have thought I had given her the earth and moon. She does beautiful work. This might be a find for all of us. I hope you have checked out Ram Wools. I have had nothing but very good luck with them. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I'm not clear on just how to order now that the transition from Patternworks to Keepsake is completed. Is there a separate web site for Keepsake and what about the PW catalog? Can someone clarify these muddles for me? Thanks, since I've been muddles all around this week.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  8:14:14 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi Patience: I know what you mean. I was in a quandry and thought I have used Ram Wools before--use them again. Their website is www.ramwools.com. They have been in business since 1978 about the same time as Patternworks and if you go into their website it seems to be the same type operation but in Canada. I have ordered lots of stuff in the past from them and everything arrived in good order.
Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  8:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi Patience,

Not to worry, you can still shop straight from the Patternworks Web site. The merchandise is now in New Hampshire, and the site is up and running just as always. I placed an order from the Patternworks site and got a friendly email immediately from Keepsake.

The 800 number (on the site and catalog) still works fine, too - they say someone will be there to take your order from 8:30am to 9pm, otherwise you can use their automated "order taker" line. In fact, if you go to Keepsake Quilting's Web site you won't find any mention of knitting items. So you have to keep doing things like you always did!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  10:38:15 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Thank you Clara. We all know we can depend on you. I wasn't sure that Patternworks was still up and running and I have been dealing with them from the time they started. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?